Basketball; Curry Madness

DizRotus

Quite the game so far.

It's still early.  I expect MSU to take control and cruise to the win and a national #1 seed.

+++

Edit:  Sparty hangs on at the end to win by 4.  I never tire of being wrong.

Edit Edit:  And of course they got a #2 seed.  I'm also consistent, not in the good way.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

How can MSU be nationally ranked #2 in the country, win the BIG10 title today, and not be a #1 seed in a bracket? That makes no sense. This could be a motivator for them, I'd hate to be their 1st opponent. They should've been a #1 seed before today's win.

• Like 2

How can MSU be nationally ranked #2 in the country, win the BIG10 title today, and not be a #1 seed in a bracket?

Absolutely agree.

And...

How can West Virginia second in conference, have the same record as Oklahoma, third in conference, beat Oklahoma on a neutral site yesterday, and Sooners get a #2 seed with Mountaineers getting a #3 seed?

For both Michigan State and WVU, why bother playing the games if they count for nothing?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Oh boy, kiss of death.

Dick Vitale says Spartans win it all!

Day before yesterday Kentucky beats Texas A&M in the SEC title game. Yesterday A&M is a 3 seed and Kentucky is a 4. Somebody explain how that works.

Edited by JL Sargent

Day before yesterday Kentucky beats Texas A&M in the SEC title game. Yesterday A&M is a 3 seed and Kentucky is a 4. Somebody explain how that works.

Explaining the NCAA seeding is completely over my head, however I have done many racquetball tournaments where players are seeded.  You don't just rate players 1st, 2nd 3rd best etc and let them go where the numbers place them.  In the case of our little state, you might have the two players from the same club meet each other in the first round.  Despite the seedings, you place them in opposite brackets so if they meet it will only be in the finals.

Likewise you don't put someone from out of town who has a two hour drive in the Saturday at 8:00 am game.  You give him the noon game and have the locals play the early time slots.

Turn the page.

My WVU Mountaineers probably earned a #2 seed but they were actually put in as a #3 seed.  Did they get a bad deal?  Maybe not.

They are the #3 seed in the east, so they don't have to travel and be away from their fan base.  It's a better deal to be a #3 seed in the east and stay home than a #2 seed in the west and have to travel.

Being a 2/3 seed is the least important seed if you're not #1 because 2 plays 3 in the semis.  If you get a 4 seed, you have to play #1 and even though you will play the best teams eventually, you don't want to have to fight a couple of #1 seeds and a #2 to win it all.  That's tough.

I also see a LOT that the committee split up good teams from the same conference.  Three conferences this year had 7 teams go dancing, so obviously that is not possible.  But there are some good and interesting matchups OUTSIDE the value of the seedings that will have some TV value.

In the 2nd round (remember there is a pigtail for 8 teams in the prelim round, or four play-in games to get to the 64 team field).  WVU plays Stephen F. Austin 3 vs 14 in the 2nd round in a game that absolutely nobody cares about and has no national TV value. 

OTOH if seedings hold in the 3rd round you've got seeds #5 and #4 playing, Kentucky vs Indiana!  That will be a well watched game with lots of fans and will hold the national interest.

+++

I don't know if the committee does it that way, but with all the HUGE money the NCAA makes off this thing, I wouldn't blame them if they did.  Follow the money!

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

Anybody playing ESPNs Tourney bracket challenge? I've done it several times but might skip it this year.

Not me.  I have a proven track record of incorrect picks.

There is a challenge from somebody for a million dollars or something if you can pick all 64 games correctly.  I forget the odds, but it's in the billions to 1 against.

I think you have a better chance of winning the Powerball lotto two weeks in a row than of correctly picking each game correctly before the tourney starts.

My final four: Kansas, Oklahoma, Michigan State, WVU

I like the way you think!  :)

And the funny part is you might be right.  All four of those teams are capable to reaching the Final Four.  They are also capable of losing.

Everyone seems to have Kansas winning and there's good reason for that.  I saw them play WVU three times this year and beat the Mountaineers 2 out of 3.  But Kansas is strong everywhere, good defense, strong offense, two great offensive players, plenty of height, well coached, and experienced in the Big Dance.  They just don't have any weaknesses.

I also see Michigan State being in the finals, but they are capable of being beat.  They came close to losing the Big 10 championship game.  They have speed, maybe the player of the year in Valentine, great 3-point shooting, and of course great coaching and tournament experience.

• Like 3

My final four:  Kansas, Oklahoma, Michigan State, WVU

Championship Game:  Kansas -vs- Michigan State

Champion:  Kansas

I have the same Final Four, but MSU defeats Kansas for the second time this season. They're both better teams than they were at the beginning of the season, but I think Sparty is more betterer.

I want to see dad do that without a mini-tramp!

Sheeeeeeat, you won't see dad do that WITH a mini-tramp!  Took me 6 months to get over a case of Plantar-fasciitis from just walking on concrete. 

Edited by JL Sargent