Help me ID what I have

Pilar

A good friend of our family gave me some old Klipsch subwoofers from the 1980s I think. I looked to see if I could find a model number but all I have is the serial number. I'm not sure if I have the room to keep them and might want to sell them. Help!

• Like 1

Those are not subwoofers... They are Klipsch Belles from the Heritage line. If someone gave them to you, then you're a rather lucky person.

They are full range loudspeakers... fully horn loaded. There is a 15" driver in the bottom (within the V) and a horn loaded midrange and tweeter in the top.

Unfortunately the Klipsch website is being "updated" and the prior links to the discontinued models and their specifications, including the Belle, are not currently available. Here is the only link I can find for them right now...

http://www.klipsch.com/products/belle-klipsch-floorstanding-speaker

I'd recommend holding on to them if at all possible.

• Like 4

Wow! Thank you so much for the information! I'm so glad I found this site. I think I just might do as you have advised.

Just to add... The Belles have been discontinued and are no longer made. So they are relatively rare and harder to find.

If you haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, by all means, do that before you make a decision about whether to keep them.

Even if they're from the 80's (can be determined using the serial number) the drivers should still be in rather good working order as long as they haven't been abused. And the only thing they might need would be to freshen up the crossovers.

If you can provide the serial numbers (from the tag on the back), the veneer type and some better closeup pictures, then I'm sure some of the forum members could help provide an estimated value for reference.

Edited by GPBusa
  • Like 2

I'll start out the next question on most people's minds;  where are you located?  If you decide not to keep them, they are very desirable on the used market.

I will certainly add my vote to the others, keep them in the family if you possibly can.  They are worth the most to you, and they can add a tremendous about of enjoyment to your life when music comes alive through these fabulous speakers.

Those subwoofers you have there aren't worth a damn, as they only respond down to about 54 hertz.

Many sub woofers today can reach down to 15 hertz no problem.

Seriously now, those are very nice, "heritage line", discontinued, 3 way, full range, loud speakers.

Highly sought after within the Klipsch community.

• Like 1

Pilar - More to the point, you have a pair of speakers that, depending upon condition, could be worth anywhere from $200 - $4000.

Both ends of that price spectrum have seen sales occur, with most being in the middle of the range.

• Like 1

Pilar,

Realistically if they are in good shape and fully working they are worth about $2,000, pretty nice gift I would say!

If you are into music and audio, get them fully up to snuff in good working condition and keep them, you will probably never own a nicer pair of speakers and we can tell you how to check them, hook them up, and replace the capacitors :)

Roger

Welcome to the Klipsch forum. 

You're in the right place to learn about the excellence of Klipsch Belles.

As to the feeding frenzy you've started, settle down guys until it's confirmed that we're dealing with a true pillar of the community.  I suspect and hope we are, but please don't volunteer for catch and release.

Edited by DizRotus

A good friend of our family gave me some old Klipsch subwoofers from the 1980s I think. I looked to see if I could find a model number but all I have is the serial number. I'm not sure if I have the room to keep them and might want to sell them. Help!

As everyone says, they are full range speakers, and they are very good, very articulate speakers.  While they don't have as much bass response as some, it is very clean and tight, with very low frequency modulation distortion, less than most good speakers.

They tend to sound best very near a wall (1") or pushed into a corner, to provide room gain to increase the bass. 

I use one as a center channel in our Home Theater.  It's great!  It goes down fairly well to 40 Hz, but that may be because it is flush mounted in the wall behind the Acoustically Transparent screen.  In that location Audyssey confirms that its -3 dB point is 40 Hz.  There is a s slight peak at 60 Hz, at least in our room.

They sound especially good with a subwoofer crossed over at about 60 to 80 Hz.

• Like 2