Detroit CL - Cornwall and K-Horn

whell

Whenever they have those oddball prices for  things on CL, especially cars, it makes me think it's a scam ad.  Who puts an extra $6 on the end of the price?  No one.  On Little Rock CL car ads, you'll see them advertise cars like a 2014 Honda Accord EX with a 3rd row bench seat and low mileage for $2506.  I'm beginning to think it's a racket among all of the CL scammers.

i came across these this morning. the cornwalls have my interest, & they're pretty close to home.

what kind of scam would the guy be running,?  the prices are about right, and he lists his number.  is it just the 6's ? not giving you a hard time, just trying to see what i'm missing.

usually, you can weed out the crap by the stupidly low priced items, to a phone number listed area code in florida, or california when the item is listed in detroit. for example, there were a pair of mint forte ii's list in Detroit a couple of weeks back for 250 or 300, but the number was listed in CA.

• Like 1

for example, there were a pair of mint forte ii's list in Detroit a couple of weeks back for 250 or 300, but the number was listed in CA.

Entirely possible it was not a legitimate sale, however.......don't be swayed by phone numbers that don't seem to sync up with locations.....people move and take their cell numbers with them, it's very common.  Like me....I live in Indiana and have a cell number from the West Coast......

A long time ago I worked for a family owned department store that sold (literally) everything from grape jelly & clothes pins to a Wellcraft Scarab.

In the Boating Dept. the prices were already marked on each one on the sales floor. But there was a trick to it........the model number of the boat on the price tag was the minimum amount the store could sell it for BACKWARDS. So you could buy that Scarab Model # 00783061 for $160,387.00.

Who puts an extra $6 on the end of the price?

Actually, this is a proven marketing technique that gets attention.  Another is to put "88" at the end of a price, either in dollars or cents.   

Oh I spent 30 years in Consumer Electronic retail, distribution and manufacturers rep for home/car audio/video/automation/etc so I get the marketing part.  I know that's common for some places....but not average Joe Seller on Craigslist.  First I've seen for something like this including when I lived in Dallas...except for bogus car sales ads that are phishing for phone numbers and email addresses.  Maybe it's legit.

Edited by avguytx