Seeking Subwoofer Advice

fuzzydog

17 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

you could look at it this way. I'm not sure why anyone would spend money on a granite top to make really nice looking subs but not flush mount them and leave them looking like every other cheap car sub out there? :P

Might as well include the $10,000 James M213 in this statement.  Looks perfectly legit to me.  Most all commercial JBL stuff forgets to flush mount as well. 

M213_iso_WEBrgb.jpg?1435249536

In regard to the latest Metropolis Photo, and the "no tools" following post, in that case, have a local guy w a tablesaw rip a 1X to correct width to act as a shim to bring grill forward (if you want a "flush" appearance), then online order a custom size canvas (for paintings) frame, cover w cloth and staplegun.   Lars

13 hours ago, FuzzyDog said:

Diysoundgroup puts a roundover on their subwoofer baffles which makes them difficult to veneer.  I really only needed the router to create a new baffle so I'd have square edges to veneer.  I also used it to trim the veneer edges but you really don't need a router for that; scrappydue said he used a razor for trimming.

Ill check again but looking now it seemed the 15 ported does not have roundovers.  If not maybe i can veneer the front too.  The port is rounded but only in shape no roundovers.  How would i cut the circles in the veneer....slowly with a knife?

Most folks aren't aware of the custom sized canvas art frames available online, one can use  for speaker grille frame usage.

Quite reasonably priced.

Just be aware tolerance usually +- like 1/8, NOT important for a painting canvas, but important to fit confines of a speaker box.

Extremely sturdy milled corner joints, simple to assemble w basic wood glue

Self squaring, but still gotta check diagonal equality (Finer than w a "square" possibly even,)before you walk away for this accurate use.  Lars

On 9/2/2016 at 2:11 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Might as well include the $10,000 James M213 in this statement.  Looks perfectly legit to me.  Most all commercial JBL stuff forgets to flush mount as well. 

M213_iso_WEBrgb.jpg?1435249536

I like the non-flush mount look.  I guess if you want a grill just build the sub to have the baffle recessed  back further.  I actually like see the driver and this really does not take away from the appearance.  For large subs, there is no decorative hiding of the big box with out a lot of trouble.

1 minute ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I'm very impressed with the finish and how well it goes with the flooring.  Really a nice choice and job.  Did you stain the cabinet or just leave as is? 

It's actually still completely unfinished in that photo...just raw veneer.  I've ordered a quart of the Tried and True Stain & Finish in Cherry, but i'm still waiting on it to be delivered.  I needed something with no VOC's so i could work indoors without stinking up the house with fumes.  

TriedTrue_Product_GroupShot2-Feature-Photo.jpg