I have always likes air rifles so thought you might like this.

ricktate

That's a sidewheel that adjusts the focus down to less than 1 yard, and then there is a corresponding marking on the wheel (seen on the blue tape), that shows what that yardage actually is.  Based on that yardage readout, the up/down calibration of the scope can then be adjusted to calibrate the pellet flight path.  The larger the wheel, the finer the adjustment can be.

My dad coached an air rifle team many years ago...  used Feinwerkbau's (rifle and pistol) which sadly we don't have any left anymore.  Freaked out the neighbors when I took one outside for some pigeon removal.  

I'd love to get into that again to share with my kids.  An accurate and comfortable gun helps a lot to make it fun.

OK Jimmer.  Coincidentally I've been wanting to get an air gun.  I was looking for quiet and accurate.  Are you current on what's out there or just into the high end stuff?

Hey Carl, yep I'm current on what's out there.  Most of what has changed is the real high end stuff.  As is the case in our audio world, it just depends on your budget and what you want to accomplish.  Target, or critters, or both?  Accuracy is a function of a lot of different factors, including (of course) the shooter themselves, choice of gun, distance, temperature, humidity, wind.  Those little pellets are easily affected by the smallest force.  I would say that most of the decent units out there are fairly quiet, not silent mind you, but pretty good.  It is a fun hobby, but just like anything else, can get really expensive and time consuming very quickly.

I was going to mention if he could come up with a used Feinwerkbau 300S, that should be a good median. As for pneumatics, I never did like the bbl. cockers. Side or under bbl. is fine by me.

Edited by Mighty Favog

As for pneumatics, I never did like the bbl. cockers. Side or under bbl. is fine by me.

Every barrel cocker I've seen had accuracy problems - the scope is mounted solidly on the receiver and when the pivot bushing holding the barrel loosens, the barrel moves around enough to destroy accuracy.

Look, we're not talking competition requirements here, and lucky for Carl, I'm not the one spending his money.  I am trying to advise him based on his requirements and budget.  I have owned literally dozens of airguns and shot tens of thousands of rounds in competition, so I think I know what I'm talking about.