Heresy HWO vs HBR

doc1623

I sold my Heresy IIs years ago (to my eternal regret). I bought a pair of HBR's and I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of HWO's. I can't afford III's. Would the HWOs be noticeably better than my HBRs or not.

Thanks

Edited by doc1623

Hi and welcome to the forum! The HWO and HBR are the same speakers but a different finish. The code is: HWO- Hersey Walnut Oiled and HBR: Hersey Raw Birch. It is really a matter of taste which finish you like. I would make sure to ask the seller of the HWO if they have ever finished or oiled them. Check the conditions of the cabs on the HWO ones as well as they dont have as much moisture protection being raw wood. Personally, I love the look of the Raw Birch rubbed in mineral oil which I did to my LaScalas with great success. The HWOs tend to hold a slightly higher resale value if they are left unfinished though as they are a little more 'rare'. Anyway, good luck with the hunt and negotiations if you decide to buy!  Also, if you are building a HT system, a good sub with 2 hereseys as mains and 2 as surrounds is pretty incredible and you can hunt down a single for a center channel later down the road.

Also, both sets probably need new capacitors as they dry out and go bad over time. Bob Crites has a great aftermarket crossovers or can even replace the caps on your current ones. He does great work and is an upstanding guy:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

Edit- If you can get the serial numbers and list them here others can give you more detailed info on the year they were made etc as there were some different versions etc.

Edited by twk123

HWO stands for Heresy Walnut Oil

HBR stands for Heresy Birch Raw (unfinished)

And is nothing more than a description of the exterior finish. It has nothing to do with the components inside, which could be exactly the same or different depending on how old the speaker is.

Depending on what you find visually appealing, the HWO's (assuming they're in nice condition) will generally look better.

If they're both original Heresy I's (and relatively the same age/condition) then they'll probably sound the same.