What is a good starter Tube Amp?

Bossman

Bossman,

The wattage Maynard is showing in that amp will be more than enough. My Yaqin doesn't go more than 12 o clock as it hurts my ears and shakes everything. Tube wattage is totally different than SS wattage. I guess one way to compare is to double the wattage in your head with tubes when comparing to SS. It's not accurate but will give a somewhat idea. So my Yaqin is like putting out 80+ watts per channel and doesn't go above 12 o clock due to loudness.

PWK had a write up saying all he needed was a good 5 watt amp for his speakers to blare. Until you have used a tube amp with that type of wattage, you won't comprehend it. I know I didn't. I don't mean it in a bad way either.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right now there is a Miniwatt N3, 2x EL84 power tubes, 3.5 watts == $150.00. Owned one years ago driving Belles and Cornwalls. Crazy good for $299 retail, ridiculous for $150. If memory serves I believe they use a switching power supply and EL 84 are a wonderful tube. I really prefer more power but it plays a Big 3.5 watts. It is a steal.

Interesting had a Miniwatt here for a while while it was not bad, it was not as good as another Cheapy the Aria Mengyue 6P1 Mini amp at less than $150.

the Meng has the edge, it is 3 dimensional, better bass and more detail.  The Miniwatt fell short in these respects by an obvious margin..

Plus it had much more drive and oomph

Have had it for 5 years without any hassles fitted some Russian power tubes that's all, cost next to nothing.

That amp got me keen on valves now all my stuff is valve. Use it now as a headphone amp feed by My Audio Research Pre.  Can be used as a power amp plug in the pre turn the volume up and off you go.  It has driven every speaker I have thrown at it from Kef reference 2's, B&W 805's, Wharfedale Diamonds to my Vandersteen 2's loud enough without distortion to get the Cops in.

Has no problems on my KG4's where the Mini watt battled a bit in comparison.  Miniwatt would make a good desk top amp, just to gutless to make it fun on real world speakers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ANY PROS OR CONS ON ARIES 845  MONO BLOCKS ?

Pro: 22 watts of SE goodness, you'll probably never want for more.

Con: price.  Getting them on the used market by chance?  Also, tube cost could add up (I have no idea how much 845 tubes go for).

looking to enter relm of se mono blocks, looking at dehavalind aries-845's also some highly efficent speakers, any advise as to a starting point in the klipsch line this my entry into horns also. what can i expect ?

Entering the tube realm with DeHavalind 845's?  That's a bold entry.  Got corners?  Or room for Jubilees?  Might as well start at the top of the line and work your way down.

Ive been using a Music Angel as you can see in my signature block. Its a KT88 integrated and has plenty of power with 40wpc in triode and 70wpc in UL. Driving my Lascalas I can melt paint. Ive been using it for 3 years now and its been a fantastic amp. I totally love it and it was just $500 shipped when I bought it.

The amp to the left is the integrated,it's the Yaqin MC-10L. There are a bunch of forums for the Yaqins, this one also.They talk about upgrades and tubes to get the best oout of this amp and it has very good reviews on it. Derrickdj on here also has a Yaqin hybrid I think. The amp to the right is the Aiqin Audio (Douk Audio) which has different variations of it. I purchased it last year for Christmas, and literally got it back yesterday after sending it out for upgrades.

The reason I said to let someone else build if you aren't that good with this type of work is because the schematics call for it to be wired in triode and pentode mode at the same time.But it doesn't have a switch to go back and forth in those modes. So I had mine rewired in triode mode only and had new caps and resistors done.JP also spoke with Maynard and they agreed that some rewiring was needed. This is the finished product playing right now with my turntable hooked into it.

attachicon.gifamps.jpg

i like those amps Jim. thanks for the photo.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

Yeah, I never understood the hate for Chinese-sourced audio products when so much of what we use each day (not just consumer electronics either) is made in China.  Unfortunately Jolida is no longer an "entry level" brand but plenty of their (Chinese-made) products are out there on the used market.  I've owned a JD302 and a JD502 and was always curious about their hybrid integrateds.  Well I scored one a few weeks ago - a JD1701A - and I am simply stunned by how good it is.  It's got a pair of 12AX7s ahead of a pair of MOSFETS pushing 50wpc.  In the bass, it whoops the all-tube Jolidas and sounds more like a 100 watt amp.  And I only paid $300 for it.

