r/c cars?

Paducah Home Theater

Anybody into these things?

OMGosh!!!  wish I would not have seen your post, "MLO".  Really got me thinking back to all the fun I had running a nitro RC. 

Now look what you have done -LOL-  I found a monster near me :D

https://springfield.craigslist.org/for/5322312293.html

...this thing has fun written all over it

Not to mention there is an RC track just a few miles away.  Geeze, I really need to start staying away from the computer...

• Like 3

Its a different experience but RC rock crawlers are actually a lot of fun. My buddy had one and its a blast to see what kind of obstacles you can take it over. Its a slower pace but you wont break stuff as often  and is actually more rewarding than just zipping a truck around your neighborhood:

I used to be into actual rock crawlers, traveled around and went to competitions. Had a cj7 on 38's, full width axles, Chevy drive train, extended wheel base. Had to quit because thr carnage was too much work and money. Always wanted an rc crawler ever since, a top of the line one would be cheaper than some of the repair bills I've had.

Traxxas changed the market with their rtr, when I played(still dabble with the boy) I ran a Futuba FXT until I constantly had problems with the gear box.  They did everything right with that truck other than the gear box.  I then switched to Team Losi XX, it was great car except some of the pieces were fragile.  I didn't learn this until about a year ago when I broke the front bulk head, it ended up costing me $50.00 to replace it.  Those two are now shelf queens, we have an older version of  Traxxas Rustler from when they first came out.  Parts seem to be common, which makes them easy to get.  Everything is going brush-less with Lipo batteries, longer run times and faster cars some reaching 60 mph.  Those are usually mid engine mount that are all wheel drive.  The nice thing about electric vs nitro, is not having to mess with the fuel/air mixture with temperature changes, or having to let them cool for long periods of time.  I have had buddies that started with electric with same purpose of the op, then decided to switch to nitro.  Found out it was to much to mess with and switched back to electric.  Some have had good luck with nitro and they are fun, but seem to be tweaking them more, which if any kid is like my nine year old, they don't have the patients.   I say you can't go wrong with Traxxas, Team Losi, or Team Associated.

This is the truck I was looking at for my son, as an upgrade.

http://www.amazon.com/Team-Associate-RC10T4-2-Truck-Colors/dp/B00DOSQ3O2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449372519&sr=8-1&keywords=team+associated+rc10t4.2

A little lower in price

http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-37054-1-Rustler-Ready---Race/dp/B00OK3AC9M/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1449372560&sr=1-2&keywords=traxxas+rustler

One more

http://www.amazon.com/22T-2-0-Race-Kit-Stadium/dp/B00TSR3ADU/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1449372652&sr=1-2-fkmr2&keywords=Team+losi+truck+ready+to+race

• Like 1

It seems that the consensus online is that the 2wd Stampede is great for younger kids, apparently real sturdy build that's hard to tear up and easy to use, doesn't hang up easily, doesn't go super fast, etc. My wife wants to get two matching one of those. They have a pink edition that I guess will be my daughter's. Could still be talked into a different one for my son I guess but two identical ones might prevent some fights.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

It seems that the consensus online is that the 2wd Stampede is great for younger kids, apparently real sturdy build that's hard to tear up and easy to use, doesn't hang up easily, doesn't go super fast, etc. My wife wants to get two matching one of those. They have a pink edition that I guess will be my daughter's. Could still be talked into a different one for my son I guess but two identical ones might prevent some fights.

I don't think you can go wrong with Traxxas, plus some of the newer components are water prof.  Plus you can easily get parts and upgrade.

• Like 1

Metro I went through the same process. I got hooked on these things when I was 12 my dad bought me a Cox Eliminator 2 dragster it was awesome as long as you had plenty of kite string!!!! My research led me to buying a 2wd stampede for my son (He was 8 at the time) and the souped up VXL stampede for me.

Make sure you buy the body clips and front bumper and also a  spare battery you want to get an 1hr of run time. Anyway the 2wd Stampede is a excellent choice for your son I went the same route and we have enjoyed many hours of playing with our trucks and making priceless memories just like me and my dad did.

On a side note I have had the trucks for 7 years and not one problem as a matter of fact the original batteries recently died to the point of not holding a charge, reliability is great with these things. Have fun he will only be this age once!!

• Like 2

Metro I went through the same process. I got hooked on these things when I was 12 my dad bought me a Cox Eliminator 2 dragster it was awesome as long as you had plenty of kite string!!!! My research led me to buying a 2wd stampede for my son (He was 8 at the time) and the souped up VXL stampede for me.

Make sure you buy the body clips and front bumper and also a  spare battery you want to get an 1hr of run time. Anyway the 2wd Stampede is a excellent choice for your son I went the same route and we have enjoyed many hours of playing with our trucks and making priceless memories just like me and my dad did.

On a side note I have had the trucks for 7 years and not one problem as a matter of fact the original batteries recently died to the point of not holding a charge, reliability is great with these things. Have fun he will only be this age once!!

I have two 2nd stampedes ordered as to be equal to the kids, and when I recover from that I'll probably order a Summit crawler for myself maybe this summer. My wife is more excited about it than I am it seems. There was a deal on Monday when I ordered that if you get two you get the Traxxas drag race system with the Christmas tree and laser timers for free, so I have that coming as well, it's usually $210 by itself.

• Like 3

Thanks for this post.... I literally spent like 6 hours reseaching what the best ones are now a days... almost bought one but decided instead of impulse buying like i usually do and then regretting my actions the next day I decided to sleep on it. I still haven't bought one. probably best to wait till after christmas then the prices should drop like a rock. ;) I was gonna go with the Traxxas Slash VXL

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/slash-vxl-tsm

Edited by cradeldorf

Try looking at  Tower Hobbies online. They use to be the go to place I remember getting their catalog it was about 2 inches thick back then. Not so much now but still good company to deal with. I still prefer slot cars myself.Rick

Edited by ricktate
  • Like 1

I bought 2 of the stampedes for my son when he was 5, he was a little young, the one you want  isn't the brushless one, to start, the smaller stampede turns better and is more easily controlled and is more fun. With the brushless one, it can get hairy quickly, unless you are in a big space....

I bought 2 of the stampedes for my son when he was 5, he was a little young, the one you want  isn't the brushless one, to start, the smaller stampede turns better and is more easily controlled and is more fun. With the brushless one, it can get hairy quickly, unless you are in a big space....

They actually have an upgrade program where you can trade in your old motor and get a brushless one. It's basically $160 up front to get brushless but if you trade in one it's $140. Not a real good incentive to go brushless right off the bat. Only thing I'd be interested in is longer battery life, apparently they are more efficient. Otherwise, fast is actually bad right now with a 7 year old first starting out, no reason for it.

• Like 2