Best $500 Integrated amp to drive RP-280's.

JTG

I need your suggestions. I can go $100 + or -. It must have a sub out. I listen at moderate levels  Thanks.

I would seriously explore any of the Yamaha A-S options. I have one of the step up models A-S1000 and it sounds wonderful with my RB-75's.

Look at the A-S501, A-S701, and A-S801. All have built in DACs and subwoofer preout and can be found factory refurbished at www.accessories4less.com.

Bill

Edited by willland

Bill, Would you buy the Cambridge or the Yamaha 501? 

Well, I own a CA 640A v2 which is the two generations older 651A and it sounds wonderful with my RB-75's, Heresy I's, Heresy II's, and my sold RB-35's.  I have never used it to drive my RF-63's.  I also love my Yamaha integrated.  I think that the 501 and 651 may be a toss up but if the 701 is an option, I(me, IMO, etc.) would go for that.

The only problem is that all of my other components are black.

I understand the matching thing.  Keep it all black then.

Bill

Edited by willland

I just ordered the Yamaha 501...Thanks for your help.

Let me know how that works out.  I am so impressed with my A-S1000 that I have considered getting either the 501, 701, or 801 for a secondary rig.  I did read that the subwoofer preout out has a 100Hz low pass filter so you would be better off using your low pass filter adjustments on your subwoofer.

http://www.audioappraisal.com/yamaha-s501-review/

Bill

Would you put the impedance selector on the 501 at 4 or 8 driving the RF 280's.? 

Using the low impedance setting will cause current limiting nonsense to intervene in your music at lower power levels, where the high or 8 ohm setting will allow the amp to deliver everything it's capable of.  It will also generate all the heat it's able to on the high setting, so there's that.  If it were me, I would use the 8 ohm setting.

I like the lower level Yamaha's for that variable loudness control.  Very useful feature, IMO.  Nice choice, JTG.    

Edited by Ski Bum

I need your suggestions. I can go $100 + or -. It must have a sub out. I listen at moderate levels  Thanks.

I would seriously explore any of the Yamaha A-S options. I have one of the step up models A-S1000 and it sounds wonderful with my RB-75's.

Look at the A-S501, A-S701, and A-S801. All have built in DACs and subwoofer preout and can be found factory refurbished at www.accessories4less.com.

Bill

I own the RP280-F's and they are being powered by a Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp.  Plenty of power, great sound, and I couldn't be happier with this combination.  No subwoofer needed for 2 channel in my humble opinion  I think the A-S501 is now the current model and wouldn't hesitate to go for it.

Bill,   Would you put the impedance selector on the 501 at 4 or 8 driving the RF 280's.? 

Using the low impedance setting will cause current limiting nonsense to intervene in your music at lower power levels, where the high or 8 ohm setting will allow the amp to deliver everything it's capable of.  It will also generate all the heat it's able to on the high setting, so there's that.  If it were me, I would use the 8 ohm setting.

What he said. ;) 

I own the RP280-F's and they are being powered by a Yamaha A-S500 integrated amp.  Plenty of power, great sound, and I couldn't be happier with this combination.  No subwoofer needed for 2 channel in my humble opinion  I think the A-S501 is now the current model and wouldn't hesitate to go for it.

Another positive endorsement for the Yamaha. :emotion-21:  

Bill

Definitely go for one of the old flagship models from either Denon or Onkyo that came out a few years before the Atmos craze. They are FAR superior to the tiny "feature packed" light weight receivers they are making these days. New flagship models are a joke.

Edited by ninjai18

Definitely go for one of the old flagship models from either Denon or Onkyo that came out a few years before the Atmos craze. They are FAR superior to the tiny "feature packed" light weight receivers they are making these days. New flagship models are a joke.

I think JTG is inquiring about an integrated amplifier not an HT AVR. I am pretty sure he is building a stereo rig.

Bill