Steam Power "The real Polar Express"

DizRotus

While in a client's home today the kids were watching The Polar Express.  That prompted me to search for the real polar express.

As described in one or more of the videos linked, Pere Marquette 1225 was the sound and model for the locomotive in The Polar Express.  PM 1225 sat idle on the campus of Michigan State, near the tennis courts and south of the stadium, during my undergrad years.  There was a movement to restore it to operation. I never believed they would succeed.  Fortunately, I was wrong.

Pere Marquette 1225: The Real Polar Express: 

Pere Marquette 1225 in snow: 

1991 Huntington NRHS Convention: 

Show your kids and grandkids the real Polar Express

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

My grandfather on my dad's side used to work for the Illinoia Central Railroad. Sometime in the middle 1950s my grandmother took my brother and me on a day trip from Villa Grove, Ill where they lived, up to Champaign-Urbana to go shopping. It was only about 15 miles, but what an experience to ride on the train. I think they had already switched over to diesel, but is was still fun for a six and nine year old.

Years passed and the next (and last) time on a trail was visiting my wife while she worked in China. The Chinese train system is pretty efficient and on time. After going from Hong Kong across the border to the mainland, we would board a train in Shenzhen. Sleep cars... and a 12 hour ride through the night to Jiangxi. The city was waking up and going to work as we arrived and took a cab across town to the university where my wife taught.

Thanks for posting. We have steam train excursions here in Chattanooga in the Fall, too.

Bruce

• Like 1

The following was plucked from Wikipedia"

"The children's book was written and illustrated by Chris Van Allsburg, who grew up in Grand RapidsMichigan, and as a child attended every home football game at Michigan State, next to which this engine was on static display. He recalls playing on this engine many times as a child saying, "I remember that train on campus,...I can't believe it's the same train! I climbed on that train. I actually stood on it."[3] Appropriately enough, the locomotive's road number is the date of Christmas, 12/25."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pere_Marquette_1225

What's up with men and steam?  Women are OK with it, but it's sort of like the 3 Stooges and guns...largely a man thing.  Being near a locomotive with steam up is incredible.  Amongst others, I've had multiple exposures to the UPs "Challenger."  That thing is overwhelming.   It's alive. 

I found that book in the bookstore of the Episcopal Camp Allen in Texas about 15 years ago.  I'd never heard of it and was looking for something for my kids.  I was immediately hooked.  Then the movie came along.  Took the kids to an IMAX showing in Dallas.  It was the first 3D movie I'd seen since the 50s and by far the most expensive movie I ever went to...and it was priceless.  The kids stood up and attempted to grab some of the 3D objects being projected.  It was that good. 

My son watched the DVD probably a hundred times over several years once we got it. 

The Polar Express is very special and will join "A Christmas Carol," "It's a Wonderful Life," and the other non-theological icons as permanent holiday requirements for as long as Christmas is celebrated. 

Dave