New Here

Deronb1

I do appreciate the offer and om not completely against it. As far as cars go, i broke down and bought a Challenger RT Classic...lol.

Im gonna catch it for this remark, but it could be quite possible that i will not care for the horn. Wont know till i try right? Baby steps :)

Frankly, that is why I'd urge you to give a listen.  Liken it to a test drive of your Challenger verses reading a magazine.  The magazine will give you some good thoughts on the performance but you won't know anything until you hear the growl and feel the pressure in your back as you punch the throttle.

If horns aren't your cup of tea (and they're not for everyone it seems), why not figure that out with an afternoon drive verses spending cash!

Either way, Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

I do appreciate the offer and om not completely against it. As far as cars go, i broke down and bought a Challenger RT Classic...lol.

Im gonna catch it for this remark, but it could be quite possible that i will not care for the horn. Wont know till i try right? Baby steps :)

Deronb1,

The important thing in what you just said is that you do try :) Until then, you will never know :)

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

I think a lot of fear of horns is from other manufacturers talking smack about being honky and shrill.

A properly set up horn is not honky or shrill at all. There's a lot of misinformation about horns - best way is to listen to a proper set up

I personally think that a lot of the smack talked against horns is from no personal experience with good horn speakers and especially cheap horn speakers that are paired with direct radiators! It seems that there are a lot of me too speakers in that horn/direct radiator category!

Would somebody please post some nice pictures of some nice looking Herey's with dimensions for this guy?

Thanks...  Roger

• Like 1

Im gonna catch it for this remark, but it could be quite possible that i will not care for the horn.

You will hate them if you don't like accurate...and many don't like accurate.  Consider the "musha/mush/fump/whump" hear coming from many cars.  Eeeuuuu... 

People aren't used to accurate any more as most pop is manufactured to "sound good" on these nasty systems. 

I prefer pure water, pure whisky, pure sound, and pure women

Dave

• Like 5

I think a lot of fear of horns is from other manufacturers talking smack about being honky and shrill.

A properly set up horn is not honky or shrill at all. There's a lot of misinformation about horns - best way is to listen to a proper set up

... and, they have to be set up properly!  In the case of the Klipschorn, it needs to be pushed tightly into a corner (either a real corner or an artificial one) with about 4 feet of unobstructed wall space on either side, a rug on the floor, and a higher than usual ceiling (e.g., 8.5 feet or higher, higher is probably better).  A few people have gotten away with lower ceilings, some with ceiling treatments.  At least the OP has a high ceiling.

Whenever a dealer, or a manufacturer "talks smack" about fully horn loaded speakers, it is good to ask them when they last heard a pair, and where, and under what circumstances.  Some have never heard them!  I've seen Khorns on display with entirely the wrong set-up, like with an open door next to one, or even a pair on a balcony, facing away from the thin metal rail, with about 30 feet of empty space behind them, as well as about 12 feet below them to the rear!

Edited by garyrc

Hi and a big welcome! BS speakers can be phenomenal and you don't have to leap over the cliff without a parachute. Pick a budget $300-$500 and start your search, a pair of RB5's for 200-300, a steal on a set of heresy's or KP250's 200-400, if you find a pair of RB75's and they are within your budget, great and buy them and listen and then you will choose your path from there. Personally, a cheap pair of 5's will give you a good listen to Klipsch sound, not all the different variants, but a certain sound and attention to detail, that can be found throughout many of the speakers, from the first to current offerings. If you stick to a budget and get some guidance through the forum regarding "fair price", if you don't like what you hear, no harm and no foul and you can sell them and move on. There are many passionate people on the forum that will try and funnel you down a certain path, but it's your path and your experience so do it your way and life will be good. I'm also in Ohio, Canton area and you are more than welcome to listen to anything I have. Again, welcome.

• Like 1

Thanks Pete. Im anxious to hear the RB 5s. I enjoyed the fun of moddimg my Polk rta 8ts snd then having a pro mod a pair of sda 2Bs. Upgrading caps and tweets do make a difference, but you never get back in a sale. I chalk it up to the cost of the hobby. A member here is giving me good price on the 5s, so off to a good start. I know a guy who lives in Jackson. Served in the Army with him.

Welcome to the forum. Both those speakers have great reputations, the RB-75 is on the "most wanted" list for a lot of people.

If you get a chance, post pictures. We love pictures around here. B)

attachicon.gifIMG_3824.JPG

That speaker on the left is very familiar to me.have you done any mods to it?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk