May be building something different

jason str

Have a pair of Heresy's with bad K-22's.

Have the K-55 (soldered version) and some donated Crites CT- 125's.

Cabinet building is no problem but some help choosing parts would be nice.

Could either build a Cornwall replica or La Scala clone with a pair of Eminence Kappa 15 C

I'm leaning to the La Scala as that is one of my favorites and about as big as i could go.

The K-401 is kind of pricey, any reasonable priced aftermarket horns out there that would mate with the K-55 ?

Probably build some AL-3's if the La Scala is chosen.

Never been a huge Cornwall fan and prefer the Chorus II but just a thought.

Still in thinking mode and nothing set in stone but figured why spend $200 on Heresy woofers when a little more cash and some labor i can get something so much better.

Thoughts ?

Guest David H

Nice, another project!

Post lots of pictures.

As for horns, I don't know, I would look at parts express selection and see if you can find something that loads to 600hz

Never been a huge Cornwall fan
:sad:

Dave

• Like 1

Nice, another project!

Post lots of pictures.

As for horns, I don't know, I would look at parts express selection and see if you can find something that loads to 600hz

Never been a huge Cornwall fan
:sad:

Dave

Everything looks to be 2" that loads that low.

May need to use an adapter plate or look for some used K-400,401 i guess.

Not that i hate Cornwall's at all i just prefer the Chorus II.

I will post lots of pictures but I'm still in planning stages.

I have had your very thoughts and it is as you say hard to find a 1" horn that will go low enough at a reasonable price. You may consider this cheap 1" horn but it is questionable as going low enough when the recommend low range is 800hz. It would probably be fine with a Cornwall or Cornscala build. It would not cost much to give it a try. If you decide on a Scala build I would make a 2 section Scala. I like the looks of them better for one reason and it would be easier to try different horns. 

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-h812-1-exponential-horn-100x60-2-bolt--270-304

From what I have found on the net the Scala bass bin does goes a lot higher than most think. Right now I have mine crossed at 625hz using an Altec 511B which would be an ideal choice or maybe even the Altec 811 which you can still find on Ebay at reasonable prices. 

There is the guy that makes the after market wooden replacement horns, his name escapes me right now but he is not hard to find if you want me to but his price is in the hundreds maybe $400 to $500 for a pair.

I was looking at that horn, probably a decent option if i went with a non horn loaded bass bin though still would need an adapter plate for the threaded K-55.

Not going with an Altec horn, i grew up with them and just about gave away all the Altec stuff many years ago.

Spending $4-500 is out of the question, at most i may get some used K-401's.

Harry-O nuilt a Walrus, a picture I have somwhere. The front dimensions were similar to a Chorus or Forte on the front baffle but a cornwall vulume (i think).

Bruce

I would not be going wide like the Cornwall for sure, best to stretch it out and het them horns up high.

I don't know when you're planning on building.  You seem pretty confident with your budget constraints (which is certainly fine).

That said, if it works for your timing, I've got an extra K510/K69 that isn't yet in use.

If timing goes as I expect, I'm getting that to the hands of someone (Bruce) in the month of January when I expect to be in Chattanooga.

Game plan is that he has it for a period of time, likely no LESS than a month.

When he's done, either he or I can ship it to you for you to try out for a while to see what you think.

For my ears, after hearing the larger format horns, there's simply no going back if I can avoid it.  It would also perhaps allow you to go to 2-way and sell some of your extra parts to recoup some of the cost.  (of course, then you'd need a different crossover or an active so there go the cost savings, forget I mentioned them!)

What I'm wagering is that you'd like the difference and if that's accurate, you could incorporate the cutouts into your motorboard and make the swap later on as you pleased.  

• Like 1

I don't know when you're planning on building.  You seem pretty confident with your budget constraints (which is certainly fine).

That said, if it works for your timing, I've got an extra K510/K69 that isn't yet in use.

If timing goes as I expect, I'm getting that to the hands of someone (Bruce) in the month of January when I expect to be in Chattanooga.

Game plan is that he has it for a period of time, likely no LESS than a month.

When he's done, either he or I can ship it to you for you to try out for a while to see what you think.

For my ears, after hearing the larger format horns, there's simply no going back if I can avoid it.  It would also perhaps allow you to go to 2-way and sell some of your extra parts to recoup some of the cost.  (of course, then you'd need a different crossover or an active so there go the cost savings, forget I mentioned them!)

What I'm wagering is that you'd like the difference and if that's accurate, you could incorporate the cutouts into your motorboard and make the swap later on as you pleased.  

I would love a pair of 510's but i don't think i will be able to afford anything even close.

The 510/69 needs a tweeter correct ?

Is there a crossover for this mod ? Not really interested in going active.

The offer is generous but giving it back would only break my heart.

The 510 would be my first choice right behind the 402 but even if i had the cash would not have the room for a set of horns as big as those.

What would be a big help is selling that beautiful Red Oak Table Tuba to fund the project but seems people prefer lower performance black vinyl wrapped boxes made in China for some reason. :blink:

Edited by jason str

The La Scala bin can go up to 700ish with light and easily-reversible mods -- check out Carl Huff's SEOScala project over at AVS.  Is it loading you're looking for, or pattern control?  Where are you wanting to cross?

Dave's Fastrac horns come up in the classifieds from time to time, and I have a pair of original metal K400s for sale in the garage sale section if you want to go with an all-Klipsch solution as well.

• Like 1

Maybe it was the 1133 i was thinking about that needed a tweeter and not the K-69.

The 'tweeter' is in fact, the K510/K69 so with it's use, you wouldn't need one.

For home use, the K69 works admirably on the 402.  It's the tweeter driver digging low.  For residential use, you don't have too much concern about blowing the driver (prior to your ears)

I'm not aware of any passive, only active.

The nice thing about the 510 is it can fit inside the speaker like most any other driver, totally enclosed inside the cabinet.  (very unlike the 402)

The 510 can make for a cleaner install

• Like 1

The La Scala bin can go up to 700ish with light and easily-reversible mods -- check out Carl Huff's SEOScala project over at AVS.  Is it loading you're looking for, or pattern control?  Where are you wanting to cross?

Not sure, if i go with the 400or 401 the stock AL-3 is fine in my book.

Don't need anything below 100 Hz as the THT will take over from there, what i would like is more detailed midrange that the 15c should provide.

Dave's Fastrac horns come up in the classifieds from time to time, and I have a pair of original metal K400s for sale in the garage sale section if you want to go with an all-Klipsch solution as well.

Dave's squawker would be a great option but again trying to keep the build within reach.

I will look at your 4 sale post.

Maybe it was the 1133 i was thinking about that needed a tweeter and not the K-69.

The 'tweeter' is in fact, the K510/K69 so with it's use, you wouldn't need one.

For home use, the K69 works admirably on the 402.  It's the tweeter driver digging low.  For residential use, you don't have too much concern about blowing the driver (prior to your ears)

I'm not aware of any passive, only active.

The nice thing about the 510 is it can fit inside the speaker like most any other driver, totally enclosed inside the cabinet.  (very unlike the 402)

The 510 can make for a cleaner install

Thank you, the active is just out of the question.

Just more money i don't have.

Claude has been kind enough to send me out his last K-401 for shipping costs so looks like a La Scala clone build is set in stone.

It was my first choice as i miss my La Scala's dearly. :emotion-50:

Thank you Claude for getting me one step closer to musical nirvana.

• Like 1