Dumber and Dumber Music

Jim Naseum

<music, geek rant>

On the backside of that, an entire industry could be made out of offering consulting services to musicians on fine art of "closing" a song. For example, the fade-out (made popular in the late 70's) was never acceptable in my book....same with droning on for 2-3 minutes extra.

IMO, most music isn't cool enough for that....even classical.

</rant>

While I generally agree, there are exceptions.  The ending of Clapton's original Layla and Eagles Hotel California are important parts of the songs.  So, I disagree that it's "never" acceptable...but, it is far too overused. 

I can remember receiving the "adolescent eye-roll" as I term it when my then teenage daughter's music would frequently, if not invariably, devolve into repetitious "baby, baby" when the real attempt was to obscure the paucity of any more lyrics.  Then, of course, in inevitable groaning and moaning, as if that added any substance or art.  Just mindlessness and trash.

I would get the "eye-roll" when I referred to the singer's being in need of something for such obvious stomach cramps and abdominal discomfort.  A generous dose of laxative, perhaps . . . ?

Edited by JiminSTL

• 2 months later...
If they can't end a phrase exactly on the beat, then it's time to dig into the creative hat and pull out a new lyric or change the beat. But I find it really tasteless to simply repeat the same word into oblivion. What the hell is a studio good for?
Case in point:

(WARNING, listening to even a few seconds of the following audio clip could cause a brief, yet intense, negative introspective moment for having been suckered into clicking play)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL1UzIK-flA

A little off path but why is there the need to change words in well known songs. Specifically, thy, thou, or thee to either you or your. Does no one know what the original words mean? It's a pet peeve of mine...just bugs me that we're now to dumb to know the originals? End rant...back to regular programming.

I hope moderns can understand thy, thou, or thee because of the context.