New Home Theater Receiver

Loudogp250

I am looking for some input on my next HT receiver purchase. My Integra DTR 6.8 HDMI board just bit the dust. Since the phono stage on the Integra was not pleasing to my ears I used my Pioneer SA 8100 as an amplifier to power my Forte’s and used the Integra as a Pre / Pro. I would like the replace the Integra with either a modern receiver that is musical first and home theater second or separates and move the pioneer to another room. I have been looking at the Cambridge Azur series (has anyone listened to one?). Any suggestions based on personal experience will be greatly appreciated? My max budget is $1500.

Personally I would direct you this way. One heck of a receiver with 125 real watts @8ohm for the front three channels and 75 real watts for the other four channels. Believe me, you don't need much to make speakers sing with one of this 70+ pound monster. $3000 retail price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sherbourn-SR120-7-Channel-175-Watt-per-channel-Receiver-/131664955551?hash=item1ea7d7c89f:g:kyAAAOSw9N1VpcRr

I own four of these receivers and they sound amazing whether listening to music or in a surround movie setting. These came with either five or ten year warranties so there should be plenty of transferable warranty left here. I have no affiliation to the seller so details would need to be discussed between the two of you, however he has come down $500 in asking price over the last few months on Ebay.

Tim

Edited by teaman
  • Like 1

You did not list a budget but, you can't go wrong with a Pioneer Elite AVR, SC 85 or 91.  If used is better price wise, and SC 68.  These all have class D/D3 amp and deliver real power to all the channels at around 40 lbs.  I use my SC 35/Acurus amp combo 90% for music.

• Like 1

Another +1 for class d goodness of the pioneer elites. If blackness is important to you, you wont find better in tyat price range. Additionally if you need dac duty, the pioneers use the superb ess 9018 dac chipset.

• Like 1

I like teaman'suggestion but, the company is out of business and I have had to get a couple of used avr/amps fixed and it is not cheap and you don't know the quality of the craftmanship.  There are always trade-off between new/nearly new and old gear.

Amps don't change much over the years but, avr's have a 5 yr life span due to formats and connectivity advances.  I think that is all I am saying if you are going to spend up to $1,500.

Edited by derrickdj1

I like teaman'suggestion but, the company is out of business and I have had to get a couple of used avr/amps fixed and it is not cheap and you don't know the quality of the craftmanship.  There are always trade-off between new/nearly new and old gear.

Amps don't change much over the years but, avr's have a 5 yr life span due to formats and connectivity advances.  I think that is all I am saying if you are going to spend up to $1,500.

Sherbourn is owned by Emotiva's parent company Jade Design Derrick. Emotiva will honor the Sherbourn warranties for the five or ten years depending on when they were purchased.If you purchased before the two lines merged there was a ten year warranty. If you purchased when Emotiva did away with the Sherbourn line it went to five years, as Emotiva offers on their products as well. The Sherbourn offers a ton of bang for the buck now as it offers pretty much everything relevant outside of Atmos/DTS X.

I would say if the OP is indeed looking to spend upwards of $1500 though he could definitely get a nice combo of amp and processor and I would take that route over a receiver.

Dennon x4200w - 125 wpc, 7.2 atmos, wifi, bluetooth, Apple Air Play, Audyssey platinum suite, and 2.2 hdcp compliant.

Crutchfield has it for $1499.99

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0BK67k2zQBx/p_033AVX4200/Denon-AVR-X4200W-IN-Command.html

They can be had on Ebay, or Accessories for Less when available for about $1000.

My Integra DTR 6.8 HDMI board just bit the dust.

Onk has stepped up to the plate on those HDMI board failures and has extended the warranty until 2018.

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warranties until 2018

Onkyo USA Support Information

08/19/2014 Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.

We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.

To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:  (snip)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1652514-onkyo-acknowledges-failed-units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

You did not list a budget but, you can't go wrong with a Pioneer Elite AVR, SC 85 or 91.  If used is better price wise, and SC 68.  These all have class D/D3 amp and deliver real power to all the channels at around 40 lbs.  I use my SC 35/Acurus amp combo 90% for music.

Another +1 for class d goodness of the pioneer elites. If blackness is important to you, you wont find better in tyat price range. Additionally if you need dac duty, the pioneers use the superb ess 9018 dac chipset.

I looked up the receivers you listed. They look great for HT. My only concern is will I need to buy a separate 2 ch musical amp for the Fortes. What do you think?

How about an anthem? I know they got about the best dsp in the biz

If Anthem is on your list, here is a nice deal from the Emotiva forum:

I have heard great things about Emotiva and Anthem. How are they with music? Vinyl first then everything else? I have been looking at Cambridge Audio which seem to get favorable reviews. Most reviews praise how they sound with music. Accessories4less has a few. Anyone have experience with Cambridge?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/camb650rslva/cambridge-audio-azur-650r-7.1-hdmi-3d-a/v-receiver-silver/1.html

I have no experience with them at all. Or anthem really lol. I just know anthems arc is supposed to be as good as it gets. Now does that equate to musical? Probably not. Maybe. Who knows. How about finding a descent Avr with preouts for home theater and then grab you a nice stereo preamp like the emotiva usp-1 with home theater bypass mode. Then you get the very best of both worlds. I have owned that piece before and it was probably the best music has sounded on any of my gear.

I have no experience with them at all. Or anthem really lol. I just know anthems arc is supposed to be as good as it gets. Now does that equate to musical? Probably not. Maybe. Who knows. How about finding a descent Avr with preouts for home theater and then grab you a nice stereo preamp like the emotiva usp-1 with home theater bypass mode. Then you get the very best of both worlds. I have owned that piece before and it was probably the best music has sounded on any of my gear.

Thanks Scrappydue. Whatever I purchase I will share with the forum.

Anyone have experience with Cambridge?

Very pleased with CA.  I currently have two pieces, 840C CD player/DAC and 640A v2 integrated amp, and they sound wonderful.  I have often looked at the CA 751R and Anthem MRX 710 and 510 as replacement AVRs if my NAD pre/pro ever croaks, which I hope not because it is so darn musical.

Bill