Crites crossover I.D.?

Matthews

These crossovers are labeled "type A".  However they look much different than the current Crites type A offerings.

What do I have here?   Also, there is one loose wire (red) at the top middle of photo.  Both x-overs have this loose wire with no apparent place for it to connect?

Just a little odd and made me curious...

Thanks

edit: whoops, forgot the photo

post-36834-0-82520000-1451267414_thumb.j

Edited by Matthews

I'm sure it is one of his… Older, different types of can caps. There is another part of a thread somewhere in the Ethereal forum that has something else about these particular crossovers and these capacitors.

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

Also, there is one loose wire (red) at the top middle of photo. Both x-overs have this loose wire with no apparent place for it to connect?

I don't know the answer, but that doesn't stop me from guessing!  B)

I thought on some networks changing the position of the tap on the capacitor changes the XO point or maybe the attenuation.  Could this be pre-wired so the customer can simply plug and play to get a different value?

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

these are A networks from Bob Crites - http://www.critesspeakers.com/ - BOB  stopped using GE cans a few years ago -so these are either 10 or 5 years old - now if you have a serial number in the back of the board - BOB can give you the exact details as to the specs -

To add to this, the capacitors are the, somewhat famous, no longer available, General Electric Polypropylene in oil, motor run capacitors.   

• Like 1

These crossovers are labeled "type A".  However they look much different than the current Crites type A offerings.

What do I have here?   Also, there is one loose wire (red) at the top middle of photo.  Both x-overs have this loose wire with no apparent place for it to connect?

Just a little odd and made me curious...

Thanks

edit: whoops, forgot the photo

attachicon.gifx-over (Medium).jpg

Did you get those at least with the Scalas?

Mark

• Like 1

these are A networks from Bob Crites - http://www.critesspeakers.com/ - BOB  stopped using GE cans a few years ago -so these are either 10 or 5 years old - now if you have a serial number in the back of the board - BOB can give you the exact details as to the specs -

To add to this, the capacitors are the, somewhat famous, no longer available, General Electric Polypropylene in oil, motor run capacitors.   

there are still some of these GE cans around in surplus stores -NOS

• Like 1

Those look like Bob's convertible networks, by swapping leads you can convert it to an "AA" network.  It is designed so you can switch it between and "A" and AA" on a single network board.  I had a pair of them at one time.

that answer is plausible but the AA network adds Zener diodes for tweeter protection to an A network -and there are none  on that board -now that red lead looks like an Lpad to select an attenuation point -

• Like 1

So I am a little curious?  If these are convertible, do I just switch the lead (red)?  Will there be a noticeable sonic difference between the two?  Is it even suggestible to fiddle with it?

Still a few weeks out yet, just curious...

yeah - the red lead on the 3636 autotransformer can attenuate any value from -1 to -12 db , so from the picture of your board , I am guessing a -3db or plus 3db sonic difference depending on the lead you chose --the lead is connected to the no 6 on the terminals post - and that is the squawker only -

3636_med.jpeg

Edited by Randyh

yeah - the red lead on the 3636 autotransformer can attenuate any value from -1 to -12 db , so from the picture of your board , I am guessing a -3db or plus 3db sonic difference depending on the lead you chose

Hmmm?  That is very interesting.  Thank you, Randy :emotion-21:

these networks must have had a couple of midrange drivers that he could swap in like a K55V or a K55M - since some drivers are hotter than others

My drivers are the K-55-V.  Will it be safe to switch between the two leads?  Decide which one sounds better to my ears?

-now if you want to improve on that network - you can add Zener diodes for the tweeter protection to avoid blowing these , on the board making them into an AA network -or an A network - if unused -

I am in so far over budget on this project :wacko:  - perhaps an addition for later down the road...