Heresy vertical soundstage when placed on floor

Skylinestar

Since the Heresy III is designed to be placed on the floor, how's the vertical soundstage? Does everything sound "lower"?

I'm planning to get one as a center speaker for home theater. When placed on the floor, how's the dialogue reproduction? Will it sound as if it's coming from below the screen?

What's the angle dispersion of the horn?

Since the Heresy III is designed to be placed on the floor, how's the vertical soundstage? Does everything sound "lower"?

I'm planning to get one as a center speaker for home theater. When placed on the floor, how's the dialogue reproduction? Will it sound as if it's coming from below the screen?

What's the angle dispersion of the horn?

IMO, it will sound like it is coming from below the screen, compared to your Left Front and Right Front speakers.

It could be argued that it is designed to be placed on the floor, because it can use the bass reinforcement the floor provides, but it's O.K. for a center speaker in a home theater to be a little bass shy -- elevation might make the dialog crisper.  I've seen many Heresy IIs that are off the floor (including my surrounds), so I'd think it would be O.K. for a Heresy III, which is reputed to have a little more bass, to be off the floor.  You will probably be crossing over to your subwoofer at about 80HZ, anyway.

• Like 1

All center channel speakers, except those placed directly behind the screen, rely on your eyes to "trick" your mind into believing that the sound is coming from the screen. So if you stare at the center channel, the sound will be easily localizable as coming from the speaker. So the closer to the screen the better. I keep my Heresy on the floor, next to the wall, where it was designed to perform its best.

I've found that it's quite easy to shut my eyes and point at the center loudspeaker midrange horn location while it's playing, quite accurately.  This is a clue to how to position your center.  I've also found that it's fairly critical to get the array of midrange horns at the same height all the way around in order to achieve a smooth and consistent surround soundstage image.  The center channel is the most critical to get on a horizontal line with the left and right front loudspeakers.  I'd recommend moving the TV upwards by mounting it on the wall (if it isn't already) to achieve this. 

It is possible to tilt the entire surround sound array up or down at the back of the array, as in having the surrounds slightly higher than the front three loudspeakers, but not by a lot.

One way to improve the bass performance of an elevated center is to build a sturdy box stand beneath the center that is the same or greater dimensions as the base of the speaker all the way to the floor--no "gaps" beneath the center loudspeaker to the floor.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I'd recommend moving the TV upwards by mounting it on the wall (if it isn't already) to achieve this. 

as an audio guy, sure you would. but in reality the center of the tv needs to be at eye level when sitting down. tv's mounted above fireplaces or unnecessarily high in order to accommodate furniture or speakers drives me batshit crazy.

so, obviously, there's always a compromise somewhere.

• Like 4

I've found that it's quite easy to shut my eyes and point at the center loudspeaker midrange horn location while it's playing, quite accurately.  This is a clue to how to position your center.  I've also found that it's fairly critical to get the array of midrange horns at the same height all the way around in order to achieve a smooth and consistent surround soundstage image.  The center channel is the most critical to get on a horizontal line with the left and right front loudspeakers.  I'd recommend moving the TV upwards by mounting it on the wall (if it isn't already) to achieve this. 

It is possible to tilt the entire surround sound array up or down at the back of the array, as in having the surrounds slightly higher than the front three loudspeakers, but not by a lot.

One way to improve the bass performance of an elevated center is to build a sturdy box stand beneath the center that is the same or greater dimensions as the base of the speaker all the way to the floor--no "gaps" beneath the center loudspeaker to the floor.

Chris

Chris

I understand the principle of getting the horns aligned but when I am finally set up I will be using 2 Ks and Belle, you would recommend raising the Belle up?

TY

Mark

• Like 1

as an audio guy, sure you would.

As a [EDIT: former] moderator on the Klipsch forum, if you're not an "audio guy", then what are you proposing that anyone be that visits here?

...but in reality the center of the tv needs to be at eye level when sitting down.

I simply don't agree.

med_gallery_26262_6_1571719.jpg

tv's mounted above fireplaces or unnecessarily high in order to accommodate furniture or speakers drives me batshit crazy. so, obviously, there's always a compromise somewhere.

Some of that argument is worth addressing if it were put forth in a manner inviting discussion...except the colorful language of course, and the implied assertion that something unnecessary has been suggested. 

Bad day?  Is there anything that I can do to help?

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Well, this is the Home Theater section so there is more to consider than just audio fidelity. As such, i think video presentation should be given equal consideration and not just an afterthought. And in that context, I think the center of the screen should be as close to eye height as possible and not relegated to secondary consideration, as is often the case.

I'm certainly not trying to be cranky, merely snarky. But I've spent 8 months exposed to the filthy underbelly of the forum (especially so this year I think) and it has hardened my approach. I apologize for that and will work to be more lighthearted in my snark.

