May be building something different

jason str

I bought my Scala's in '86 and have been satisfied speaker wise ever since. Jason are you going to dress them up or are you going just for the sound? I do like the newer veneer ones Klipsch is selling now along with the split sections. They have a better WAF except for their size. There is no way to hide them for any length of time from the little lady. I was lucky in that my ex never really complained about my speakers. She knew how much they meant to me. 

Not sure yet about the finish, maybe a grey smooth Duratex I'm thinking,

The La Scala & THT sound great together.

Thinking i should run a high pass filter on the Eminence Kappa 15C.

X-max is limited to 2.4mm & the cabinet cuts off around 100 Hz.

Does horn loading change impedance of the woofer in this design ?

If so will i need to make adjustments to the passive high pass filter ?

First order enough ?

Edit.. After thinking about it i think one of those RCA style bass blockers should work after the cable Y.

Edited by jason str

If you really want to improve upon the La Scala bottom end:

1. 13 ply baltic birch

2. Either cross brace the bottom "exactly" like the EV FH-1 and HPS4000 555 & 525 series, or simply rotate the doghouse 90 degrees inside bin like the original La Scala did to avoid cross bracing all together.

3. K43 driver, as you intend to use a sub

4. Provisions to close off the backside of the top cabinet just like the La Scala II.

Those four would make a keeper for life, and wouldn't scare off potential buyers in the future. :emotion-22:

Edited by Quiet_Hollow
  • Like 1

Woops...meant Peavey FH-1.

...and the 555 looks like this (pic from their site) :

555announcement.jpg

The original theater La Scala design implemented a fully constrained mouth for the bass bin and an open top (no possibility of resonance)...purpose-built for max performance, not cosmetics:

9425167176_a88f49aca4_n.jpg

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

I will be sticking to the 3/4" plywood La Scala footprint.

Braces will keep those sidewalls in check.

Only really noticed it at higher volumes but could hear it with my old pair of La Scala's.

Should be a fun project, still need horns, crossovers & woofers.

I would be open to K-43 idea if the cost & availability were within reach.

Braces will keep those sidewalls in check. Only really noticed it at higher volumes but could hear it with my old pair of La Scala's.

Yeah, everyone else tends to fuss over bracing the mouth, but I'd wager the enclosure assembly sitting right on top of the bass bin also becomes a factor around Fc and is why they sealed it up on the II models. It's essentially a hidden Helmholtz resonator.

When I tap on top of my cabs, it sounds right about at that frequency where it could be a problem at volume.

When I get around to it, I'll measure it to see what the actual difference between the two are.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

Woops...meant Peavey FH-1.

...and the 555 looks like this (pic from their site) :

555announcement.jpg

The original theater La Scala design implemented a fully constrained mouth for the bass bin and an open top (no possibility of resonance)...purpose-built for max performance, not cosmetics:

9425167176_a88f49aca4_n.jpg

This is also what I did to my LS. Rotate it and you dont need braces, put the horn on top and time align them.

post-61702-0-51240000-1451457793_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Just about to pick up a pair of Altec 511 horns off the local C-list when out of the blue a new local forum member offered to sell me a set of K-400 horns for the same price and i could not be happier.

Picking up a new saw that cuts 60 degree angles as rigging up my table saw to cut angles over 45 degree makes me nervous.

Plywood is here ready for cutting.

Still have to save for woofers & crossovers but things are at least in motion now.

I will sell my recapped E networks to help fund some of the parts cost but the fun should begin soon, can't wait to have a fully horn loaded system once again.

I can send you Dennis' text file on how to build the cabs... soon as i get back to the office.

I believe the nose pieces/ doghouse roof is made with 30 degree cuts.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

I can send you Dennis' text file on how to build the cabs... soon as i get back to the office.

I believe the nose pieces/ doghouse roof is made with 30 degree cuts.

Bruce

I do have this, not sure if its the best one to go off of but any help before i start would greatly appreciated.

post-28570-0-47180000-1453230737_thumb.j

post-28570-0-39180000-1453230748_thumb.j

I have this one also.

LaScala11 plans.pdf

Edited by jason str

Have a pair of Heresy's with bad K-22's.

Have the K-55 (soldered version) and some donated Crites CT- 125's.

Cabinet building is no problem but some help choosing parts would be nice.

Could either build a Cornwall replica or La Scala clone with a pair of Eminence Kappa 15 C

I'm leaning to the La Scala as that is one of my favorites and about as big as i could go.

The K-401 is kind of pricey, any reasonable priced aftermarket horns out there that would mate with the K-55 ?

Probably build some AL-3's if the La Scala is chosen.

Never been a huge Cornwall fan and prefer the Chorus II but just a thought.

Still in thinking mode and nothing set in stone but figured why spend $200 on Heresy woofers when a little more cash and some labor i can get something so much better.

Thoughts ?

Not to change the direction of your thinking, but with what you have, get a classic cornscala motorboard from Bob Crtites.  Get a pair of la scala fastracs from Dave.

Your K55 screw right on the horns.  The horns fit right on the motorboard perfect cutout.  Your tweeters will fit perfectly.

Get crites woofers or the kappas.  Bunch of crossover options.  easy build.

jc

• Like 1

Have a pair of Heresy's with bad K-22's.

Have the K-55 (soldered version) and some donated Crites CT- 125's.

Cabinet building is no problem but some help choosing parts would be nice.

Could either build a Cornwall replica or La Scala clone with a pair of Eminence Kappa 15 C

I'm leaning to the La Scala as that is one of my favorites and about as big as i could go.

The K-401 is kind of pricey, any reasonable priced aftermarket horns out there that would mate with the K-55 ?

Probably build some AL-3's if the La Scala is chosen.

Never been a huge Cornwall fan and prefer the Chorus II but just a thought.

Still in thinking mode and nothing set in stone but figured why spend $200 on Heresy woofers when a little more cash and some labor i can get something so much better.

Thoughts ?

Not to change the direction of your thinking, but with what you have, get a classic cornscala motorboard from Bob Crtites.  Get a pair of la scala fastracs from Dave.

Your K55 screw right on the horns.  The horns fit right on the motorboard perfect cutout.  Your tweeters will fit perfectly.

Get crites woofers or the kappas.  Bunch of crossover options.  easy build.

jc

I thought about that but want something i will be happy with and the Cornscala would just end up being sold.

Dave's Fastrac horn would be a great addition but working only out of my garage at my own pace due to health issues does not pay much so Fastrac horns were out of reach, plus i just spent a bunch of dough on some used K-400's.

I already have Chorus II's but miss the La Scala's i had to sell during hard times so figured i would just replace them.

If i had more room i would have built something bigger but the La Scala is great for my needs and looks like an easy build as well.