Another F-20 Build

Pete H

Depends, Rockhound.  My system will be down in the RMHC and I have an advisor for audio playback whose name you would know that I am not going to mention at the moment who will be setting it up.  If he wants to use something else then it will be sold as I don't have a place for it in the upstairs residence.  

I am hoping he'll want to use it.  Then, I can write it off my taxes!  This being an NPO is a GOOD thing.  Get to tax deduct your pleasures.

Dave

Good luck with your project,  you will have a big :)  when you integrate this monster into your system.  I sure did!

As you read the assembly instructions,  some of the panels are trim to fit.  The cut list dimensions on these are oversize to allow this.

I made these trim to fit panels,  plus the 3 bevel cuts before final assembly.  Otherwise it is back to measure and cut in the middle of the build.

I did all the cuts to length and then went back and cut the angles on the panels as I did the dry assembly and cut things to fit.

I normally cut one panel at a time.  My first build I cut them all at once and ended up trimming as I went.  I also now make the sides about a 1/16" bigger all around and flush cut them with a router once everything is together.  It's easier than trying to glue a perfect edge.

Sure, now you tell me. LOL Once I laid out the panel and took a strip of BB to mark the entire layout I just made the final cuts, with the exception of the rear panel that should be the correct size on the cut list but wasn't.

Build looks good Pete, pics are nice.

Does your plywood have a good enough finish to eliminate any veneer or coating and finish it with a stain?

That's the plan, but the edges will still have to have edge bands applied and it may need to be veneered in the end because it's been a PITA to try and eliminate all of the exterior fasteners.

post-32129-0-76960000-1451739924_thumb.jpost-32129-0-47880000-1451738848_thumb.j

Bad pic, I know, but as I stated, I'm not a photographer.

post-32129-0-51400000-1451739372_thumb.j

Decided to build a jig right away that will be used for panel installation, access panel cut as well as the second layout and any future builds.  This took a whopping 30 minutes and I would highly recommend it.  I should have used this same method for the SPUD build instead of routing out an entire panel of 1/4" material.

post-32129-0-12640000-1451739741_thumb.j

Braces all glued and fastened.  Don't use PL or anything like that for this application.  Any form of wood glue us more than adequate.

post-32129-0-76960000-1451739924_thumb.j

Not pretty, just really functional and light weight, and when I'm done, this can hang on the wall completely out of the way for future use.

Edited by Pete H

post-32129-0-62520000-1451740765_thumb.j

No substitute for a good plunge router, great circle jig and the best bit you can find.

post-32129-0-64000000-1451740824_thumb.j

Aligned and stacked the boards and screwed them together so they will be cut identical.

post-32129-0-82400000-1451740865_thumb.j

And there you have it!

Edited by Pete H

is .05" really close enough though?

IMO, absolutely.  You're talking about 3/64 of an inch and when you consider that you will have variances in panel thickness, cuts, marking, placement, pencil thickness, heck, even the thickness of the bead of PL that oozes out on the inside of the panel, braces (that to the best of my knowledge weren't even part of the performance calculations when the design was done)  My point is, I believe that the average person gets overwhelmed when deciding to do a lot of builds because they get hung up on miniscule details because they don't have confidence and are overwhelmed when something isn't perfect, and they need to relax and go into it realizing that perfection isn't going to happen.  I've been building for a long time but this won't be a build without mistakes, and I'm actually going to point those out because I hope that they will help someone decide to build something that in the end, will have been an enjoyable experience with great practical performance results.  But hey, I could be wrong. :huh:  

• Like 1

IMO, absolutely.  You're talking about 3/64 of an inch and when you consider that you will have variances in panel thickness, cuts, marking, placement, pencil thickness, heck, even the thickness of the bead of PL that oozes out on the inside of the panel, braces (that to the best of my knowledge weren't even part of the performance calculations when the design was done)  My point is, I believe that the average person gets overwhelmed when deciding to do a lot of builds because they get hung up on miniscule details because they don't have confidence and are overwhelmed when something isn't perfect, and they need to relax and go into it realizing that perfection isn't going to happen.  I've been building for a long time but this won't be a build without mistakes, and I'm actually going to point those out because I hope that they will help someone decide to build something that in the end, will have been an enjoyable experience with great practical performance results.  But hey, I could be wrong. :huh:  

I agree 100% Pete!

The F-20 may be a musical instrument of sorts, but is not like we are building a Bösendorfer. :rolleyes:

Edited by HPower

post-32129-0-75000000-1451764165_thumb.jpost-32129-0-57720000-1451764273_thumb.j

Many pocket screws needed to be drilled and prior to drilling pilot holes for the T-nuts I wanted to make sure things were centered.

post-32129-0-06040000-1451764245_thumb.jpost-32129-0-42680000-1451764367_thumb.j

When everything was centered and marked, I just used the drill through the back of the driver holes to center up for the T-nuts

post-32129-0-88680000-1451764450_thumb.j

Motor board cut at 14", but I would take this in tighter the next time because I wasn't thrilled with the T-nut placement at all.

I agree 100% Pete!

The F-20 may be a musical instrument of sorts, but is not like we are building a Bösendorfer. :rolleyes:

I've used that term (not building a piano) countless times during my career. 

Edited by Pete H

post-32129-0-47640000-1451773345_thumb.jLets start panel assembly.

post-32129-0-25840000-1451773413_thumb.jNotice the angle bracket on the left and the tape, this will be explained later.

post-32129-0-90120000-1451773567_thumb.j

The angle brackets are installed to try and keep the pocket screws from pulling the panels too far, and the tape is to keep the clean up of the PL to a minimum..

Gotta love a Jasper Jig.  Lookin Good!

Correct on both counts Carl.

I finally broke down and bought a Jasper jig this year, they do work great!!!

Up until then I was using a scrap piece of plexiglass that I had mounted to my router and then measured out my desired radius and drilled a hole for the pivot point.

it worked, but it did involve a bit of trial and error... with the Jasper it's, 1st time, every time. :emotion-21: :emotion-21: