*wanted* K-400 horn lens

Matthews

Don't the older ones ring less?

all the K400 horns ring - as do the tweeter k77 -T35-T350 metal horn -and it was definitely more costly for PWK to purchase a metal horn - versus a plastic unit -

-so did PWK actually prefer the ringing tone of the K400 - it sure seems like it -

PWK was still around when the metal K400 was replaced with the K401 fiberglass horn (1987?) .  So I infer that he was O.K. with it being replaced.  Also, he claimed that the K400 metal didn't ring if the flange was screwed down properly.  I'm aware that some here have coated their K400s with something to damp them down.

I replaced my metal K400s with fiberglass K401s about 10 years ago.  At the time the Klipsch customer service people said that the fiberglass K401s had "a little less distortion."  They seem braced well on their outer surfaces (the horns, not the customer service people).

I never could be sure that I heard a difference.

• Like 1

all the K400 horns ring - as do the tweeter k77 -T35-T350 metal horn -and it was definitely more costly for PWK to purchase a metal horn - versus a plastic unit -

-so did PWK actually prefer the ringing tone of the K400 - it sure seems like it -

I at least for one, most certainly prefer the sound of the K-400 over the K-401

Roger

PWK was still around when the metal K400 was replaced with the K401 fiberglass horn (1987?) .  So I infer that he was O.K. with it being replaced.  Also, he claimed that the K400 metal didn't ring if the flange was screwed down properly.  I'm aware that some here have coated their K400s with something to damp them down.

I replaced my metal K400s with fiberglass K401s about 10 years ago.  At the time the Klipsch customer service people said that the fiberglass K401s had "a little less distortion."  They seem braced well on their outer surfaces (the horns, not the customer service people).

100% - right on -

Not so fast!

My brother in Laws 1989s have metal K-400s in them! :)

Roger

• Like 1

Interesting! What did you prefer in the K400 vs K401? I have K400 in my 87 Khorns.

The midrange is where we live, and for me, it comes down to voicing.

I however having had many LaScalas and Klipschorns with both horns and experience with many more have never experienced ringing, and I also prefer a modified Tractrix design over the older horns.

:)   Roger

• Like 1

100% - right on -

Not so fast!

Roger

Were they Klipschorns or La Scalas?  Maybe they phased (no pun intended) the K401s in over time, to get rid of any metal ones they had.  Somewhere there is a Klipschorn chronology, which is where I think I got the 1987 date.  Or not.

EDIT:  Google Klipschorn History, and click on Klipschorn Timeline, part way down.  It looks like they introduced it in November.   They mention slightly lower distortion.  Just saying.  PWK lived until 2002, although he probably became a lot less active toward the end.  He even had to give up flying his own plane.  He visited the S.F. Bay Area, touring stereo stores, at 80 something, so he was probably on the payroll then.  I doubt if they would have made any changes in his baby without his consent.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 2

100% - right on -

Not so fast!

Roger

Were they Klipschorns or La Scalas?  Maybe they phased (no pun intended) the K401s in over time, to get rid of any metal ones they had.  Somewhere there is a Klipschorn chronology, which is where I think I got the 1987 date.  Or not.

EDIT:  Google Klipschorn History, and click on Klipschorn Timeline, part way down.  It looks like they introduced it in November.   They mention slightly lower distortion.  Just saying.  PWK lived until 2002, although he probably became a lot less active toward the end.  He even had to give up flying his own plane.  He visited the S.F. Bay Area, touring stereo stores, at 80 something, so he was probably on the payroll then.  I doubt if they would have made any changes in his baby without his consent.

Gary,

He is the second owner and they are Klipschorns. The original owner was very wealthy from the eBay photos of her home displaying the speakers. She ordered them in Red Oak with a pickled finish which is a nice way of saying they have a kind of faded out white wash finish over Red Oak.

Roger

So you are looking for a K-400 now eh? You are aware i GAVE a pair away for shipping just two months ago right?

The Homer "DOH!!!"  :blink:

I had to look them up, yep, these would have no doubt worked for you eh?

Of course they came W/Drivers :rolleyes:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/158215-k400-drivershornspair-forum-members-only/?hl=k400

• Like 1