For all of you who are upgrading or buying new hardware

fawwaz

I have noticed that many of you are either upgrading or (like me) planing to upgrade.

Moreover most of you plan on getting different parts from different online sites(good thing).

The problem is ,and I think most of us have it :What about the old systems>

ok for example I have a P3 @700Mhz and will upgrade to AMD 1200 for about 350$(board and stuff) but what shall I do with the old parts that cost me so much and are still of good worth biggrin.gif (respectively)

Since you are getting parts from different online shops ,you can't sell it to them(I think) and if you think of selling them to a local store he will either suggest you buy from him(probably dont have what I need) and will give such a lousy price that I prefer to stick up his$##$ than selling the hardware to him!!!

ALL of you who upgrade frequently What do you do with your earlier parts!!!!!!!!!s>

I just bought a whole system and sold my old one to a friend that was in need of one. I figured out a price according to pricewatch.com and cut a little off those prices even.

With me.. my PII300 system from Dell was not worth upgrading the parts.. would have ended up with a whole new system anyway. As for you.. talk to friends.. ti is always helpful to be at college..ppl are always looking for parts

Good luck.

Thanks for the advise Paragon.

My system is fine and I find it to be in very good shape ,but you see the problem I have is the same one you have when I will upgrade eventually I would have to get a whole new system since a P3 700 and a BX-II board @100Mhz bus cant be upgraded any more.

So I am holding on untill summer to see how the P4 is in comparison to the AMD especially since intel plans to release the 2000MHz this summer !

ummm, ever heard of ebay? or just set yourself up a nice little lan.

J

------------------

JOIN THE "AMY FOR PRESIDENT" CAMPAIGN. OUR PLATFORM:

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

PIII @ 1.08GHZ

SuperMicro PIIISCD I820 Mobo

192MB Crucial PC100

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata66

Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm ata100

Generic DVD 4X

Creative 8x4x32x Burner

GeForce256 32mb DDR (orig)

3Com 905B-TX Lan

Netgear RT314 Gateway/Router

Philips Acoustic Edge

425w Power Supply

Triple Boot Me/2K/Whistler Build 2416

Klipsch Pro-Media 4.1's

umm... a floppy.

thats it, for now

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

LOL fawwaz biggrin.gif

I got bx6 rev.2 mobo along with p3700. I plan on waiting a little bit to do the next upgrade.

New mobo's are coming out and faster system buses will be available soon + will need new ram, cpu, vid card most likely.

I hope my pc can tough at least another year.

BTW got a spare 500 celeron and voodoo3 3000 kikin around

Any takers??? lol

I think my pile will just get bigger and bigger.

lan??

I don't know about ebay I think I might givr it try ,although I think it needs a bit of work for the payment receving and selling conditions( I think they charge for being on their registration even without selling anything ,after a month).

Strangly I found v-2.400 for 30$ and the same v-2 for 200$ both guys say they are in perfect condition confused.gif

I even found satelites for as low as 9$ confused.gif

I don't know hate to waste all this time trying mad.gif

Fawwaz,

. When anyone wants to upgrade, I keep the old parts to make an old beater system.(<200mmx)

I don't sell these. You know those bad-*** kids that live in the neighborhood? You know, usually 10 to 14 years old.

Load a few games, a midi set-up, a word processor, then set one up for the little chumps. If you're lucky they'll watch your back.

LOLs> biggrin.gif that's the best thing I've heard all day.

But really you what, I used to do this and I hooked up the 2 computers I had in a serial mode for playing with my friends.The trouble is that The 700Mhz was way too fast for the 300Mhz and the 300Mhz wasn't powerfull enough to run shooter games (Elite force) or any new game!!

So I am concendering the e-bay option now ,I will see if it works for me(it's a see no Ocean of parts there!!!)

ebay is always an option, also look for computer shows that are in yer area. bring yer comp and stash is im yer trunk, walk around with a sign saying the price in bold with the speed right under it, you'd be suprised at how many people stop you. also if you don't get yer price you want then you can just keep it and host it as a mail server. when I finish upgrading mine my old 266 will become a MS exchange server while everyone in the building gets their E-mail through the lan, or as a server for broadband cable, dsl, t1, t3, or a good ole ocp96 (45 bundeled T3s). don't ever throw away god parts. or donate to a church or salvation army os somthing. computers that run can ALWAYS be used for somthing.

Torinalth

------------------

if at first you don't succede, try again. if at second you don't succede, get an axe

quote:

Originally posted by Torinalth:

computers that run can ALWAYS be used for somthing.

Yes, you can always use an old 486 or Pentium 133 for a linux router.

I have 2 486s, a P90 and a P133 sitting here right now. 1-2GB HDD in them most with NIC. Total cost = FREE, just because some people dont think they are worth anything.c>

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>