K 402 Tad 4002 paper gaskets and thread ?/s

juniper

Well?  Have you tried them yet?

Nope, UPS took care of one of the frams..... They are soooo lame......

Please elaborate. One of the diaphragms is damaged? All the way down inside this driver, damaged by UPS? I'm curious cuz I got a set also from same seller. So even if they read OK with a meter I have to visually inspect?

Yes, all the way down in the belly of the driver.... must have been a "big hit" from UPS, Monty at THS, inspected it, and the fram was torn at the edge, a replacement is in the mail. They were packaged and labeled properly, but one of the CD's read open, so I sent it back.... sad to hear UPS trashed them.... rare frams as they are... You should be good to go if you are getting good readings.

Thanks Juniper. But since I'm a way off from getting these drivers mounted to any horn(let alone a 402) I think I better put a signal through them and make sure they honk.

Sorry to hear of the troubles.  I have a hard time accepting that shipping tore that diaphragm though.  The casings are basically bulletproof.  The diaphragms have a metal mesh cover over them.  The only way to break one would be to have it bottom out which is not likely.  It's very stiff and barely moves.  If this somehow happened the box should have been hammered when you received it.

Do you have any pics of the damage?  All I am saying is that you may have been shipped a blown unit.  At least it's being handled well by the seller.  So good news there.

Sorry Mark no pictures, I do know that he sent me pictures of the units with a meter on them, and they both read the same, and I could see the serial numbers in the photos. The one question read barely anything on my meter and produced no sound.

Good news for me. Both drivers honk :)  Sorry you are having trouble Juniper. On one of mine the black terminal seemed a little loose. Are you sure your open is not there, right where the internal wires attach to the terminals?

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I checked the terminals and they were connected, I didn't want to open the fram cover. Sent it back and he opened it and found the crack.

• 3 months later...

The other issue is that they are pretty much unobtainable new.  At least I don't know how to get them and would probably not pay the price anyhow.

I don't recall the model numbers but I think the 4001 and 4002 were both replaced by the 4003.  I do however, reserve the right to be wrong.

I see the TD-4002 listed by Pioneer on their website. Would this be the exact same sought after TADs for the Jubes?

I see the TD-4002 listed by Pioneer on their website. Would this be the exact same sought after TADs for the Jubes?

Yes, but IIRC, Pioneer/TAD has discontinued them in favor of 4001s--due to the price and availability changes in neodymium magnet material. 

The 4001s are beasts, however - quite heavy due to the material change in the magnet.  They should perform the same  acoustically.

Chris

For me, it's the one extravagance that I've never regretted.  I would never put that much money on a preamp or an amplifier, or any other piece of electronics or analog source device.  Once you hear the TADs on the K-402s tuned up using a good digital crossover and with good room acoustics, it's clear that no piece of electronics is ever going to give you that sound.  It's the real "hi-fi" in my setup. 

But I know a lot of people don't like that answer.  I understand.  However if it's real hi-fi that you want instead of a conversation piece, I'd recommend liquidating your investment in high priced tubes and turntables and getting yourself a pair of these.  You'll never look back.

The sound can be described as "as real as I've ever heard reproduced music before".  It's transparent and crisp with no gimmicks to make the room sound larger or make it sound like "Technicolor".  It's the real thing.  No bells or whistles...no BS.  No fatigue, no horn sound, no stridency that you'd associate with other Heritage products.  Pianos and female vocals come alive and are in proportion to the rest of the music.  No confused sound.  and you can hear the effects of better upstream electronics--it's not subtle, like I've found using other Klipsch Heritage products--or anything else for that matter.

And once you get the room FR flat, channels time-aligned, early acoustic reflections controlled, and control the RT60 of the room down to about 0.35- 0.45 vs., frequency, it's easy to listen to these every waking moment of the day...which I basically have for the past 2 years.

The best that I can describe it is that it sounds like a high class mixing or mastering studio, except that it's not clinical in terms of near nil room reverberation--you get to hear the room around you, too.  With excellent recordings you sometimes become aware that you're sitting in the room with the musicians as they play when you close your eyes.

I have to add that the multiple-entry K-402 actually has much better lower midrange/midbass than the Jubs...but that's not a function of the compression drivers but rather where you're putting the woofers and how much piston area they have.  I'm currently working that path.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

I took mine apart a few months back.  I believe the screws that come out are on the back of the driver.  It was not hard and I managed to get it back together, OK.  I had the adapters off when I took it apart, but I am not sure that you need to have them off.  There are wires that run from the diaphragm to the connectors, just be careful and don't force anything.  It seemed simple enough at the time that I don't recall any issues when I did it.  I think you'll be OK.

Joe

• Like 1

I'd go on Joe's advice, above. 

I've not had mine apart since I bought them new in 2009: there's no reason to do it for home listening duty which is extremely easy on these drivers.  I expect to get a lifetime of listening out of them without having to open them up. 

Chris