Help me choose a new avr / 4K help

RickyClev34

4K has my head spinning and I need some advice.

I currently own a 7500 model Samsung 65" 4K tv , a pair of RF-7's , RC-7, RS-7's, and a Sony STR 1050. I had a pair of RB-61ii's and RC-52ii before upgrading to the 7 series. Those speakers are now in me bedroom with no avr. I figured why not upgrade the Sony and move it to my room. I have been shopping around and have it narrowed down between the Denon X4000, x4100, 4520ci, and the Marantz 7008.

My issue is the whole 4K thing. Picture is as important to me as sound and I know none of the above models have HDCP2.2. They all have some sort of up scaling but from my understanding it won't be true 4K without the HDCP2.2. An easy solution would be to pick up the x3200 but I really want Audyssey 32 due to an odd shaped living room. I have very high ceilings in a living room that opens up into a dining room which opens up into a kitchen.

I'm confused how the above models say they can upgrade to 4K but don't have the HDCP. I just want to optimize my picture and take advantage of all my tv has to offer. Something else that confuses me is that my tv says it has upscale capabilities so would I benifit by just hooking devices directly to the tv then use ARC for audio ?

I've been browsing at A4L and my price range is around $800 and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get all the features I need for that price point. I guess I could always buy a 150-300 avr for my room and upgrade my living room in the future but it's had to pass up an excuse to upgrade the main system lol.

P.s. I just purchased the RF-7's which are in great shape for $800 from a CL seller in Indianapolis. He also had a RSW-15 that he said he would sell for $350. I did not see the condition of the sub when I was there as I plan on a build in the near future. I have no affiliation with the seller just figured this could help someone out. Just a heads up his house is VERY cluttered. I just don't want a potential buyer to be as shocked as I was. Here's the CL link. http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/ele/5315273436.html

Edited by RickyClev34

Check this - they were $999 before the holidays.  Now $1099.

Fully 2.2 compliant, audyssey platinum, wi-fi, bluetooth, airplay, etc, etc, etc.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4200w/denon-avr-x4200w-7.2-atmos-full-4k-ultra-hd-a/v-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

Please correct me if I am incorrect………….

Upscaling is different than HDCP 2.2.   HDCP 2.2 is a new format that will protect content from being copied and can be best thought of as a handshake / communication format between individual components.  You can still upscale without it, as very few releases have the encryption protection as this point.  

$350 for that sub in good working condition - is quite a deal.  They don't come up often.

Edited by Arrow#422
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Agree it's a great deal! I just thought I could get more bang for the buck (pun intended) with the Daytona Ultimax 15" build.

I'm not sure as I've never heard the Dayton subs myself.  All I know is I had a pair of Velodyne HGS15's and a single Klipsch RSW-15 sounded better and hit harder than the pair of HGS15's.  Here is my Klipsch RSW-15 vs Velodyne HGS15 Comparison thread.

• Like 2

Agree it's a great deal! I just thought I could get more bang for the buck (pun intended) with the Daytona Ultimax 15" build. I can't swing the $1,100 ATM. With only a one year warranty I would cry if it took a dump on day 366.

I own a 1000 watt Dayton Titanic ii 15".....it's a ok sub.....I think you'll be better of with the used Klipsch...imho...

Good luck....

MKP :-)

Indy is 5-1/2 hours one way.

Still looking for a RSW15, close & reasonable.

Until then, 2- F1500's will just have to do. :mellow:

are you joking? The EXACT sub you want is only 350$ and 5.5 hours away and that's stopping you? Many on this forum have driven two to three times that far for something they were looking for.
  • Like 1

Indy is 5-1/2 hours one way.

Still looking for a RSW15, close & reasonable.

Until then, 2- F1500's will just have to do. :mellow:

are you joking? The EXACT sub you want is only 350$ and 5.5 hours away and that's stopping you? Many on this forum have driven two to three times that far for something they were looking for.

Easy Scrap, I've driven plenty.

Sounds like a topic for a new thread though.

Stay tuned…………...

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I just sold my soundbar in my bedroom this wk so I was really hoping to pick up an avr next in my order of operation.

Buying a sub as old as the rsw makes me nervous and with my paper thin walls and neighbors so close it wasn't a top priority. When doing research on the Daytona everything I read was really positive and this is the first I've heard that the klipsch would out perform it. Guess I need to do a little more digging on that topic later today.

I've read the crutchfield article when I started looking into this topic and it does help reading it again. My main confusion was with the updating which I have some more clairity on after Arrow's answer.

Any other options on an avr ? It kind of feels we're between years for avr's with or without HDCP. I did find the x4200 for $975 new and free shipping. This is $175 over budget but I guess better than buying again 2-3 years down the road.

• Like 1

After some digging today it does seem the Denon x4200 would be one of my only options with all the features I was seeking. Ebay has the x4000 new for under $600 ATM so may have to save my $500 and go that route. I can alaways look for a UHD player with two HDMI outs down the road. There's an auction for a used x4000 that ends in two days I plan to make a bid on that to see if I can save some cash. As far as audio goes I don't believe I would be missing out on much when comparing the 4000 to the 4200.