Which ones??Starting Fresh!

ssndTech

Can anyone help?

I am a HT virgin. I want to setup a new system. First, I have a new Panasonic 5 disc DVD/CD player to compliment my 36" Panasonic TV and an older Optimus Prologic receiver which I will eventually upgrade. But first things first, speakers.

My pit puppy ate my Bose so I am ready to start over. Is Klipsch the way to go? And if so, which series? Then, what is my config? (Let's pretend I have a 15'X15' room) What speakers will I need?

My goal is to have killer surround HT, as well as kickn' music from the sweet sounds of Bach to the bass thumpn' beats of Shaggy or Nelly (however I mostly listen to the Blues). Nevertheless, I like POWER. Nothing can sound better than an SRV tune or a Santana solo cranked til ur ears bleed, well maybe not that high, but you know what I mean.

man's best friend is right - that puppy really did u a favor smile.gif

klipsch has a new line of reference speaks & subs coming around may that may be just the tic for your needs. of course their heritage

line is great already, but may take up too much room & budget (?)

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Thanks boa12.

Both, I don't think I have the room for the Heritage series and it seems to me I could get more power outta the Legend or Reference series for that kinda cash. I just don't know which and what. I've heard a bit about a new series coming from Klipsch, but when is that expected?

------------------

I am not sure what my top line budget should be, but it appears it will likely be no less than 2000-3000 or so. I have been reading alot about the quality of Klipsch being somewhat sub-par. The more I think about it, maybe some vintage Heritage are the way to go. Still, they dont provide todays stardards or specs and there are no matching centers or surrounds.

------------------

listening being pretty subjective, there're a lot of opinions on what is best. i think klipsch is best & very reliable. they're great w/ customer service too. think i've heard of some good dealers for them in your area. if u want new you're looking at close to 3k for 5 heresy speaks & a good subwoofer.

heritage do make for great centers if done right. there's a matching chart link to the left for a start. i'd visit your local klipsch dealer & check it out too. beware of unauthorized (internet) dealers if u want klipsch to honor the warranty.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Do not buy ANY speakers (Klipsch included!) until you've heard them, or at least something representative of the manufacturer!

No two speakers sound the same. A lot of people LOVE Klipsch. A lot of people love Paradigm, Energy, PSB, Polk, B&W, NHT, Monitor Audio, Thiel, Cambridge Audio, yada yada yada. They all sound different. Once you've decided that a particular brand, say Klipsch, produces the kind of sound that you're looking for, then something like this board can be a big help in zeroing in on WHICH Klipsch speaker you'd probably like best. But for God's sake, don't spend your money on something you've never heard just because I, or anyone else, happens to like the way it sounds.

YOU'RE the one who's gonna be listening to it.

If you can't find a dealer who carries the line(s) you think you might be interested in, it's worth a road trip to check out a couple of dealers.

take thy commandments to visit a dealer 1st with thy grain of salt. There's nothing wrong with getting a little opinion & information from this board before getting in a potential shark (salespeople) tank. Sounds like you've already heard klipsch speakers anyway or why, after reading those negative reports, would you have an interest in them?

Of course you shold listen to speakers before you buy (or keep). the ideal place to do so being an unbiased area. if you must go to a retail dealer make sure to stay away from the pimple faced sales oriented types. smile.gif

I must agree with Ray here. It is important to get exposed to several different manufacturers before you decide. For me, it was the first time I heard a pair of Heresy's. After listening to different mfg. of the day (a/d/s, Boston Acoustics, Polk, etc.) I found Klipsch to be unbelievably different in every way! Some people I have come in contact with do not feel that way.

I even spent a small time in my life selling Klipsch, as well as other respected mfg. I found that no matter how much I loved the Klipsch sound, design philosophy, and company philosophy, I just could not sell them on the sound of Klipsch.

Since that time, I think that Klipsch has come full circle in offering more speaker lines that suit more diverse taste in speakers, as well as price. I am not so much trying to steer you away from Klipsch as I am trying to get you to try different brands. If you find Klipsch to be the speaker that has no match, like I did -- So much the better. I think that will explain why so many of us have such a passion for these speakers!

KLIPSCH -- LIVE LONG AND PROSPER -- YOU ROCK!

My personal favorite speakers are NHT. They are exactly what they advertise... The best speaker for the money, Better than others costing thousands more. NHT's are great for HT and they rule for music. Now I just wish I had more NHT speakers...

I don't really think Klipsch are that good at music, but they are great for movies.

I will put my money in Klipsch, over the years I have owned and listened to several other brands, but for the sound, performance and value NONE have come close!!!

Chorus IIs mains

KLF 20s rear

C-7 center

KSB 3.1 front effects

For music and HT Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

Cruzer

Ray is giving some very sage advice.

We here obviously favor Klipsch. Still, it is best if after making a purchase you can calmly tell yourself it was based on considered contemplation of other speakers.

Gil