Why VRD's

richieb

where does it state an ulterior motive on his question? That's an assumption. He flat out states he's not looking to knock, it's just his opinion.

Pointless opinion. He's looking to beat someone up. Easy enough for me to see that. Just my opinion. Won't change

Edited by paul79

Maynard's amps are best.

Based on some of the opinions on here, I should be insulted as I have one of his amps. You must have an ulterior motive to say that.

Yeah.. i own one too.

I know, that's why I said that. I remember your reply to the thread about his amps being nice.

so what are you implying? jerk.

Jerk? You're a funny guy. My point was not geared at you, but at the comments of others, but I see how you being the person you are feels you can talk down to anyone as you please. Must be nice to hide behind a keyboard.

easy turbo - they made a noticeable difference in my Cornwall crossovers, and likely would improve certain sonic aspects of an amp as well. There's plenty of snake oil out there, but it doesn't mean EVERYTHING is snake oil.

Completely different application.........turbo.

Maynard's amps are best.

Based on some of the opinions on here, I should be insulted as I have one of his amps. You must have an ulterior motive to say that.

Yeah.. i own one too.

I know, that's why I said that. I remember your reply to the thread about his amps being nice.

Jerk? You're a funny guy. My point was not geared at you, but at the comments of others, but I see how you being the person you are feels you can talk down to anyone as you please. Must be nice to hide behind a keyboard.

sorry. i was talking to you like i talk to Carl and as such assumed an unfair level of familiarity with you. I was being snarky and in no way actually considering you to be a jerk.

where does it state an ulterior motive on his question? That's an assumption. He flat out states he's not looking to knock, it's just his opinion.

Well you are right there Jim. No axe to grind, no ulterior motive just curious as to why VRD has a following. When I owned mine I spoke to Craig several times, seemed an ok fella to me. Met him at a Klipsch open house in Indy I believe, maybe opinionated but a nice guy. But Jim you should know the most innocent question here can bring the words/opinion/accusations flying. Maybe that's why Craig himself left; with all the "expert opinions" here I can see why. I guess I'll just crawl back in my hole and listen to my inferior rig as I hope an informed expert can show me the way.

What is your rig ? Can you share 

Sure, its a real simple system.

Klipschorns with Fastlane top hat - Selenium D220 tweeter/horn, Elliptrac 280HZ mid horn/K55

ALK extreme slope xovers

for a change of pace Zu Essence; Merlin TSM MMM stand mounts

CD - CEC 51xl belt drive

Amp(s) - Almarro single ended 18 watts 6c33 output tubes

- Dennis Had KT66/88 single ended 

- Forte Threshold Model 7, 75 watt Class A mono blocks

- Valve Audio Predator hybrid integrated, 4x 6922/MOSFET 

- Peter Daniels 50 watt gainclone

Nelson Pass First Watt B1 buffered preamp

Audioquest Columbia IC's / DNM IC's / Grover IC's / Bogdan IC's

Belden copper speaker cable

Pointless opinion. He's looking to beat someone up. Easy enough for me to see that

I guess you can see inside his mind? I didn't take it at that. I took it as someone who is looking for opinions on an amp that he doesn't think is fantastic.

Maynard's amps are best.

Yeah.. i own one too.

sorry. i was talking to you like i talk to Carl and as such assumed an unfair level of familiarity with you. I was being snarky and in no way actually considering you to be a jerk.

No problem, no harm no foul

I know, I think it's funny how the OP asks a simple question and people have to chime in with comments that read like it's out of a scientology pamphlet. 

They are truth machines.

LOL

Let's see a square wave response of one of your "modded" amps? Right from that foldable table work bench you have......

Pointless opinion. He's looking to beat someone up. Easy enough for me to see that

I guess you can see inside his mind? I didn't take it at that. I took it as someone who is looking for opinions on an amp that he doesn't think is fantastic.

Um.... He had a pair. Does he need some form of affirmation that what he thinks is correct? Maybe I was wrong.... His motive may be to buy another pair of VRD's.....???

I personally would have liked to see more comments on why someone liked the amp, was indifferent to it, or even didn't like it. Not the "let's attack the OP" for not having the same opinions as us.

Being still new to tubes, I want to try as many amps as possible. But money won't allow me to do that, so I have to go by some opinions on different amps. Does that make any of them wrong? No. Is there a hidden agenda for the post? I don't know, and I don't care. But for the people who say they like them ,please give more detail as to why. Quietness, no clipping, things like this are welcome. Bland sounding is another opinion. No one on here has stated the amp was garbage or sounded like crap. Does that make all his products good or bad or indifferent? Not at all.

Paul is just butt hurt because out of one side of his face he is saying that the VRD's are truth machines and that they don't color the sound. And then out the other side of his face he says that who cares about extra distortion by not balancing the PI it won't matter. 

Edited at the request of the poster.

Edited by CECAA850

Paul is just butt hurt because out of one side of his face he is saying that the VRD's are truth machines and that they don't color the sound. And then out the other side of his face he says that who cares about extra distortion by not balancing the PI it won't matter. 

And I like my work bench table. It serves my purpose well, which is bending your daughter over it.

Oh my.... My daughter is 13. I think it is time for you to change your name again ace. Thaeddeus?

Edited by paul79

Um.... He had a pair. Does he need some form of affirmation that what he thinks is correct? Maybe I was wrong.... His motive may be to buy another pair of VRD's.....???

As I don't know him personally, I can't say. Maybe he didn't use different tubes like others, maybe he didn't use the same speakers others used. But if someone were to say, I use x type speakers with x type tubes and my room setting is this, it would have given him a different view of things.

When I was looking for my 1st tube amp, only 1 person on this whole forum actually took time to ask me questions, talk about my speakers, talk about measurements in my room and compression and then told me without having a bunch of those things done or answered, that I should try things myself as they couldn't give a good recommendation. Could there be the slightest possibility the OP may have gotten a different sound had he done things like some of the other owners? Maybe, but he was asking impressions and flat out said he's not looking to bash.

Good Lord - no wonder people leave this forum.

Sorry I asked such a "political" question.

JPMaxx - you owe everyone an apology for such a moronic comment. Make that comment about my daughter

and her LEO husband and LEO brother will come for a visit.

As I don't know him personally, I can't say. Maybe he didn't use different tubes like others, maybe he didn't use the same speakers others used. But if someone were to say, I use x type speakers with x type tubes and my room setting is this, it would have given him a different view of things.

When I was looking for my 1st tube amp, only 1 person on this whole forum actually took time to ask me questions, talk about my speakers, talk about measurements in my room and compression and then told me without having a bunch of those things done or answered, that I should try things myself as they couldn't give a good recommendation. Could there be the slightest possibility the OP may have gotten a different sound had he done things like some of the other owners? Maybe, but he was asking impressions and flat out said he's not looking to bash.

That is my point Jim. No doubt you are a very noteworthy fellow, and I appreciate your candor. I perhaps should give some benefit of doubt, but when someone openly states nothing more than an opinion like the OP, I can't help but think it is an attack with no other variables presented about the situation, history of the use of the amps, system, room, etc..... If it is indeed an honest "why are these amps touted" then I regress.