Klipsch Jubilee newbie seeking help please ....

joeinid

Hello Everyone,

I've owned and love Klipsch speakers. I've kept seeing over the years references to Klipsch Jubilee speakers but I'd get in over my head, get confused and move on. Well, I've got the bug again and am still VERY intrigued in hearing/owning another legendary speaker of very high efficiency.

So I ask for help in understanding my options and really want to decide if I can accomodate them or not.

Can I still buy them new?

Are there different models of the Jubilee?

Can I run them from a stereo or mono amps without having to bi/tri/quad amp them?

Is this model, KPT-JUBILEE/535-B, the only current shipping/available Jubilee?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think these could be an extremely fun speaker to own.

My search this time started by ogling a new pair of La Scala, which is still an option but if the Jubilee are better, that's what I want.

KPT-Jubilee_535_-_Angled_635278177349100

• Like 6

First, welcome to the forum!!

Can I still buy them new? Yes

Are there different models of the Jubilee?

Not really.  The picture you show is the cinema version which is three-way.  For residential use, some actually use that but believe me, it's over kill.  PWK wanted to take the Khorn back to a 2-way speaker and this was his last hurrah.  For home use, they lose the tweeter horn and also lose the midrange driver.  The tweeter driver is then moved to the midrange horn.  (got it?!!)  For residential use, they'll still blow you out so you don't have to be nervous about using a tweeter driver.  Some have opted to upgrade the driver for a TAD 4002 and some have opted for other HF drivers.

Roy (Delgado) at Klipsch has done all the engineering for the stock K69 driver as well as the TAD driver.  They are plug & play.

Can I run them from a stereo or mono amps without having to bi/tri/quad amp them?

They will come without any crossover so you can have someone (DeanG, Bob Crites, someone else) build a passive (Roy has provided the schematic) or you can go active.  With the passive you can use a standard amp.  With active you'd have to biamp them.

Is this model, KPT-JUBILEE/535-B, the only current shipping/available Jubilee?  I don't know the specific model numbers but I doubt that would be the 'actual' part number you order.  By the way, if you live outside of Arkansas, it's possible that the shipping would be included net in the price (was for most if not everyone up to now that I know of)

Sorry for all the questions, but I think these could be an extremely fun speaker to own.

Indeed, they are.

My search this time started by ogling a new pair of La Scala, which is still an option but if the Jubilee are better, that's what I want.

I've owned a pair of LaScalas for 36 years.  The stock Jubilee simply crushes the stock LaScala.  It's not really a fair fight as the Jubilee uses that huge horn on top which is going to dramatically lower distortion.  Bigger bass horn too.  

Now, if you want to 'cheap out', do a search on "JubeScala"  A LaScala bass bin with the huge K402 Jubilee horn on top.  Sounds killer and is the closest in my opinion you can get to the Jubilee without the cost.  You will however, lose some bottom end.  Add a horn subwoofer to it and it would be a tough fight.  

Edited by Coytee

Here's a picture of a home version along with a "JubeScala"

In the beginning, you could order a Jubilee in any finish as long as it was black.

Now, you can get them in Walnut, Cherry and perhaps another OR black.  They are much nicer looking today in my opinion.

You would call American Cinema with credit card in hand....or Panacea Engineering (who's been missing lately, wonder if he's ok)  Give card number.....wait 2-6 weeks and a truck pulls up to your door and says who's going to lift these massive boxes out for him?

Then the fun begins!

post-12967-0-58620000-1449270431_thumb.j

post-12967-0-10140000-1449270461_thumb.j

• Like 3

Now, if you want to 'cheap out', do a search on "JubeScala" A LaScala bass bin with the huge K402 Jubilee horn on top. Sounds killer and is the closest in my opinion you can get to the Jubilee without the cost. You will however, lose some bottom end. Add a horn subwoofer to it and it would be a tough fight.

No question.  As the various improvements of the Jub aren't compelling enough for me I don't feel the need.  But with my K'horns I can tell you that a horn loaded sub well matched make for all I need or will ever need in loudspeakers unless, as PWK said, somebody invents shorter bass wave lengths.

Dave

Coytee,

Thank you so much.

As far as purchasing a pair, I've sent a note to Panacea Engineering via their website a day ago and am waiting for a reply. I will contact American Cinema (http://www.cinequip.com/about.htm) if this is them and find out more.

I don't want to cheap out but if you say the 2 way version is better and "blows away" the La Scala, I am interested.

WC (at Panacea) about a year or so ago had some health issues.  I've not seen him around much but I think he's better.  It was difficult for some to reach him during that time and I don't know how much that might have improved.

If you order something through ACI, make 100% sure they know you want the 2-way version.  Seems some early adopters received the Jubilee bass bin along with the midrange driver on the midrange horn.

Ralph (in London England) specifically complained (to use too strong of word) to Roy that his speakers had no "tinkle".  While I was there visiting with him, I noticed they were different and took some pictures without turning the speakers around.  Showed the pictures to Roy who recognized the different driver and sent out the correct one.

So make sure they know you want the 2-way version with the K69 driver on top, I think it has its own SKU number now to help prevent a mistake happening again.

Where are you located Mr. 2 Posts?  There might be a Jubilee owner near you.  I can't think of one that has said they'd not welcome a visitor to share.  If you are anywhere near me, you're welcome to hear mine.

Ha!

Not sure I'd like that spot. :D

One thing I need to add it that I do NOT have proper corners to place the speakers. so, I'd need speakers that don't need the corners for bass reinforcement.

Edited by joeinid

These have the enclosed back but would gain some of their most performance if they are (from what I recall being told) "within 10 inches of the corner"

With the enclosed back you can still have them out on the wall (notice the picture).  Those are near Richmond, Virginia if you ever get that way.

• Moderators

I love this photo :D

DSC00493.jpg

Yes, I do too. 

Good explanation of all of this Coytee !  :emotion-21:

Looking at that picture I wouldn't worry if that LaScala is really connected,  :lol:

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
I don't want to cheap out but if you say the 2 way version is better and "blows away" the La Scala, I am interested.

To me the 2 way version is better and the LaScala does not stand a chance, and I really like the LaScala.

Switched back to LaScala's to compare one day, it was left that way until the next day, I knew immediately why I liked the 402 horn.

Without holding anyone to it, approximately how much can I expect to pay for a pair of the 2 way Jubilees setup properly?

So the horn is the K402? Any idea what the bass bin is and its size/weight?

Edited by joeinid

Something else to add...  the size of the K402 horn.  Notice it's about the same size as a LaScala on it's side (in absolute terms, it's actually bigger)

:o

Well thanks for posting that. It really puts things in perspective. I knew they were big, but HOLY COW. 

Edited by jwgorman
  • Like 1