To hear Bose speakers full potential.

Matthews

We are so hard on Bose!  I've actually heard them sound pretty good a few times, always with a very powerful amplifier.  IMO, the 901 series need an amp between about 350 w.p.c. and 1,000 w.p.c.  I've heard the 901 on both -- not bad.

We wouldn't want people to judge a Klipschorn that wasn't in a corner, or practically any Klipsch speaker placed on legs, with a cavity under, out in the middle of the room!

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

We are so hard on Bose!  I've actually heard them sound pretty good a few times, always with a very powerful amplifier.  IMO, the 901 series need an amp between about 350 w.p.c. and 1,000 w.p.c.  I've heard the 901 on both -- not bad.

We wouldn't want people to judge a Klipschorn that wasn't in a corner, or practically any Klipsch speaker placed on legs, with a cavity under, out in the middle of the room!

I can agree that they can sound pretty good, if they're not being ABed to something that sounds gooder. I have had the 901 and 301. It is hard to tell that there is so much missing unless there is something to reference. I had the same experience with my Polk SDA SRS. They were excellent, sounded great and a lot of it, until I AB them. 

• Like 2

We are so hard on Bose! I've actually heard them sound pretty good a few times, always with a very powerful amplifier. IMO, the 901 series need an amp between about 350 w.p.c. and 1,000 w.p.c. I've heard the 901 on both -- not bad.

We wouldn't want people to judge a Klipschorn that wasn't in a corner, or practically any Klipsch speaker placed on legs, with a cavity under, ouùt in the middle of the room!

I can agree that they can sound pretty good, if they're not being ABed to something that sounds gooder. I have had the 901 and 301. It is hard to tell that there is so much missing unless there is something to reference. I had the same experience with my Polk SDA SRS. They were excellent, sounded great and a lot of it, until I AB them.
My wife would support my opinion and follow my lead when it came to this stuff, and I kinda knew it. Until one night we were at our very local Best Buy and I asked her to come to where they had the home speakers (before they had the fancy shmancy touch screen setup). There they had the ceiling speakers hooked to a single receiver and speaker switch box. I turned on the best Bose they had and turned up the volume to a moderate level.

Then I switched it to the best Klipsch in the display without touching any other controls......you'd think she witnessed the second coming of (her) Christ.

Edited by Mighty Favog
  • Like 3

I still have an old pair of the Bose along with some dated BIC Venturis, bookshelf series, both of them, in the wifes garage, listen to them at low volume wile refurbing Klipsch over the years.

They will likely go to the Desert one day wile loading for a shooting outing, and yes, the BICs will go right along with them.

• Like 2

Devil's Advocate Position: (somebody's got to do it)

I know we're having fun here, as Bose Bashing is a national sport with some people.  :rolleyes:

But honestly, honestly, what would Bose sound like if you:

• Switched to an upgraded crossover with Jupiter caps
  • Swapped out the tweeters and midrange drivers
  • Put in new upgraded woofers
  • Reinforced and heavily braced the cabinet

Does this list sound familiar, the first thing you do to make your Klipsch speakers sound good, La Scala owners?  :P

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

We are so hard on Bose! I've actually heard them sound pretty good a few times, always with a very powerful amplifier.

If you really violate the basic rules of speaker design at will and do whatever it takes you can make almost anything sound good at some point.   But low efficiency speakers never, in my experience, remain listenable below a pretty loud level while designs that follow PWK's 8 cardinal points sound good at any level.  That's my experience.  YMMV. 

That part can't really be denied.  Perhaps more debatable is what impact all the EQ required to make those little bitty drivers jump through hoops has on the sound.  I personally have never heard Bose in that perfect environment for them that makes them listenable.  But I take it from those who've heard them under those conditions that they can, in fact, be listenable.

IMHO, it's a lot easier to just put a couple of Klipschorn's in whatever corner you have, hook up a good 5 watt amplifier, and be done with it.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 2

I know we're having fun here, as Bose Bashing is a national sport with some people.  :rolleyes:

Does this list sound familiar, the first thing you do to make your Klipsch speakers sound good, La Scala owners?  :P

Sorry Dave, but I think you missed a step: throwing them out because the cabinet is too small to do jack crap to. :P

• Like 1

Sorry Dave, but I think you missed a step: throwing them out because the cabinet is too small to do jack crap to. :P

Bose doesn't have much of a crossover, they just point the drivers in various directions to help offset the peaks in the response  :wacko:

The Automotive  factory systems they offer are behind the rest as well IMO.  Its almost like they sit down and say, "Lets create something that has no real highs, no real bass and has a mono sound even though we are using 11 drivers."........

• Like 2