Seeking Subwoofer Advice

fuzzydog

10 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

What veneer did you end up going with? Looks like a flat cut cherry? 

Yes, it's flat cut cherry.  I ordered it from the Oakwood Veneer website here:  http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/cherry-veneer-flat-cut-american-black.html

I purchased the standard quality veneer, but if i were to do it again i would get the premium quality.  The sheet i received had quite a lot of small knots which made it difficult to get a clean section for the visible portions of the box.  

The only trouble i've run into with the veneer is the glue gumming up my flush trim router bit.  I also had to be careful not to crack off the excess overhang at the edges of the box when using my veneer scraper.  

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDog said:

I'm trying to match the finish of my cherry RF-7 IIs as closely as possible.  Does anyone know what kind of finish the factory applies and/or how to closely replicate the appearance?

No idea BUT, you should have plenty of scrap left over to try different finishes on.  All of the finishes I saw being applied at the factory were sprayed on.  I'm not sure what they were using however.

4 hours ago, FuzzyDog said:

Yes, it's flat cut cherry.  I ordered it from the Oakwood Veneer website here:  http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/cherry-veneer-flat-cut-american-black.html

I purchased the standard quality veneer, but if i were to do it again i would get the premium quality.  The sheet i received had quite a lot of small knots which made it difficult to get a clean section for the visible portions of the box.  

The only trouble i've run into with the veneer is the glue gumming up my flush trim router bit.  I also had to be careful not to crack off the excess overhang at the edges of the box when using my veneer scraper.  

Yes! Man first said I ever did had a very short overhang and I cracked it with the scraper. Lesson learned really quick on that one. It's actually pretty easy to do if you just take your time. I thought of trying the flush cut bit. Which do you use? A regular one or did you try a down spiral bit? I could see glue gumming it up. I just use a razor blade hurts my fingers after about ten minutes but really easy other than that 

1 hour ago, Scrappydue said:

You might look into a downward spiral flush bit. They recommend them on the veneer site I shop at cause it pushes the veneer down as it cuts. Makes sense to me. 

That does look like the better way to go.  I bet it would help with the glue buildup problem.  I'd be nice if they offered it in a 1/2" shank, but that might be overkill.  

Yeah I think that would be way overkill conserving how thick of material you are cutting. I find I like the 1/2" when I'm ramming through a 3/8" overhang of 3/4" Mdf and I can push as fast as my router can go and don't worry about the bit. Otherwise 1/4" would be plenty  for a little thin bit. I use a upspiral 1/4" bit to route my circles out and it cuts plenty fast as well. 

• Like 1