Klipsch woofer mods?

ninjai18

I have the RF-3 II system, and I am curious as to what else I could do to mod my woofers and tweeters to make them sound as good as possible? I have added damping with Dynamat to all drivers, braced the cabinets better, and completely rebuilt my crossovers with much better parts (all upgrades I've done have yielded MUCH better sound). I also put light foam on the speaker internal walls. Moray James gave me some great tips, and said I should also add 1/8" felt over the spider on the drivers, which I do intend to do, as well. 

Just curious about any other improvements you all know about that don't include changing out drivers or buying whole new speakers. :P So, show or tell what mods you know about! :D

Edited by ninjai18

The only thing left would be upgraded wiring inside speaker. I think you did it all. Rick

Did that, too. Put some nice 14 Gauge wire in there. :) These speakers now sound like they're worth thousands more than I paid; I have heard RF-7 IIs and B&W 800 series towers. I'll just say this, my upgraded/modded RF-3 II system compares favorably. :)

Edited by ninjai18

One mod you might like to try is placing some foam around the mouth of the horn just on its outer edge.  I ended up using 10mm open cell sealing strip. The foam seems to level out the response above 5kHz. I found the effect on the level is measurable. 

In my opinion the effect on the sound is not massive but it does make it a little clearer and more  focused.

There is an interesting article about this by Jeff Poth  called  Foaming at the mouth

You might want to try some foam on your horns (its cheap) and see if you can hear a difference.

Robert

One mod you might like to try is placing some foam around the mouth of the horn just on its outer edge.  I ended up using 10mm open cell sealing strip. The foam seems to level out the response above 5kHz. I found the effect on the level is measurable. 

In my opinion the effect on the sound is not massive but it does make it a little clearer and more  focused.

There is an interesting article about this by Jeff Poth  called  Foaming at the mouth

You might want to try some foam on your horns (its cheap) and see if you can hear a difference.

Robert

It looks like he's putting in inside the horn, are my eyes playing tricks on me? :P

I tried inside the horn (see photo of a Peavey horn) but I didn't like what it did to the sound. I ended up with a strip around the edge of the horn on the outside sounding the best to me - but the effect was not dramatic.

Robert

post-54453-0-06900000-1449490660_thumb.j

Edited by robotc
  • Like 1

I tried inside the horn (see photo of a Peavey horn) but I didn't like what it did to the sound. I ended up with a strip around the edge of the horn on the outside sounding the best to me - but the effect was not dramatic.

Robert

Ah, I see, very cool. :) How thick is that foam? And I assume it's open cell foam?

Yes  it is open cell foam.The Peavey horn looks like the horn is molded so the foam sits flush with the inside surface and wraps around the mouth edge. I tried felt inside the RF3 horn because i figured thick foam inside would change the horn dimension  but to me it didn't sound right. A foam strip around the mouth did improve the sound.

Robert