Need A Receiver Recommendation To Complement My Klipsch Gear

erwincm

Hi guys. I'm building a new home theater system which will be used primarily for watching movies & football games. I was gifted the following equipment line-up except for the R-5800s which I recently purchased:

• 2X Klipsch KG5.5 Floorstanding Speakers
  • 2X Klipsch R-5800-W II in-wall Speakers
  • Klipsch KV2 Center Channel Speaker
  • Klipsch SW10-II Subwoofer
  • Harmon Kardon AVR65 Receiver

My question is whether or not the Harmon Kardon AVR65 is an adequate receiver for me gear? If not, would you guys recommend another receiver with good performance, clarity, and reasonable price? I'd really like to keep my new receiver cost below $350 if possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Charles Erwin

Madison, AL

The HK you have was apparently well liked in its time for sound quality.  There are more bells and whistles on the newer models, but unless you listen to your system and something doesn't sound good I would not update at this time.

I would also not use those in-walls as surrounds.  With all the fancy 5.1, 7.1, 9.1 and Atmos setups grabbing all the glory, I think you have got a fantastic TV setup in 3.1 with the speakers and AVR you have now.

I suggest you set up in 3.1 and get some further help from the Klipschites here on how to properly set up your speakers for your TV room and find the proper cross over points via the AVR.  Room setup can be as much as 50% of how well your speakers can sound.  Posting some pictures of your theater room would help us give you some advice.

+++

Oh yeah, and welcome to the Klipsch Forum.  You have come to the right place.  B)

Edited by wvu80

^ Second.

The KG 5.5's from what I've seen are well respected. The SW-10 II according to my ears anyway, is no slouch. If you're itching at spending money, the only thing I might touch is the KV-2 center. A good 3.1 can best a mediocre 5.1 any day of the week IMO.

ETA: Many still use older HT receivers in their configuration. I used an RX-V2500 that did not have the latest bells and whistles either for the longest time and got by until this year when the opportunity arose for an upgrade (as I did want the HD sound profiles). If it's not broke to your ears, it doesn't need to be fixed.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 2

I agree with Ibiza, replace the center speaker first. If you up the ante in the middle it will improve the sound of the entire system and soundstage. There are a ton of receivers out there that you can pick up, make sure the quality in your next receiver is future proof. If you are looking for 7.1, Atmos or whatever, spend the money up front and get that now. No use in having to replace a subpar receiver in another year or two.

Tim

Edited by teaman
  • Like 1

With a current budget of $350,  I would keep your HK for now.  I'm assuming at some point 4k and HDMI will come into play in your set up.  There is no future proofing so your best option is to wait as long as you can until your needs dictate that it's time to buy.   I just bought a used Denon (2113ci) for $175 that fits my current needs HDMI, 7.1.  I looked at buying a new flagship model but I'll wait a couple years until 4k and HDMI bugs are cleaned up a little better, and the cost hopefully comes down.

Nice system to get gifted to you, enjoy!  I'm a huge fan of older HK, and a hater of any HK with HDMI