Which K700 - Heavy vs Light?

tagger

I opened up my Heresy I center channel to recap it, and while I was in there I realized the K700 horn is the lighter cast metal version.  I happen to have a spare older heavy cast version, and was wondering if I should replace it to match the Heresies I'm using for L - R.  Is there a consensus as to which is the superior sounding K700?  I've heard that the newer molded plastic horns sound better (or at least are more consistent), but I'm not sure about the heavy vs light metal cast K700 horns.

take a look at the throats of the horns that you have on hand. The horn that has the most perfect round opening is the horn that will have the lowest distortion. All of the cast metal K700 that I have owned and or seen in person are junk. The K701 resin horns are in my experience vastly superior to any of the cast metal K700 I have seen. The throat along with the following couple of inches of horn is THE most critical part of any horn and has the greatest impact upon sound quality. Make sure you have a proper fitting horn to driver gasket and that it is not over compressed. The transition between driver and horn should be totally smooth and flawless. Hope that helps. Best regards moray james.

• Like 1

You bet a good set of files and a steady hand can make a big difference I hace filed out a pair of cast metal K700 and made a big improvement. Be careful you want it to be perfectly round and the same size as the exit of the driver. The plastic resin horns(K701)not only have a more round throat but the throat is more symmetrical and balanced. I would recommend that you find a set of K701 they don't cost a lot used. Best regards moray james.

I checked both horns, and the lighter horn was much closer to perfectly round.  I also noted that both had plenty of flashing that needed to be removed.  A small half round file took care of it.  The gasket also needed the inside diameter to be widened since it stuck out into the horn once the driver was tightened down.  All looks clean now.  Thanks for the heads up!

YOU CAN READ THIS THREAD - there are 3 K700 horns and the later  thinner ones are the best with 8 mounting holes -as they fit tighter in the cabinet  and have the roundest openings -

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/152953-are-there-2-types-of-metal-horns-for-heresy-cabinets/

the k701 is really good but you will need an adapter to screw on the driver K55V as it is made for the K53 driver that is a bolt on -

you can mount the k701  it from the rear as it has the lower rounded lip in the center - the k701  was used in Heresy 1 - 2 -3   and even the Cornwall 3 -I have the k 701 plastic horn and the K700 thinner horn with the 8 holes and it is the one I really like the most with the K55V - however I prefer the k701 for the k53 -

Edited by Randyh