F-20 Amplification

Pete H

Gathering up all the parts and materials to build 2 F-20's, BB plywood is in the shop, ordered the Dayton drivers, T-Bolts and connectors today and I need to get the amps.  I have an inuke 1000 that was purchased for my spud and works fine for that and they can be had for $150, all over the place right now, but is there a plate amp application that might be a better choice, or another amp?  Just looking for input from all of you that have built this or other horned subs.  I'm building one of them for a friend and the idea of a plate amp for him really works from a simplicity standpoint, one less piece of equipment to program (dials and a phase switch) and he would have the ability to go into the plate amp and out to his RF 35's, if he choose to use the amp for his crossover to the 35's.  A $100, one way or another, really doesn't matter in the scope of this project, but getting the amps ordered does, because I want to knock these out over the holidays, which shouldn't be any problem if I have all the parts. I'm not looking for theory's, just practical input from the numerous builds and applications from this group. :emotion-22:  

Thanks in advance guys!

Edited by Pete H

Just noticed two.  If in the same room, I am not sure I'd want to be there.  When I cranked mine in test with 32' pipe organ we feared for the windows in the entire house. 

Dave

I'm not going to be running 2, just building 2 simultaneously, building one for a friend. what are you powering yours with?

I am using a Bash 300 watt plate amp and it works well, I would think the INuke would work great as well, might want a second 1000 since you will be running two.

Right now, that's the same price as the inuke at $150.00. Where did you mount that? Cut into the box or did you build a housing for it externally?

i had a 500w oAudio plate amp hooked up and it died about 6 months ago. I didn't have the cash to replace it, so I've been using a single channel of an Emotiva Mini-X A-100 (80 amps into 4 ohms). It might choke if I go to "impress new guests" volumes, but it has been plenty sufficient for daily usage at moderate to loud movie levels.

i had a 500w oAudio plate amp hooked up and it died about 6 months ago. I didn't have the cash to replace it, so I've been using a single channel of an Emotiva Mini-X A-100 (80 amps into 4 ohms). It might choke if I go to "impress new guests" volumes, but it has been plenty sufficient for daily usage at moderate to loud movie levels.

Carl told me about that amp a while ago but I couldn't find a lot of reviews regarding longevity, but I have to consider yours when making this decision.

I had two Bash's release the magic smoke and give up.  Seems like they either last forever or die within months.  As I was on the latter side of that equation I gave it up.

Dave

Part of this equation is reliability, I can buy the inuke and the Bash 300watt for the same price of $150, but if more money (within reason) buys me better reliability, then I'm absolutely willing to do that. I would rather spend $300 for longevity then think I got a deal at $150 which is why I thought the thread was relevant, since there have been many horned sub builds on the forum for at least 4 years.

As an iNuke user, IMO it only makes sense in a residential setting if you're getting it for its DSP; without that it's just an ugly pro amp that needs adapters to use with most consumer gear, and as a bonus it comes with a horrible orange LCD display and a noisy fan.  A plate amp or any old Adcom you get for cheap will do just as well without the fan noise, adapter hassles, and fan issues.

Having said that, the DSP is worth the effort.

I am using a Bash 300 watt plate amp and it works well, I would think the INuke would work great as well, might want a second 1000 since you will be running two.

Right now, that's the same price as the inuke at $150.00. Where did you mount that? Cut into the box or did you build a housing for it externally?

I built an external box for each amp.

I really have been intrigued with the dsp versions of the Behringer amps. I think I would go that route (3000 DSP) for my pair of I were to do it all over again.

I've had a BASH 300 on my back patio dual driver table tuba for several years (outdoors).  Never a hick up.  My son has a Bash 500 on his dual driver Legend clone I built for him which he runs really hard.  Not an issue there either.  I agree though, if you get a bad  one, it'll show up immediately or at least while it's under warranty.  If not, it'll go for a while.