Bottom line: don't dismiss Chinese amps.  Keep your ears open when shopping for a tube amp, you might fall in love with a hybrid!

The stuff is hated because its exactly what has lowered our stardard of living in this country and lost millions of jobs in the US over tha last few decades.

US consumers demand...pay me big bucks for what I do but I want to buy everything cheap as possible..,,,,formula for economic disaster. Of course the governments trade agreements sure doesn't help matters.

End rant....

• Like 4

Craig I agree with your statement, but part of us wanting cheaper priced stuff is because the US worker is still earning wages comparable to the 60's.

I work for myself and at times have to struggle in my slow time of the year,which is now until April. My biggest issue is I can't work for someone else due to me being a big A-Hole at times,especially when having to take orders from someone less experienced than I am. So I have to work on my own, pay my own healthcare etc like many do.

If it weren't for the cheaper priced/made amps out of China, I wouldn't have been able to get into tubes at all. Having done that, and hearing the different types out there has given me a "goal" per say to get better amps as I go.

As per the jobs lost, that's not our fault as consumers, it's the elected officials faults for making these agreements and giving big corp the rocks to hide under when it comes to taxes. It doesn't help either when all these cuts made in local/state/US budgets on school funding are put into place and we argue about giving a burger flipper $15.00 hr but can't pay teachers better,or have better quality schools because every politicians hand is in the kitty taking those funds earmarked for school or other funds. It's our fault as voters for consistently voting the same crooks back into office, and it's our fault for not educating our young in how to do the same thing.

Also, these Chinese amps out here when purchased can be upgraded with the circuit, caps, resistors, and wiring by guys like you, so in the end the business can still funnel to you, or companies like tool shed amps, or Justin or someone who tinkers like JP. I'm sure if someone asked any of you, you wouldn't turn down the offer to do the work in upgrades and down the line have an open line of communication for us to upgrade top one of your amps when we are financially ready to do so. It also gives us something to compare to when owning one of the "lessor" amps.

• Like 2

There are people that still like them and they are holding their value well. Personal I feel a better tube amp can be found for what it cost to bring an old ST70 back to life or purchase a new clone. I've heard people swear by them and others saying that they did not sound that good in their day. But you can find people that say the same about any amp or speaker. Some people even go as far as saying they do not like Klipsch speakers. 

The Chinese amps are building a loyal following and you cannot beat the price. If you are afraid of Chinese goods remember your the Iphone is made in China. 

iphones are made by the millions and for a VERY demanding customer while Chinese amps can be made like crap when they want to maximize profits they will cut every crappy corner god ever made. Not saying you cannot get a good Chinese amp just that very many kits especially are  a wast of time and money so far as quality of parts go garbage wire super cheap (for China) everything else.

why not skip the starter bs and save up a few dollars more then buy a very good known commodity, no matter where it is built. No one was ever sorry that they bought a top quality anything.

• Like 1

So tell us Moray and NOSValves, where was your phone made?  Where was your car made?  Where were your clothes made?  Where was your TV made?  Where did that apple come from that you had with your lunch?  How about the banana you ate for breakfast?  Can you tell me where the shoes that are on your feet were assembled?  You probably can't.  But that's OK.  We live in a GLOBAL ECONOMY and there is no going back.  If you shop at Wal-Mart, or Target, or Amazon then you are also part of the "problem" and have no right to criticize my or anyone else's choice of Asian electronics.

Yes, it would be nirvana if we all could afford to own the finest American-made electronics like (MacIntosh, Audio Research, Krell, Rogue, et al) to power our fine American-made Klipsch speakers (well, mostly American-made, that is).

