Why VRD's

richieb

"Loyalty"??  

No.  My ears are only loyal to what sounds good.  

That said, I bought and would buy again due to the trust Craig earned from me.

"Very SS like"??

If you mean that it doesn't have the common weakness that tubes are often criticized for such as flabby bass I could agree with that.  

The Stereo VRD's have slightly less solid bass than the Mono Blocks but it's still pretty good in its own right.  The voicing on both is wonderful!  Balanced, clear, natural top to bottom!  

"Dynaco clone"??

Puhshaw.  

Not a lot of mention of what amps you are comparing.  Also, what tubes did you try (on the front end)?  After all, that is what VRD means.

Are there better amps? Sure... but at prices WAYYYY beyond what you are talking about for VRD's!  It is a great amp even if you leave $$ out of the equation.  It is an AWESOME amp for the money.

If you didn't enjoy it or thought it was just "ok" I am thinking there was something else going on or maybe your tastes are just really really different from mine.  

Assuming there is no other agenda at work here I'll just leave it with you that my experience with VRD's has been very good.  

I'm currently using

-Gold Lion KT-88

have used Valve Art, and Penta KT88SC 

-Sovtek 5ar4

used various Mullards as well

-CBS 7318 in the 12au7 slot (AWESOME tube!)

used countless other 12au7, variants or 12bh7 tubes here.  Top tubes were the Mullard 10M, Mullard M8136, Amperex (long plate).  It is not a top tube but I also like the RCA clear tops.

-Brimar CV4035 in the 12ax7 slot

Lots of tubes ran through here... Mullard 10M, Mullard CV4004 were both good.  Various 5751's were also good but not to my liking as much as the first 3 mentioned.  

If you are using JJ's as your driver or phase splitter you might want to give something else to try.  

Other equipment:  Bel Canto Dac, NBS Pre

Also, what tubes did you try (on the front end)? After all, that is what VRD means.

Do you adjust the AC balance with an oscilloscope when you "roll tubes" in the "front end"?     If not you are probably doing more harm than good.

How is that exactly? You plan on running your amps at full power output all the time?? Give me a break man.... You serious with that?

What is all the fuss with the VRD's?

IMO, they are the cure for all the typically described negatives of both solid state and tubes. That sums it up quite nicely I believe. They are truth machines. If the truth they provide sounds "just ok", get a better source.

Edited by paul79

How is that exactly? You plan on running your amps at full power output all the time?? Give me a break man.... You serious with that?

Yes I am. If I want to crank it up I want it to be running optimally, I am sure most people would. If there was no point to the balance control why would Craig put it in the amp? Personally if I was going to make a tube rollers dream amp I would stick a CCS at the tail to force AC balance.

Would you buy a Porsche just to drive it 30mph?

Are you serious?

This place cracks me up. A simple question to the pros/cons of the Forum favorite VRD turns, as always, into a pissssin' contest. Like who's stream sounds most like a horse pisssin' a flat rock.

I don't need be told about "truth" or '"a better source" is the answer. I've been in the game long enough to know from where I speak but thanks for the advice.

Run amps at 100% - that's simple enough, Class A SS. Running full out the moment they turn on. Don't believe it - check your power bill. Got a pair of 'em, love 'em. So does Westar energy.

Continue on --

• Like 1

Yes I am. If I want to crank it up I want it to be running optimally, I am sure most people would. If there was no point to the balance control why would Craig put it in the amp? Personally if I was going to make a tube rollers dream amp I would stick a CCS at the tail to force AC balance.

Would you buy a Porsche just to drive it 30mph?

Are you serious?

You are giving this simple AC Balance too much credit dude. It is for symmetrical clipping at max power, to give the best distortion numbers at max power. It is a nice option to give better specs, but I seriously doubt you are really going to hear its benefits enough to give a damn, so long as you put decent tubes back in the amps. Just my opinion. Put matched replacement tubes in the front end if you are worried about it. Why would anybody put a tube in the amps with a wore out triode anyways??

Sell your VRD's because if you swap one tube, you cannot readjust the AC Balance. Just like so many other wonderful amplifiers that do not have AC Balance adjustment.

This place cracks me up. A simple question to the pros/cons of the Forum favorite VRD turns, as always, into a pissssin' contest. Like who's stream sounds most like a horse pisssin' a flat rock.

I don't need be told about "truth" or '"a better source" is the answer. I've been in the game long enough to know from where I speak but thanks for the advice.

Run amps at 100% - that's simple enough, Class A SS. Running full out the moment they turn on. Don't believe it - check your power bill. Got a pair of 'em, love 'em. So does Westar energy.

Continue on --

The whole point of you starting this thread has yet to be determined. Sounds like you have an ax to grind with Craig or something, otherwise, what could possibly be your motive here? Your response was predetermined. Pissing match? How? You started with saying something is ok, an opinion. You got other opinions. Did you expect the forum to jump on your bandwagon?

Seems like you went through several amps until you found the one that colored the sound to your liking. Why go through this amp, that amp, another amp? This points to a source or speaker/room issue you are trying to correct, or we are dealing with someone that can't stand high frequencies and wants a rolled off amplifier.

I have been in this game long enough my damn self.

Edited by paul79

A simple question to the pros/cons of the Forum favorite VRD

Really?  The Forum favorite?  Perhaps one that has been complimented quite a bit for build quality, sound and customer service, but then, so have Justin Weber's ampsandsound products.  And both deservedly so.  Not to mention the fact that the percentage of VRD owners to owners of other amps, whether they be tube or SS, would be quite small.  And, as with Paul I ask, what is your point anyway?

A pissin' contest....you want a pissin' contest?  Go to a crossover thread.  That's where all the pissers hang out.....

I would stick a CCS at the tail to force AC balance.

Pretty sure he would have if it was "that" important.....