I Miss Radio Shack

MyOwn

I never knew there was a Miss Radio Shack. Now I miss her too.

i'm sure you couldn't resistor...

We have a Radio Shack about ten minutes from us. The manager is pretty knowledgeable, too.

Bruce

I never knew there was a Miss Radio Shack. Now I miss her too.

i'm sure you couldn't resistor...

We have a Radio Shack about ten minutes from us. The manager is pretty knowledgeable, too.

Bruce

Perhaps he meant Miss Philippines.   Now you'll get ohm sick.

Nicely played...

Bruce

• Like 1

The rat shack near me (about 3 miles) has kept the pull out drawer cabinets with resistors, caps, switches, connectors, etc.  Also, they have a good variety of tools and supplies (solder irons, multi meters, etc.).  Before the bankruptcy, they had 5 or 6 cell phone carriers to choose from, now it is only Sprint (actually Sprint is leasing part of the store and a Sprint employee is working that part).

The manager told me that they were getting back to their roots by carrying supplies for electronics hobbyists and do it yourselfers.  When I was there, he received a large shipment of various parts to restock his shelves.  I hope he is successful.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll seriously miss the ability to dash out to Radio Shack to get bits like the 9 volt connectors I needed to finish costumes needed for a convention.  Sure I had to buy 5, when I needed only 3, but for $2.99, the convenience was priceless.

From the attached  photos, can you guess the theme of the convention?  Three of us will go.  Each will wear one of the Ms around his/her neck.

post-6832-0-39300000-1453595524_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-24260000-1453595540_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-81460000-1453595553_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

My shack is two blocks away. The Sprint conversion is complete with about half the store dedicated to that. The RS side has freshly stocked cabinets bursting with retail bits. That's good. They also seek arduino kits, and a decent array of wire and cable good enough for small projects. So, at least for now, it's an improvement.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I always thought it was sad over the years they sold less and less diy electrical stuff. In Minnesota they have this store called the axeman which is a surplus supply, they have millions of electric parts sorted in bins, its so insane you get dizzy walking the isles, my max is about ten minutes before I get uncomfortable. I have watched people collect parts for tube amps based on the tubes they have in stock, which is usually a few thousand.

We still have one in my area but it doesn't carry much useful stuff any more. Seems to be catering to cell phone users. Fortunately Parts Express is 20 minutes up the road.

So does Parts Express have a show room or like a store front???

They would be my friends :D

MKP :-)

PE does have a retail store attached to the warehouse. A bit of a hole in the wall but still everything's available that is in the catalog. For bigger stuff you tell them what you want and they go get it out of the warehouse.

P.E. also has returned items that are heavily discounted.  I bought a returned subwoofer there yesterday for $75 - hadn't even been opened, just shipped to a customer and returned.  I think P.E. is awesome.  They have Audiofest every year in July in the parking lot; I enjoyed that a lot last year and picked up a Pioneer SX-780!

I miss Radio Shack too! However, the stores have been a Radio Shack lite for 15-20 years now. I guess they tried to change and appeal to a broader customer base, but it still didn't work. I'm fortunate that there are a few electronic parts stores in DFW.