Promedia 2.1 computer speakers and RFI

LousyTourist

I have Altec computer speakers currently, some el-cheapo model that I bought years ago. They experience RFI from my cell phone, from my Cisco wireless access point, and possibly from other sources, sending loud and annoying clicks and chatter through the speakers.

My hope is that if I purchase the above mentioned 2.1 speakers, they will have shielding on the cables sufficient to reduce or eliminate the noise.

Barring that, I seem to see from pictures of the speaker connections that the satellites connect via tinned speaker wires. If so, I might be able to loop a ferrite choke around the wires a couple times which may reduce the higher frequency content reaching the satellites.

Can anyone speak to this issue?

Most appreciated,

LT

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a set of Promedia 2.1 speakers on my main PC in a home office environment for over a dozen years and have never had a lick of trouble with RFI/EMI.  Of course, the very first tweak most PM2.1 users affect is to throw the supplied speaker wires away and fabricate their own custom set.  And that's just the tip of a very large tweaking iceberg.  Go here for more forum advice on maximizing the sound of a set of Promedia 2.1s.  Suffice it to say, I am not alone in my opinion that these are still the best affordable PC speakers on the market.  You can spend more but you don't need to.  You can spend less by why suffer?

Thanks, I pulled the trigger on these when then went on sale over Xmas. They should be delivered in a weeks' time.

I don't know if it's too late, but the original ProMedia 2.1 system is superior to what Klipsch is making now. Here's an original that's in nearly-mint condition for $149.95:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-ProMedia-2-1-Computer-Speakers-PC-Subwoofer-Speaker-Set-/371095485307?hash=item566703bb7b:g:mxwAAOSwajVUPaoW

I've heard that the originals have superior sound on the stock wires. Plus, you can replace the stock wires (which is highly recommended for the best sound possible from the satellites). You can't do that with the new ones that Klipsch is making today.

The only problem that I have with this eBay listing is, the shipping is $49.06 (that's what I'm seeing anyway). Maybe you can work out a deal with this seller because that makes the total price become nearly $200! It's still kinda worth it though, to be honest.

You can keep scouring eBay for originals by just finding ProMedia 2.1 systems that have the plug-in satellite speakers (where the speaker wires plug into the backs of the satellites). At the moment, this is the only one I'm finding on eBay, and fortunately it's in GREAT condition! As I understand it, the originals have a superior amplifier and subwoofer too.

Edit: I might have found a better deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-ProMedia-Computer-Speakers-/272052734391?hash=item3f579b49b7:g:f2UAAOSwv-NWUJ68

$105.95 shipped!

Judging from the 1st of the two photos, I'm not seeing any speaker wire behind the left satellite, which would indicate that these are the plug-in satellites which would indicate that this is an original ProMedia 2.1 system. Ask the seller first though.

Edited by TwoCables