What is a good starter Tube Amp?

Bossman

I bought a ST70 several years for $320 and spent about that in mods I see them going for $700 now then you throw in the mods now your over 1k just not worth it IMHO. There was a older VAC PA100 on A-gon about a week ago under 1K there are deal out there if your willing to wait for them. 

Craig I agree with your statement, but part of us wanting cheaper priced stuff is because the US worker is still earning wages comparable to the 60's.

I work for myself and at times have to struggle in my slow time of the year,which is now until April. My biggest issue is I can't work for someone else due to me being a big A-Hole at times,especially when having to take orders from someone less experienced than I am. So I have to work on my own, pay my own healthcare etc like many do.

If it weren't for the cheaper priced/made amps out of China, I wouldn't have been able to get into tubes at all. Having done that, and hearing the different types out there has given me a "goal" per say to get better amps as I go.

As per the jobs lost, that's not our fault as consumers, it's the elected officials faults for making these agreements and giving big corp the rocks to hide under when it comes to taxes. It doesn't help either when all these cuts made in local/state/US budgets on school funding are put into place and we argue about giving a burger flipper $15.00 hr but can't pay teachers better,or have better quality schools because every politicians hand is in the kitty taking those funds earmarked for school or other funds. It's our fault as voters for consistently voting the same crooks back into office, and it's our fault for not educating our young in how to do the same thing.

Also, these Chinese amps out here when purchased can be upgraded with the circuit, caps, resistors, and wiring by guys like you, so in the end the business can still funnel to you, or companies like tool shed amps, or Justin or someone who tinkers like JP. I'm sure if someone asked any of you, you wouldn't turn down the offer to do the work in upgrades and down the line have an open line of communication for us to upgrade top one of your amps when we are financially ready to do so. It also gives us something to compare to when owning one of the "lessor" amps.

Typical blame someone else mentality... We reach in our wallets and pull the trigger on the purchase and have for decades. In the 70's the government and unions tried to stop the inevitable with the massive "buy made in the USA" Campaign... How we all forget! Now it's too late for many goods it's nearly impossible to buy USA made products. But good old tube audio is not one of them.

• Like 2

Nothing better than a HH Scott phono section in their tube integrated. As far as made in the USA. VPI makes a good entry-level table. Grado and Soundsmith makes cartridges. B&k, Conrad Johnson and Audio Research used equipment can be found if you are patient.

Not made in the USA but my UK made J A Michell turntable cost me $ 700 13 years ago and has only needed one belt. Simplistically $ 55 a year for a great thirty year old vintage TT.

It can be done.

I say a good el84 push pull either built from scratch or an older one rebuilt.  

agree, I got 2 of this marvelous el84 PP and letting go of the other 1 just because of the wife  :D

Cris, which EL84 amps did you buy and why did you decide to stay with one vs. the other?  Also, I saw you listed your Scott amp in the Garage Sale section recently.  What was it about it that you didn't like?  Any information you can provide can be useful to others who are contemplating getting into tubes!

Maynard

Maynard, I bought 3 amps and need to unload. 2 tube PP amps and 1 solid state. And the other tube PP just arrived hence I haven't listen to them side by side. I posted the scott based on the order I got the amps. As of now no preference yet but having 5 amps (3 new and 2 old to me) in the house now is just crazy (so she said).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I say a good el84 push pull either built from scratch or an older one rebuilt.  

agree, I got 2 of this marvelous el84 PP and letting go of the other 1 just because of the wife  :D

The best starter amp is one that can heard, but not seen, by Ms. Query. Seems you got caught.  :)

• 7 months later...

I just wanted to say thanks to all the members who gave me advice on this topic! So after a couple of months I finally decided to pull the trigger on a tube amp. I went with Jim's suggestion in particular and chose a variant of a Aiqin Audio (Douk Audio) EL34 single ended triode SET amp. It uses a 5Z3P Rectifier tube, 2 6N9P Preamp tubes and 2 EL34 Power tubes and is good for 12 wpc in default mode and 8 wpc in triode mode?. I have the amp currently hooked up to a pair of Cornscalas and wow this thing sounds NICE! Being my first tube amp, I am truly impressed with the sound quality. I can now fully understand the synergy between Klipsch speakers and SET amps. Huge soundstage, great depth, width and height with an abundance of realism. 

Here is the amp I purchased http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-EL34-Single-ended-Class-A-Stereo-Tube-Amplifier-Rectifier-HIFI-AMP/281312152025?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D39825%26meid%3D3826de3136f74c9d8ffec2f22b77455a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271612287363

That seems like a fantastic deal... 

I had been looking at this build by that same seller because its the way I would do it if I had the skill sets to build a custom amp:

s-l1600.jpg

Then I read  a lot of negative feedback on some of the transactions and made my decision to go with american made...

22 hours ago, Schu said:

I think I have decided on a Dennis Had "Hotrod" inspire amp even though I really wanted monoblocks.

Does Dennis offer a return option if you are not satisfied with his products?  I ask because synergy between the amp and speakers can be very critical.  Many factors come into play which can affect the resultant sound, so there's no way to predict what will happen until you hear the amp in your own system.  What about those other amps?  Are they returnable?

Maynard

I'm all ears if you have  proposal Mr maynard... I think I would be stuck with either purchase, though I have heard that Dennis had has in the past taken the amp back.

Frankly, I can not see much of an issue with LSII'S and a zero feedback pre amp and amp combination.

Are you building customer amps that use point to point design (

Thanks for asking, but I'm only doing custom builds locally where I have access to the systems in which the amps will be used.  With your LSIIs, power certainly is of no concern (I recently sent a low power SET to a forum member to use with his LSs, and he said the power output is enough to create extremely loud listening levels), so I would consider either of these:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CKCS.html

Both can be directly driven by your source, so a preamp is unnecessary.  And, in my opinion, the less electronics in the signal path, the better.  More electronics can only crap up the sound.

Between the lifetime warranty to the original owner, and the 30 day return option, you can't lose (and they are point to point wired/made in the US).  I have never read anything negative about Decware amps, and it's rare to see them come up on the used market (I ought to ask Deckert for a commission given how often I recommend his stuff!). 

Maynard

• Like 1