I have always likes air rifles so thought you might like this.

ricktate

Todays air guns are high tech.....Using 3000- 4000 lbs of air pressure. There are ones that use nitrogen cylinders like the struts on car hoods. Then of course there are the high end springer's. They even have 50 cal. 45 cal. 25 cal. now. Then there are FX brand  have what they call smooth bore rifling where it is only rifled at the last 2 inches. I heard these are proving them selves in the regular gun area also. Rick

I shot competition airguns both springer and PCP (Pre-Charged Pneumatic) for quite a number of years.  Participated in 3 National Championship matches, numerous Washington State Championship matches, and set two world records.  I witnessed the Lewis and Clark gun in person at a National Championship match in Connecticut a number of years ago.

• Like 2

Very cool video/s.....Awesome JIMBO on your success!!! I have had a bunch of holes in one in golf, hardest shot ever, was a barn swallow from the hip, one handed, while riding a tractor, cutting the lawn with a Crossman pump action.... I felt so bad, would love to know the odds, way more than a hole in one.... If you ever saw a barn swallow fly, they are certainly the owners of the air space bellow 15'.

Edited by juniper

OK Jimmer.  Coincidentally I've been wanting to get an air gun.  I was looking for quiet and accurate.  Are you current on what's out there or just into the high end stuff?

Hey Carl, yep I'm current on what's out there.  Most of what has changed is the real high end stuff.  As is the case in our audio world, it just depends on your budget and what you want to accomplish.  Target, or critters, or both?  Accuracy is a function of a lot of different factors, including (of course) the shooter themselves, choice of gun, distance, temperature, humidity, wind.  Those little pellets are easily affected by the smallest force.  I would say that most of the decent units out there are fairly quiet, not silent mind you, but pretty good.  It is a fun hobby, but just like anything else, can get really expensive and time consuming very quickly.