Can I add or replace the subwoofer for my Promedia 2.1 set?

iman

Welcome.

What do you mean it wasn't what you were hoping for? Too little, too much? What exactly are you hoping for?

Replacing the sub with another Promedia sub might be necessary if the unit is defective, but in general the sub that's with that unit is the sub to use. There's a repair kit out there that's supposed to be an upgrade, but I don't recall where I saw it. But yes, a few more details may be able to help us help you.

IMO - I found the bass on my Promedia's (when I had them) to be borderline obnoxious if turned up much higher than a quarter of the way...did not mesh with the satellites very well.

Edited by IbizaFlame

Sorry for this dumb question but...you do have the volume on the module turned up, right? The bass module that is.

Those subs are known to be a bit crazy with the bass.

If not, check your source material. The source may not have a lot of bass in it. You tend to find this a lot with phones, YouTube videos and television stations.

OH yeah. I've tried max volume, which seems to make the subwoofer sound like crap, I've tried bass boosted songs, which makes the sub sound like crap, and I've tried maxing out the sub with about 60% volume, which sounds okay. There is only bass control on the right speaker, I think, which is up all the way.

Also... I feel like something is wrong, because there are so many rooms about how insanely powerful the sub is, but when I have it up too high it just makes a rattling sound like something is wrong with it. I know it's not blown, but...

So...it sounds like it's responding, but the volume just isn't there. I'm of the flavor that'd say it might have something to do with a bad connection somewhere. Check the pins and cables for breaks or buildup. When I bought my first Promedia there was some glue splattered on the pins, but cleaning it off fixed the issues. Make sure that isn't the case for you.

If the unit is in warranty, consider replacing it with new. I had to do this with a control pod, and Klipsch was awesome about it.

• Like 1

Well, short of pulling the sub out of the cabinet and the amp out...there's no way of knowing if that's the issue - and that would void the warranty if you're still within it.

If you're not in warranty...you'd want to check if it was a problem with the amplifier or just the driver. A new enclosure is possible, but short of going the route of a receiver with the satellites - it isn't going to be that practical.

Buy a whole new subwoofer - enclosure + speaker + amplifier - and call it a day.  It's just not worth the trouble to dig around inside what is a ridiculously cheap piece of gear looking for some Chinese-made part to fix.  Just replace the whole dang thing!  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R7.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XKlipsch+Prome.TRS0&_nkw=klipsch+promedia+2.1+subwoofer&_sacat=0

• Like 1

Is your woofer surround intact?

Mine bit the dust.  That said, I have a brand new driver in the box that's never been used.  (because of a mishap, they ended up sending me two of them)

My woofer is back to barking now.

That said, they ARE only something like six inches....  so I don't know what you're looking for.  They've never 'pounded' my room however, they've always sounded mighty damn fine.  (I've had three units go through my hands as my wife took my first one, bought one for sister in law and had to replace the one that my wife stole)

OH yeah. I've tried max volume, which seems to make the subwoofer sound like crap, I've tried bass boosted songs, which makes the sub sound like crap, and I've tried maxing out the sub with about 60% volume, which sounds okay. There is only bass control on the right speaker, I think, which is up all the way.

I think a part of the problem is, you want far more out of this speaker system than it's designed for. I mean, it's a personal computer speaker system. It's not designed for making stuff in your room rattle. It's designed for being awesome within your personal space, while you're at your computer. It's not intended to shake a room, or even fill one up. If you want something that will make stuff in your room rattle, then the ProMedia 2.1 system needs to be replaced with something much more powerful, and you will need an 8" or 10" subwoofer - and you will also need a few hundred watts.

Think about it: the driver in the ProMedia 2.1's subwoofer cabinet is only 6.5", and the power that's driving it is only 130W maximum.. That's really not much when you consider what you want out of it (like, you personally). However, when you use this system as intended, it's crazy how awesome it is. It just can't be beat for its intended use.

Another part of the problem is, you have the 'Subwoofer' level turned up way too high. It should be at the white mark, or close to it. That's the level where you get closest to the intended level of low end that was meant to be heard on the recording that you're listening to. It's a THX thing. I don't know how to explain it. I just know what Klipsch says, and they recommend using the white spot as a starting point. Keep in mind though that turning the 'Subwoofer' level up doesn't increase the bass, it just makes the subwoofer a little louder. If you want more bass, then you need to use Graphic Equalization or you need to find and turn the 'Bass' level up in Windows. Y'know what I'm saying? Of course, knowing what you really want, you're going to need a much more powerful speaker system.

Also... I feel like something is wrong, because there are so many rooms about how insanely powerful the sub is, but when I have it up too high it just makes a rattling sound like something is wrong with it. I know it's not blown, but...

The rattling sound is air turbulence in the port due to pushing the subwoofer beyond its limits (the sound is called "chuffing"). This is 100% normal and it can happen to any ported subwoofer if you push one hard enough. When you use the ProMedia 2.1 system in the way that it was INTENDED to be used, you end up seeing that its subwoofer is indeed insanely powerful. However, when you want to rattle stuff in your room, you're asking way too much of it. You'll never be able to get room-shaking performance out of this speaker system because it's simply not designed for it. To get room-shaking performance, you need a system that can be used in a big room with lots of people in it. You can't get room-shaking performance out of a personal speaker system.

So, I recommend turning the 'Subwoofer' level back down to the white mark, turn the Main Volume up to around 50-75%, and then do all of your volume adjusting in Windows or whatever computer you have. Just enjoy this speaker system in the way it was intended to be used. That's really all I'm saying.

Edited by TwoCables
  • Like 4

Thank you very much, two cables. Yes, I guess I'm expecting too much out of it. I would like to replace it with the Klipsch Synergy 12. I've seen videos on youtube of people who have done it, but I just don't know how to.

Thank you very much, two cables. Yes, I guess I'm expecting too much out of it. I would like to replace it with the Klipsch Synergy 12. I've seen videos on youtube of people who have done it, but I just don't know how to.

I'm not sure I'd say that you're expecting too much out of it, but it's that what you want is far more than the ProMedia 2.1 can deliver. As a personal computer speaker system, it's everything that you've read about. As a room-shaker, it's worthless.

Edited by TwoCables
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

It's all about placement. I bet if you have music going and stand closer to a wall, you'd hear the bass a lot more.

I wound up with 2 sets of 2.1s, 1 satellite went out on one set, but I wired up the 2nd sub for a 2.2 setup, just used a splitter on my sound card. Was also able to attach the control pod from the 2nd set to the right speaker, so now each speaker has a control pod under it. aesthetic

Learned about placement, balancing and staging and have my subs BARELY up, the white dot is right at the 9 o'clock position, under the 'subwoofer' dot on the speaker itself. No way I would turn it all the way up. It already shakes everything. Just have to place them correctly in the room. Sounds phenomenal. I'm starting to believe in getting the most out of any speaker just by placement and how much it matters.

Edit: My setup

wl8Hh2o.jpg

Edited by bashzero