• Like 1

Chris I understand the principle of getting the horns aligned but when I am finally set up I will be using 2 Ks and Belle, you would recommend raising the Belle up? TY Mark

Yes.  I tried the center in various configurations and heights (below and above the Jub K-402s).  When I got the Belle midrange horn up to the level of the K-402s, it was pretty spectacular in terms of the difference in sound.  I found that being within a few degrees inches of the same elevation angle from my viewing/listening chair made all the difference in the world.  Since it worked so well in my setup, I'm taking the time to suggest it to others.

There are other little secrets that I've found to HT sound setups: getting the FR of all channels flat to within +/-2 dB of each other (especially the center WRT the fronts), controlling the nearfield sound reflections within 0.7 ms of the exit from all the midrange horn mouths, moving the surrounds around to be slightly in front of the 90 degree point from the centerline of the center channel, and getting the ability to stand or sit to enjoy my music and video--all of these things are not widely publicized for surround sound arrays, but that had a tremendous effect on the resulting sound.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I'm certainly not trying to be cranky, merely snarky...I apologize for that and will work to be more lighthearted in my snark.

No worries!  Have a good one.

Chris

TV's that are placed higher than eye level tend to give me a stiff neck in a matter of minutes. The higher the tv is, the quicker and worse the stiff neck will be. It multiplies greatly when the tv is high AND  to the right or left side of the seating position. Try looking up and to the side for more than  minutes while watching tv, makes my neck hurt just thinking about it.. This is just my experience and opinion only. 

• Like 1

TV's that are placed higher than eye level tend to give me a stiff neck in a matter of minutes.
What kind of chair are you sitting in?  I've found that there are a lot of not-very-supportive chairs that are sold as "HT chairs" that don't work very well to support the upper body and that are adjustable. 

Chris

As far as Heresys on the floor... I never really liked the sound of heresys on the floor. My favorite position for Heresys has been: Midrange horn at ear level, with a good amount of toe in.  They can look a bit awkward being high off the floor, but it really lets you all the details in music. Again, just my opinion. 

TV's that are placed higher than eye level tend to give me a stiff neck in a matter of minutes.
What kind of chair are you sitting in?  I've found that there are a lot of not-very-supportive chairs that are sold as "HT chairs" that don't work very well to support the upper body and that are adjustable. 

Chris

I wasn't sitting on a chair, but rather a sectional sofa... Very awkward looking up and to the right.. I dont know how to describe the sofa... it  was just a regular  sectional sofa that seats about 6 people... has cushions for back support, but not too much for the neck... I have a similar sofa in my living room, but the center of my 60 inch tv is eye level. It provides a very comfortable tv or movie watching experience.

Jason

I'd recommend moving the TV upwards by mounting it on the wall (if it isn't already) to achieve this. 

as an audio guy, sure you would. but in reality the center of the tv needs to be at eye level when sitting down. tv's mounted above fireplaces or unnecessarily high in order to accommodate furniture or speakers drives me batshit crazy.

so, obviously, there's always a compromise somewhere.

I am with you on this one Thad. Having a TV too high is extremely bothersome in my opinion.  This was actually the deciding factor for me with going for a "Phantom" center as it was not worth elevating my TV up more to accommodate a Heresy that will be below my LaScalas anyway.

Chris

Chris

I understand the principle of getting the horns aligned but when I am finally set up I will be using 2 Ks and Belle, you would recommend raising the Belle up?

TY

Mark

I did, with exactly those speakers, but I flush mounted the Belle in the wall behind an acoustically transparent screen (there is a bump-out in the room to make room for the rear of the Belle behind the wall).   Flush mounting it provides some bass reinforcement.  I had a difficult time deciding whether to cross it over to the sub at 80, 60, or 40Hz.  The height of all the midrange horns should be the same, if possible, IMO.  Instrumental sound sounds the same height all the way across.  We also experimented with replacing the Belle mid-horn with one identical to those in the Khorns (that required building a new top for the Belle), and, with the help of Audyssey, it worked well.   HTs are so few and far between that I haven't experienced many, but we prefer the visual image and sound in ours to the others we have visited, especially those in stereo/HT stores!  

An AT screen and projector solves a lot of problems, including getting the front speakers' midranges at the same height, while keeping the image at eye level when seated.  We were not going to go with an AT screen & Projector at first, but Bill Hendrix on this forum convinced us (probably without knowing it).  The Seymour screen we both use only loses about 1 dB at the top of the frequency range, and Audyssey fixes that handily.  The cost seemed to not be too high compared to building the room itself, although we watched every penny for a while after, to make up for the splurge.

Edited by garyrc