Connecting 2 Subs

Feezelbum

At my age, I figure I really shouldn't be asking these questions, but...

My amp (Yamaha A-S2100) has a single pre-out (L/R).

If I was to connect two subs, would I:

1) purchase two y-splitters to connect both subs to the amp using both L/R inputs

or

2) connect one sub to the pre-out L and one to the R, using only one of the line in on the subs?

If both are viable ways of connecting the subs, is one preferred over the other?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks guys.  I figured as much, just wanted to check with the experts.

How do you like your A-S2100?

Bill

Bill,  Loving it.

I picked up a pair of La Scalas last week from another great forum member (Olorin) and it completely changed the soundstage, compared to the RF7iis.

I am actually able to run them with my equalizer set nearly flat, but it still feels a bit shallow in the low end, so I am looking at my options for a set of subs that will blend well.  That just may end my equalizer dependency =)

• Like 2

If the output is 8 Ohm, will that work with subs which are presumably 4 Ohm?

I've seen subs which accept L/R from the amp to the sub, THEN goes OUT L/R to the speakers.  Can we get a pic of the subs or a model number?

Here is the Yammie:

ced118196b13418f8796545747b71de7_12075.j

Edited by wvu80

How do you like your A-S2100?

Bill

Bill,  Loving it.

Accessories4less has the refurbished black A-S2100 for $1999.99 shipped with 3 year warranty.  MSRP is $3499.99.  If it was the silver model for that price, I would sell my Yamaha A-S1000, Integra DPS-10.5, Cambridge Audio 640A v2, and Cambridge Audio 840C to make that happen.

Bill

Edited by willland

Yes, powered subs.

I've been looking at several threads here, trying to decide which directions to go (i.e., ported, sealed, THT, DIY, etc.) and hadn't even thought about that.

If for music, sealed or better yet horn loaded to go with your La Scalas.

Bill

I wasn't having much luck adding a sub to my Belles, always sounded too boomy or forced. I love the bass in them (roughly identical to LS), they just rolled off short of the mark 100 hz +/-. I tried ported and sealed and always ended up without one. I am halfway through another attempt using the 25hz tapped horn design. I have one built and the other cut waiting on results. Based on the initial listen tests I have done, I like it very much. It does not quite keep up with the Belles if I push real hard, but that is not how I listen normally. I hope once the second is added, they will not loose a step (at reasonable levels) I am not sure this is the best option if you are looking HT but is testing out great for me as I am only using it for music. I intend to lay them on their side and use as a base for the Belles once finished to look nice. That way they will not take up any more valuable real estate and will elevate the mids and tweats closer to ear level which should be a good thing (as seen in the second photo.

Hope you get your system dialed in. I have LS and Belles and love the sound.

post-60988-0-28460000-1449328866_thumb.j

• Like 1

sorry, dropped off the second photo. The file was too big. I will resize and post

post-60988-0-82100000-1449329145_thumb.j

I am also using an outboard amp that I had, Dayton SA230 to drive these. I used the 8 ohm version of the driver from Anarchy so it can drive both in parallel.

Edited by MookieStl
  • Like 2

sorry, dropped off the second photo. The file was too big. I will resize and post

attachicon.giftap3.jpg

I am also using an outboard amp that I had, Dayton SA230 to drive these. I used the 8 ohm version of the driver from Anarchy so it can drive both in parallel.

If I was to opt for a dedicated outboard amp such as the Dayton, for example, to drive my subs, would I use my Yamaha pre-out into either the high level in or line in of the sub amp?

I wasn't having much luck adding a sub to my Belles, always sounded too boomy or forced. I love the bass in them (roughly identical to LS), they just rolled off short of the mark 100 hz +/-. I tried ported and sealed and always ended up without one. I am halfway through another attempt using the 25hz tapped horn design. I have one built and the other cut waiting on results. Based on the initial listen tests I have done, I like it very much. It does not quite keep up with the Belles if I push real hard, but that is not how I listen normally. I hope once the second is added, they will not loose a step (at reasonable levels) I am not sure this is the best option if you are looking HT but is testing out great for me as I am only using it for music. I intend to lay them on their side and use as a base for the Belles once finished to look nice. That way they will not take up any more valuable real estate and will elevate the mids and tweats closer to ear level which should be a good thing (as seen in the second photo.

attachicon.giftap2.jpgattachicon.giftap2.jpg

These are great little subs I built 2 myself and used them with my LaScala's, they wouldn't keep up once I turned the volume past 10 o clock but they sounded great at normal listening volumes. I currently have them with my Heresy's III's and couldn't be happier.

attachicon.giftap3.jpg

If I was to opt for a dedicated outboard amp such as the Dayton, for example, to drive my subs, would I use my Yamaha pre-out into either the high level in or line in of the sub amp?

Pre out to line in is how mine is hooked up and works as it should.

attachicon.giftap2.jpgattachicon.giftap2.jpg

These are great little subs I built 2 myself and used them with my LaScala's, they wouldn't keep up once I turned the volume past 10 o clock but they sounded great at normal listening volumes. I currently have them with my Heresy's III's and couldn't be happier.

I normally don't listen at that high a level (loud but not overkill). Any addition to the low end cant be a bad thing. If I crank too far, I can dial back the sub amp to not bottom out. I will add the second one in the next week or so and see how well they do when they aren't out numbered. I do also have a pair of Heresy's that will partner up with these if this experiment doesn't work out. I just don't have room for anything bigger in this room. I think basically, I just wanted to build these for the fun of it. I had never built a folded horn sub before.

Edited by MookieStl

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, powered subs.

I've been looking at several threads here, trying to decide which directions to go (i.e., ported, sealed, THT, DIY, etc.) and hadn't even thought about that.

Glad you're liking those Scalas!

For a sub, do you want to build from scratch, assemble a kit, or buy finished?