Seeking Subwoofer Advice

fuzzydog

Well I'm still on the fence :unsure: .  I'm actually leaning now to buying dual Klipsch R-115SW's.  There's quite a few positive reviews out there on these and a pair could be had for the price of a single Rythmic or most PSA subs.  What do you guys think...is this a good idea? 

Well I'm still on the fence :unsure: .  I'm actually leaning now to buying dual Klipsch R-115SW's.  There's quite a few positive reviews out there on these and a pair could be had for the price of a single Rythmic or most PSA subs.  What do you guys think...is this a good idea?

As I stated before, down low they are beasts, especially two of them. I just prefer to keep that crossover low. Up high on music there are some concussive sounds or possibly harmonics that I don't like, just kind of colored. For movie LFE with the lowest audible sounds they are great. Dubstep and other electronic low bass, just ridiculous for what they are. They've been out for awhile but I just received one out of the blue a week ago, have been using it for music in a different room that is 9,000 cubic feet instead of my smaller theater room, still have the same opinion.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Just so you don't think I'm crazy, here's a professional reviewer that noticed about the same things that I've been saying. "Weird" peak at 70 hz unless you use the crossover, and not much definition in the form of growl from electric bass guitar, which like myself is coming from a bass player who knows what to listen for.

But, look at 20-40 hz which is where most of the magic happens in home theater. You're golden in that range, they sound great for that purpose. Still sucks that the Hsu is nearly 6 db louder in that same range though. That's huge. Two of these sound great in that range though, on a normal sized room it would be hard to be displeased with normal movie LFE.

http://hometheaterreview.com/klipsch-r-115sw-subwoofer-reviewed/?page=2

That still reads as a pretty positive review.  Wouldn't the receiver EQ level out that 70Hz peak?

I haven't messed with it recently but previously I ran the consumer Audessey multiple times on a flagship receiver and I still noticed it, especially at high volume. I always thought it sounded more like a resonance or something rather than just a frequency boost that could be brought down as it seems to be very directional/localizable when this happens. If you turn down the built in crossover you can make it go away for the most part, but you shouldn't have to do that if you're crossing over at 80 on the receiver already. I mean, look at that chart, that's like 8 decibels. Most receivers don't have an adjustable slope like he mentioned either.

This is the Klipsch Discussion Forum.  Of course you should be a Klipsch product!  You get:

• Proven quality
  • Good Warranty from an established company that stands behind their product
  • Quality finish
  • Product and Technical support

Meet me over on AVS.com in the DIY Speakers and Subs section, I might give you an different answer on a DIY solution.  Meet me on AVS.com in the Subwoofers, Transducers and Bass section I might give you a different suggestion still on a different brand.  I don't know.

I do know if you get a pair of Klipsch subs you will be getting a good product that will fit your needs.  You may not get 100% the absolute best sub that has been produced in the history of the world for cost vs DB per cubic dollar vs lowest possible distortion that you can't hear blah blah blah, but you will be getting a solid value.

I own a Klipsch sub and I own a DIY sub, so I'm not an expert.  Those ^^^ are just my opinions.

Edited by wvu80

If you turn down the built in crossover you can make it go away for the most part, but you shouldn't have to do that if you're crossing over at 80 on the receiver already.

Does using both the internal sub crossover and your receiver cross over screw anything up?  Do you just end up with a really steep slope?

Does using both the internal sub crossover and your receiver cross over screw anything up? Do you just end up with a really steep slope?

The quick answer is no to the first question, I don't know to the second.

I set both sub and AVR to 80 Hz.  I have heard a lot of people say turn your sub XO up as high as you can (like 120 Hz) and let the AVR set the XO point to 80 Hz.  Effectively the 80 Hz point does the same thing either way and there is no drawback.

Edited by wvu80

Does using both the internal sub crossover and your receiver cross over screw anything up?  Do you just end up with a really steep slope?

I don't know what exactly it does to be honest. If you cut it out completely you're kind of mostly left with very low bass, doesn't seem to be quite the midbass that you would normally get.

I have heard a lot of people say turn your sub XO up as high as you can (like 120 Hz) and let the AVR set the XO point to 80 Hz.

Yes ideally you would do this on everything, and let the receiver do the crossing over.

You can use the avr XO and the sub XO.  this will result in a 48 db slope and help filter out things around the XO if that is objectionable to you.  If this is happening at 80 Hz, and easy things to do is change the XO to 50 or 100 Hz and see which one you like better.

I've got dual r -115sw's in a room that's 2400 cu ft. and there's times I feel like the subs are going to blow my window frames into the yard. I paid a little over 1400 for both brand new. For me it was money well spent and didn't feel like I broke the bank and I got some great quality sounding subs. I watch a lot of movies and listen to quite a bit of music and they sound great for both.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, i just ordered the last available DIY Sound Group 4 CF sealed flat pack cut for a Stereo Integrity 18" driver.  I'm planning to order one of the new SI DS4-18s to go with it when they get posted up on SI's website.

This will be my first DIY project so i'm sure i'll have lots of questions.   

Edited by FuzzyDog

It will be fun.  Ask all the question that come up.  This will give us something to do in the subwoofer forum. :)

Thanks Derrick.  

I also just ordered the driver.  Sundown Audio is handling ordering for the new SI DS4 drivers.  They're not up on the SI website yet, but Sundown posted a link to the order form on the AVS forum thread for these drivers here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2206417-stereo-integrity-ds4-18-a-12.html

Thought your wife wasn't real keen on DIY 18's? You change her mind for her?

She's made a few comments lately about the theater being "my room" so i figured i'm good to go.   :ph34r:

That and she's probably tired of me surfing the DIY build threads on my ipad all night.   :D

• Like 2

Quick question for you guys.  

Would 14 gauge speaker wire be acceptable for the internal sub wiring?  I have a bunch of in-wall 14 gauge speaker wire left over from my theater build.

Most subwoofer build threads i've read online seem to use 12 gauge.  I'm just wondering if the thicker gauge was needed due to the higher current loads associated with the subwoofer amp.

Thanks.