But like Jim pointed out, wage growth for the middle class has been stagnant for nearly two generations.  My wife and I both work our asses off to live somewhat comfortably and I still consider (Chinese) Jolida amplifers to be just barely within my reach.  Used ones, that is, forget about me buying anything new from Jolida, it's just too freakin' expensive now!

"Buy USA" is a great sentiment...in theory.  Good luck finding a US-made CD player that you can afford.  Good luck finding a US-made turntable (or phono cartridge or phono preamplifier) that won't max out your credit card.

So tell us Moray and NOSValves, where was your phone made?  Where was your car made?  Where were your clothes made?  Where was your TV made?  Where did that apple come from that you had with your lunch?  How about the banana you ate for breakfast?  Can you tell me where the shoes that are on your feet were assembled?  You probably can't.  But that's OK.  We live in a GLOBAL ECONOMY and there is no going back.  If you shop at Wal-Mart, or Target, or Amazon then you are also part of the "problem" and have no right to criticize my or anyone else's choice of Asian electronics.

Yes, it would be nirvana if we all could afford to own the finest American-made electronics like (MacIntosh, Audio Research, Krell, Rogue, et al) to power our fine American-made Klipsch speakers (well, mostly American-made, that is).

But like Jim pointed out, wage growth for the middle class has been stagnant for nearly two generations.  My wife and I both work our asses off to live somewhat comfortably and I still consider (Chinese) Jolida amplifers to be just barely within my reach.  Used ones, that is, forget about me buying anything new from Jolida, it's just too freakin' expensive now!

"Buy USA" is a great sentiment...in theory.  Good luck finding a US-made CD player that you can afford.  Good luck finding a US-made turntable (or phono cartridge or phono preamplifier) that won't max out your credit card.

I guess that you did not read my post. Lots of good stuff in China but their cheap stuff is the cheap of the cheap. I was in no way criticizing your choices buy whatever you want. The point was to say that there is good gear to purchase everywhere ad there is crap that applies to China too China too. So the moral is buy good stuff not crap that you will have a hard time to give away later that is not money well spent.

There are plenty of good deals at home if you know what to look for. A 3020 Nat or the pint size Creek amps sound very good used for very little. If you are so inclined you might consider learning how to DIY and get into some quality of gear you could never hope to buy. That is exactly where I was when I started and that is what I did and it worked out for me. That may or may not work for you but it is an option for some. Other ultra fine amplifiers that go under the radar because they are not sexy at made by Quad the 303 the 405 the 306 and the 606 are all amazingly good current dumping amplifiers. One of the best amp designs of the last 60 years and probably the most copied and ripped off design of all time. You can find them for cheap. You can buy a Hafler DH200 or DH220 same amp and rebuild it into world class performer for a fraction of the cost of some high end piece of work with a thick face plate. You can build a chip amp for very little, Jeff Roland does and puts them into mega dollar cases and charges an arm an a leg. I don't see what your problem is. If you buy using your ears and not your eyes a world of quality audio is all around you. You can buy dead mosfet amps all day long for peanuts the output stages almost never blow up (I have only ever seen two destroyed since the early 1980's) like transistor amps do and you can repair them or have them repaired and or rebuilt or upgrade later when you have saved enough or do upgrades in stages to spread the impact on your budget out over years. It is all about spending you money well in the first place and not buying with the intent to throw away later. It is exactly the "this will do for now" mentality that eats up peoples savings.

I am trying to be helpful here take it as you will. You can make a plan and work the plan and if it is a sound plan it will get you to where you want to be.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought the Dynaco Output transformers were considered very good.  Lots of mods and upgrades around for them too. Easy to work on etc.

ST70's are not really too expensive from what I see on Ebay.  I have seen and heard a few Chinese Trannys that I thought were horrid.  I know they can make it to a price point, but then its expensive too for a really good one. .