Seeking Subwoofer Advice

fuzzydog

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Just PL a circle blank in a few places cut a bit smaller than the current cutout, let the glue dry and use the plunge router to finish it off properly.

I'm not sure i understand this completely.  Do you mean that i should cut out a circle from a scrap piece of MDF and attach it to the box with glue as a template?  Why would it need to be smaller than the existing cutout?

35 minutes ago, FuzzyDog said:

I'm not sure i understand this completely.  Do you mean that i should cut out a circle from a scrap piece of MDF and attach it to the box with glue as a template?  Why would it need to be smaller than the existing cutout?

Yes, glue a circle template in the circle cutout flush with the surface.

So you will be able to use the plunge router to properly recess the driver like you want it, just use the router to remove the blank when you are done.

Make sure the cutout is centered properly and its an easy fix.

Use a sharp bit so not to mess up the veneer.

• Like 1

It would look nice but otherwise I'm not sure why everybody is obsessed with flush mounting subs in the home audio world.  Doesn't really help anything acoustically speaking.  I guess everybody gets used to seeing it that way on towers and that's just how it's going to be on subs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

It would look nice but otherwise I'm not sure why everybody is obsessed with flush mounting subs in the home audio world.  Doesn't really help anything acoustically speaking.  I guess everybody gets used to seeing it that way on towers and that's just how it's going to be on subs.  

If nothing else, it gave me an excuse to buy this gigantic router bit...

image.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I'm not sure why everybody is obsessed with flush mounting subs in the home audio world.

you could look at it this way. I'm not sure why anyone would spend money on a granite top to make really nice looking subs but not flush mount them and leave them looking like every other cheap car sub out there? :P

that and the grill thing like jason mentioned. 

its not hard, its looks way nicer, and grills are easier to figure out. i CANT think of a reason NOT to do it. 

Diysoundgroup puts a roundover on their subwoofer baffles which makes them difficult to veneer.  I really only needed the router to create a new baffle so I'd have square edges to veneer.  I also used it to trim the veneer edges but you really don't need a router for that; scrappydue said he used a razor for trimming.

53 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Thanks FD.  I saw that discussion about the roundovers.  I thought as a rookie maybe paint the front and veneer top and sides...paint the bottom?  

I've seen lots of pics of subs done like you suggest and they look ok.  Just google diy veneered subwoofer for examples.

I'm a complete noob at both diy and veneering.  It seems imposing at first, but it's really not very difficult once you get started.  

I didn't own the router or bits I needed when I started this project, but I figure they'll get used again in the future so I made the investment.  Now I need to build the second subwoofer just to get my average build cost down. 

Thanks FD.  I'm trying hard not to go down the road of buying equipment. I got some clamps, but those are cheap.

I'll think about it and make a plan and post it up in the Legacy thread you started since that's the driver.

The cutout does fit from the flat pack, still have to make sure depth of driver is OK at 9.75".

FD could you have made the cutout in the veneer for the driver without the router?  That part seems almost impossible without a cutting tool but I don't know woodworking.   I guess it's probably moot for me as veneering a roundover port and such is probably way beyond something I should try as a rookie builder using training wheels :)