Seeking Subwoofer Advice

fuzzydog

sure you can make plywood stick to MDF.  If measurements ar off, Harbor Freight is your friend.  I have built boxes where Home depot or Lowes did the initial cutting and some of it was off by 1/2 in or more.  2 mm is child's play and easy to fix.

On July 16, 2017 at 11:07 AM, RoboKlipsch said:

My last build was the same off by a mm or 2.  I think no prob gluing them together.  

You may want to use some steel brackets inside. Fasten, then coat the screws and brackets.

• 2 years later...

Hi yall, I'm resurrecting my old thread regarding an issue I've had since completing my subwoofer build.

Specifically, I've always struggled with a distracting hum from my subwoofer.  It was to the point where I would rarely turn it on and was very frustrated after working through what may be causing it.

Well, I happened across a Monoprice brand XLR to RCA cable on Amazon which would let me bypass the Art CleanBox pro that I had in-line between my receiver and subwoofer amp.  I've never seen a cable in this configuration before and thought it was worth a shot to isolate the CleanBox as the source of the hum.

Sure enough, the hum completely disappeared when I pulled the CleanBox out of the system.  Even with my subwoofer amp gain turned all the way up there is no hum.

Naturally this creates another problem since the receiver's subwoofer out jack doesn't provide the same signal level as I was getting through the Cleanbox.  Do you guys know of another way to compensate for the loss of gain that the CleanBox was providing?  Of course I could just turn up the gain on the sub, but i'm still not getting the same oomph as I was with the CleanBox.  

I'm also wondering if I maybe had a defective CleanBox...what do you think the odds are of that?

So you're coming out of an AVR unbalanced (RCA) going into a pro amp balanced (XLR)?

Monoprice RCA to XLR cables are wired properly to get the best possible performance from that type of hookup--as you have found out, no hum. This is as long as the pro amp input is wired properly internally, which is not a guarantee. But since the Monoprice cable gets a no-hum output it is probably OK.

Why you were getting hum from the Cleanbox is not clear but I would not automatically jump to "Cleanbox is bad". I think you had/have a ground loop when the Cleanbox is installed. You can using scientific repeatable methods to determine and solve the problem if you so desire.

On 9/15/2019 at 7:13 PM, fuzzydog said:

I'm also wondering if I maybe had a defective CleanBox...what do you think the odds are of that?

About 50/50 ?

On 9/16/2019 at 11:43 AM, babadono said:

Why you were getting hum from the Cleanbox is not clear but I would not automatically jump to "Cleanbox is bad". I think you had/have a ground loop when the Cleanbox is installed. You can using scientific repeatable methods to determine and solve the problem if you so desire.

I agree, and would want to make sure that the single 120V outlet for your entire audio system is a good, clean source to start with. 

• 7 months later...