ode to WMcD

grindstone

Maybe this has already been-done (in which case, I apologize and ask the mods to delete this thread).

If not, I just have to sound-off about the contributions of WMcD. Over and over and over again, those posts are invaluable. I just can't say enough.

On a board with amazing contributions (in the thousands of posts) from all-kinds-of-people, well--you guys know who you are. And you know how cool it is that you all have shared sooo much knowledge for so long.

Today, it's about Gil because I've been so moved by his contributions.

Bravo!

• Like 5

No need for the moderators to remove the thread. No, no, no. Smile.

A very deep and humble thank you.  I blush.

And thanks to all of us here who provide so much information.  What a great collection of people. Even Thebes.

WMcD

post-453-0-69240000-1450489572_thumb.jpg

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 3

The honor was mine Dave.  I was a bit curt and rushed because my sister was very ill and I wanted to get back to her house in Dallas.  With this pressure I wasn't quite myself. Please accept my apologies. Dave and his family were great hosts.

Dave lived in Flower Mound at the time.  I drove by there at Thanksgiving this year and thought of him and his family, which I should have posted.

As I recall from back then we did a little work on some VU meters he had.  IIRC he was, and continues to be, interested in using them directly connected to an amp's output to monitor drive levels to the speaker.  Sort of like the blue meters on McIntosh equipment.  However, measurements showed these are basically a.c. volt meters designed (I think) to attach to telephone audio feed lines and not really sensitive enough to kick up at the low levels of voltage which will cause the K-Horns to  sing.

Dave had a large listening room, big classic windows out to the back yard with decorator K-Horns.  I don't recall the problem we were troubleshooting.  But at one point we had left the amp in mono and it took a while for us to realize that the mono setting was the cause of lack of sound stage.  Dave quipped, "So much for Golden Ears" referring (I hope) to both of us.

Dave also, then, had a radio receiver which probably was a regenerative type from the 1930s, before super-heterodyne was invented. 

Naturally, it is always good to have eyeball and earful meetings.  Hope we can do it again. 

WMcD

• Like 1

Even Thebes.

Thought you'd slip than one past me did you?

Gil's first rate in my book, and has been a steadfast presence on this Forum as long as I've been here.

He even knows what he's talking about. Dern it!

• Like 1