Why VRD's

richieb

You are giving this simple AC Balance too much credit dude. It is for symmetrical clipping at max power, to give the best distortion numbers at max power. It is a nice option to give better specs, but I seriously doubt you are really going to hear its benefits enough to give a damn, so long as you put decent tubes back in the amps. Just my opinion. Put matched replacement tubes in the front end if you are worried about it. Why would anybody put a tube in the amps with a wore out triode anyways?? Sell your VRD's because if you swap one tube, you cannot readjust the AC Balance. Just like so many other wonderful amplifiers that do not have AC Balance adjustment.

You are trying to justify poorer performance for some reason. You are trying to say that if the designer of the amp designed the loading of that LTP correctly you would rather rely on perfectly matched twin triodes for AC symmetry? Good luck with buying perfectly matched twin triodes. The dual triode used for the phase inverter should probably last a lifetime, I would think it's much easier to just throw a tube in and adjust for AC balance, much easier than having to sort through hundreds of tubes for a perfectly matched twin triode. Why you people seem to think you know more than the engineer who designs these amps I don't know, and why you think you need to "roll" tubes.

I suggest you sit down and do a little reading on differential amplifiers.

Edited by xxJPMxx

where does it state an ulterior motive on his question? That's an assumption. He flat out states he's not looking to knock, it's just his opinion.

I know, I think it's funny how the OP asks a simple question and people have to chime in with comments that read like it's out of a scientology pamphlet. 

They are truth machines.

LOL

where does it state an ulterior motive on his question? That's an assumption. He flat out states he's not looking to knock, it's just his opinion.

Well you are right there Jim. No axe to grind, no ulterior motive just curious as to why VRD has a following. When I owned mine I spoke to Craig several times, seemed an ok fella to me. Met him at a Klipsch open house in Indy I believe, maybe opinionated but a nice guy. But Jim you should know the most innocent question here can bring the words/opinion/accusations flying. Maybe that's why Craig himself left; with all the "expert opinions" here I can see why. I guess I'll just crawl back in my hole and listen to my inferior rig as I hope an informed expert can show me the way.

• Like 1

Well you are right there Jim. No axe to grind, no ulterior motive just curious as to why VRD has a following. When I owned mine I spoke to Craig several times, seemed an ok fella to me. Met him at a Klipsch open house in Indy I believe, maybe opinionated but a nice guy. But Jim you should know the most innocent question here can bring the words/opinion/accusations flying. Maybe that's why Craig himself left; with all the "expert opinions" here I can see why. I guess I'll just crawl back in my hole and listen to my inferior rig as I hope an informed expert can show me the way.

What is your rig ? Can you share 

Maynard's amps are best.

Based on some of the opinions on here, I should be insulted as I have one of his amps. You must have an ulterior motive to say that.

Yeah.. i own one too.

I know, that's why I said that. I remember your reply to the thread about his amps being nice.

Maynard's amps are best.

Based on some of the opinions on here, I should be insulted as I have one of his amps. You must have an ulterior motive to say that.

Yeah.. i own one too.

I know, that's why I said that. I remember your reply to the thread about his amps being nice.

so what are you implying? jerk.

You are giving this simple AC Balance too much credit dude. It is for symmetrical clipping at max power, to give the best distortion numbers at max power. It is a nice option to give better specs, but I seriously doubt you are really going to hear its benefits enough to give a damn, so long as you put decent tubes back in the amps. Just my opinion. Put matched replacement tubes in the front end if you are worried about it. Why would anybody put a tube in the amps with a wore out triode anyways?? Sell your VRD's because if you swap one tube, you cannot readjust the AC Balance. Just like so many other wonderful amplifiers that do not have AC Balance adjustment.

You are trying to justify poorer performance for some reason. You are trying to say that if the designer of the amp designed the loading of that LTP correctly you would rather rely on perfectly matched twin triodes for AC symmetry? Good luck with buying perfectly matched twin triodes. The dual triode used for the phase inverter should probably last a lifetime, I would think it's much easier to just throw a tube in and adjust for AC balance, much easier than having to sort through hundreds of tubes for a perfectly matched twin triode. Why you people seem to think you know more than the engineer who designs these amps I don't know, and why you think you need to "roll" tubes.

I suggest you sit down and do a little reading on differential amplifiers.

Ok, I like to think I know a little on this subject. Here's a challenge for you.....

Take the VRD's... Listen to them, all balanced up with new tubes. Then crank that AC Balance pot all the way one direction or the other. Tell me what difference you hear.

My point is that this option is not that important, and I know damn well it isn't.

Maynard's amps don't have Jupiter Bees Wax impregnated with fairy dust capacitors so they possibly can't be the best.

Wait a minute JP, are you telling me you copied Maynard's amp with putting above said into mine? No wonder I'm listening to Barry Manilow now, that damn fairy dust capacitor is doing it to me.

Maynard's amps don't have Jupiter Bees Wax impregnated with fairy dust capacitors so they possibly can't be the best.

easy turbo - they made a noticeable difference in my Cornwall crossovers, and likely would improve certain sonic aspects of an amp as well. There's plenty of snake oil out there, but it doesn't mean EVERYTHING is snake oil.