What a great way to start a new year! Klipsch RP-160M's ....

joeinid

Without you guys, I may not have taken the plunge. Thank you all for advice, help and recommendations.

Wishing you a very Happy and Safe New Year.

I just received my Klipsch RP-160M and with only a few songs on these babies, I am very happy. More to come.

Yesterday I also got the KEF LS50. I have to say both are great. The little "bigger actually" RP-160M's are pretty awesome.

There's a ton of fun in small packages.

post-62038-0-59600000-1451578943_thumb.j

post-62038-0-94480000-1451578959_thumb.j

• Like 4

Without you guys, I may not have taken the plunge. Thank you all for advice, help and recommendations.

Wishing you a very Happy and Safe New Year.

I just received my Klipsch RP-160M and with only a few songs on these babies, I am very happy. More to come.

Yesterday I also got the KEF LS50. I have to say both are great. The little "bigger actually" RP-160M's are pretty awesome.

There's a ton of fun in small packages.

I have heard the 160's are a pretty big step up from the old lines.  The new horn and what I am assuming is a newer driver at least appear to be better quality.

• Like 1

I thought for the size, the KEF's had nice bass response and nice mids and highs. Maybe not as crisp as the Klipsch? That was my take anyways. Imaging was nice as well.I listened in an AV place and they were pulled into the room and about 15 feet apart from each other and I was about the same distance from them. They were about 8-10 feet from the back walls and another 5-6 from the side walls.

It was where I also saw my 1st pair of speakers that cost over $100,000.00.

The LS50 have exceptionally smooth polars and as a result tend to bring lots of flexibility with placement and general friendliness to various acoustic environments.  I suspect their pattern may be a bit wider than the Klipsch (just a guess, I would love to see good full measurements of the 160's), but with that woof diameter, that horn, and that crossover point, the Klipsch look to be on target for nice smooth off axis performance.  If the Klipsch indeed throw a narrower pattern, you could do things like cross firing (to take of time/intensity trading in order to expand the sweet spot), a trick that a wider dispersion speaker cannot pull off.  Just some things to play around with while you're at it.   

Does one pull of the "disappearing act" better than the other?  

Not to nitpick, but Klipschvoxx is at it again with the exaggerated specs.  There is no freakin way that a driver that small in a cab that small can achieve both 40 hz extension and 98 db sensitivity.  They may be quite a bit more sensitive than the KEFs, but what's claimed seems a bit, um, optimistic. 

Edited by Ski Bum
  • Like 1

Not to nitpick, but Klipschvoxx is at it again with the exaggerated specs. There is no freakin way that a driver that small in a cab that small can achieve both 40 hz extension and 98 db sensitivity. They may be quite a bit more sensitive than the KEFs, but what's claimed seems a bit, um, optimistic.

The 160 cabinets are surprisingly deep. I'd pin the sensitivity more around the 95db area, but the 40hz extension is definitely true.

• Like 2

The LS50 might be a little wider in the sound stage, but I'd have to go back to them to find out.

I am having way too much fun with the Klipsch to go back to the KEF right now :D.

One thing I have to say is from another room, the Klipsch sound amazing. Like the band in the room, literally. Speakers that sound incredible in the next room to me, in my opinion, usually sound better in the same room too. ;)

Edited by joeinid
  • Like 1