Just got RP-280F, curious about RF-7 II

adam2434

I'll be working on my review of the 280 vs 7ii. Haven't had a chance to actually sit down yet.

They are actually very similar in nature, but the 7s have a deeper, larger tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool!

By "deeper, larger tone", do you mean that they play lower, have more bass, have a darker tonal balance, etc.?

The RP series should be less bright due to the horn design.

I've ran them side by side, this isn't really the case.

I have to disagree. While I haven't owned RF-7ii's, I've owned more than a dozen other RF and RB models(including the original RF-7), and the RP is dramatically smoother.

So have you at least heard the RF-7ii's? The original RF-7's were harsh, period, most people couldn't stand listening to them long term without doing the very popular crossover modification. Not an issue with RF-7ii's.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I'll be working on my review of the 280 vs 7ii. Haven't had a chance to actually sit down yet.

They are actually very similar in nature, but the 7s have a deeper, larger tone.

Cool!

By "deeper, larger tone", do you mean that they play lower, have more bass, have a darker tonal balance, etc.?

I've tried to describe this previously but am not very good at it. The larger/deeper tone goes well beyond extended bass response. Rock singers sound more growly and therefore have more authority. Cymbals often have a nice thick and pleasant "crash" rather than a more shallow piercing "PSSHH". Gunfire in movies also sounds more authoritative. Flamenco music sounds more musical, the tones from the strings are just sweeter and more colorful with a nicer string attack if that makes any sense.

Some material though, man you'd be hard pressed to even tell them apart.

Also keep in mind that the sheer size of the RF-7ii compression driver literally has like 3 times the area as the 1" compression driver. You can't do that and it not be smoother and with less distortion. This smoothness conversation goes well beyond just the horn material. Crossover components, crossover frequency, actual drivers, all most likely play a bigger role than whether the horn is ABS plastic or molded silicone.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused about the driver in the rp 280f and atmos,

Is it a compression horn driver like in the RF 7 or is it a tweeter mated to a horn lense?

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-reference-premiere-tweeter-1060814/#prettyPhoto

I've never torn one apart but apparently this is what you get.  

Reading the description for the new Klipsch Dolby Atmos Speakers,

I don't think they use a conventional compression driver--

it sounds like they use a tweeter--"1" Linear Travel Suspension Titanium Tweeter"

Looking at the way the atmos has to be made--it make sense but I'm surprised they

would use this in a Upper Line Speaker.

This might also be the Tweeter used in the Palladium Series since the cabinet would not allow

the room for a conventional compression driver.

If the OP was having high frequency harshness--it might be due to this tweeter.

I haven't heard this tweeter and don't know how it compares to a compression driver.

Edited by rebuy

The RP series should be less bright due to the horn design.

I've ran them side by side, this isn't really the case.
I have to disagree. While I haven't owned RF-7ii's, I've owned more than a dozen other RF and RB models(including the original RF-7), and the RP is dramatically smoother.
So have you at least heard the RF-7ii's? The original RF-7's were harsh, period, most people couldn't stand listening to them long term without doing the very popular crossover modification. Not an issue with RF-7ii's.

No, I can't say that I've ever really heard RF-7ii's. I was just comparing the new horns to all the old, plastic, tractrix horns.

If the RF-7ii's are that much smoother, then they truly are the exception and maybe I should begin a quest for acquisition!

From what I have been reading, the new horn design in the RP series is a smoother horn and provides less artifacts than the R II series.  

A lot of what will generate a brittle / harsh sound can be the amplifier and speaker matching.  I have just purchased a set of RP-160Ms matched up to a pair of r12sw subs.  Unbelievable what $750 can buy.  The RP-160Ms had also been described as peaky but using my AVM-30 and REF-1000s, they are very smooth.  Not super forward in the mids and very relaxed.

Suffice it to say that the new RP series is a very good speaker but what you get out of it will be what you put into it.  Component changes, even cables will show changes in sound.

By the way I'm not disparaging the RF7 IIs but just pointing out something that a lot of folks forget.  Unless you try the speaker in your room with your components, all bets are off.  Nobody can tell you if you will like it.  System synergy!!

• Like 2

By the way I'm not disparaging the RF7 IIs but just pointing out something that a lot of folks forget. Unless you try the speaker in your room with your components, all bets are off. Nobody can tell you if you will like it. System synergy!!

I recently sold my RF 7 and replaced them with the 7 II's.  Several months back I reversed the transistor mod.  I actually liked the RF 7's and did not find them to bright.  I compared them against the 7 II's for a few day and found only slight differences.  The 7 II's seemed to have an oh so slight better upper end and the old 7's had a better low end.  I could be happy with either.  You really need to put them in your room to see if you like the sound.

From what I’ve read and understand, only the USA-made Reference speakers use a compression driver.  Therefore, the RP Series uses a tweeter, not a compression driver.

I owned the RB-81 II bookshelf for a while, and found them to be brighter than the RP-280F.

So the real question for me is whether the RF-7 II (with its compression driver) is voiced less bright than the made-in-China Reference II series and RP series.

the real question for me is whether the RF-7 II (with its compression driver) is voiced less bright than the made-in-China Reference II series and RP series.

In actual listening tests, in the same room, same equipment, same positions, etc., there's not much of a debate, especially at higher volumes.  Whether it measures differently or whatever, I can't comment on.  All I know is that I've done this and know what they sound like.  The RF-7ii and RC-64ii is obviously more pleasant.  These are my speakers in my room, I A/B'ed each one for a long time and have done this with other RP speakers.  Whether "bright" is the right word, I'm not sure.  The 1.75" driver is definitely less harsh.  

IMG_2891_zps690a4409.jpg

towers_zps0243909e.jpg

Metro, cool, I may just have to take the plunge and try them out.

What you said above about the cymbals having a "thick and pleasant crash" is speaking to me.  I can imagine that sound and seems like "more realistic" could apply too.

Since I probably won't have much time to actually sit and write a new topic, and my 280s just sold, here's a quick summary:

RP-280 vs RF-7 II

The RP 280 are smoother with a more laid back/recessed midrange. The RF-7 II are more forward and have a stronger midrange. Vocals and instruments on the 7s sound a bit more full-bodied and fleshed out.

I did find some oddities on the 280s in the upper registers that made them sound a bit piercing at times. The 7s do not seem to exhibit this issue. However, the 7s may have peaks in other areas. The 7s also have layers more detail and you can hear things like the wood of the instrument that get lost in the 280s.

I think the magic of the 7s comes from the true compression driver. Not to say the 280s are bad at all, because they are amazing. The 7s just have more presence and power that a horn/compression driver can provide.

If you found the 280s too bright, I'm not 100% sure that you won't find the 7s bright as well. I find the 7s very natural and absolutely fantastic for acoustic instruments. The overall sound of the two is very close, but the 7s have a bigger sound with more detail.

• Like 2

I think the right avr, preamp, amp, ect makes a difference.  I don't really have a problem with the horn's being harsh.  One thing is don't point the tweeter at the ears.  The directivity can get to you.  For me, that is any of the horn speakers.  They are a little different than the stuff you read about speaker setup for dome tweeters.

Congrats! Give them some time to break-in.  When I first got my 280s, they needed a good 20+ hours to be settled in.  You should enjoy the new setup!

Thanks.

I do not have the RP280Fs any longer, so I will have to rely on memory for comparison.

Another random thought...assuming the RP horn design is an improvement, it would be cool if Klipsch made a drop-in RP-type horn upgrade for the RF-7II and RC-64 II.  Klipsch could also start manufacturing the RF-7II and RC-64 II with the RP-type horn and market them as an "improved" version.  This would bring the the all the Reference series speakers to a common design feature without the need for a major redesign of the RF-7II and RC-64 II models.

Edited by adam2434

A drop in replacement is an interesting proposition.  However, the RF-7 II horn is already better than the 280.  The 280 is awesome, but can't touch the 7s.  The compression driver on the 7s is much better, so it may require a rework of the new horn as well.  I would imagine Klipsch would've made a replacement for the 7s if the new horn would do better.