What a great way to start a new year! Klipsch RP-160M's ....

joeinid

Just for fun I hooked up my Bryston 28BSST2's to my RP-160M's. The same preamp is being used, a Conrad Johnson GAT. The Jolida Fusion 3502 was only being used as an amp.

Different presentation for sure. The 28's have tremendous control and bass. It feels like they go a little lower. The amps are dead cold and need to warm up. But so far, amazing!

Hey, just to clarify an earlier point, the speaker with narrower pattern is perfectly capable of casting a very wide image.  Think about it this way: a wider dispersion speaker, even one with textbook perfect off axis behavior like the KEF, will necessarily involve local acoustics to a greater degree.  When implemented properly, speakers with narrower patterns sidestep early reflections, allowing them to pull off a striking facsimile of near-field type sound quality, where the sonic ambient cues from the source, rather than your local acoustics, paints the image in your mind's eye.  If the recording was done in a large venue and captured a lot of the reflected sound, the resulting image will be quite wide.  

• Like 2

What's the general consensus on toe in? Do you run your speakers straight ahead or with a little bit of toe in? I think mine sound a little better almost perfectly straight ahead......

Edited by joeinid

My 75's are set to where my seating position is the main corner of an 8' x 8' x 8' equilateral triangle.  They are toed in to where they shoot straight a bit behind my ears.  I have adjusted toe in and width apart quite a few times to get it just about "right".

Bill

post-24680-0-60840000-1452213575_thumb.j

Edited by willland
  • Like 2

What's the general consensus on toe in? Do you run your speakers straight ahead or with a little bit of toe in? I think mine sound a little better almost perfectly straight ahead......

That's really all that matters!  Toe-in, it all depends, MLP, distance to MLP, distance between speakers, desired sweat spot/s, ect.  To many variable for an easy answer. :)

Guys, I am blown away by how amazing these little speakers sound. I'm giddy.

I'm embarrassed to count up some of the money that I p*ssed away thinking I'm buying "the best". Here right in front of my face are a stellar pair of Klipsch speakers. If this is a dream, I don't want to wake up.

• Like 3

Guys, I am blown away by how amazing these little speakers sound. I'm giddy.

I'm embarrassed to count up some of the money that I p*ssed away thinking I'm buying "the best". Here right in front of my face are a stellar pair of Klipsch speakers. If this is a dream, I don't want to wake up.

How do you think the smaller RP-150M's would be as computer monitors?

Bill

• Like 1

What's the general consensus on toe in?

Not sure a consensus actually exists.  

I get the best results with heavy toe in, such that the axis cross in front of the main listening position.  This approach helps avoid spraying side walls with treble, and takes advantage of time/intensity trading to laterally expand the sweet spot.  Less toe in, on the other hand, usually improves the sweet spot, but shrinks it a bit too, to only those prime midline/equidistant listening positions.

Try it every which way and go with what works best for your particular application.     

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Without you guys, I may not have taken the plunge. Thank you all for advice, help and recommendations.

Wishing you a very Happy and Safe New Year.

I just received my Klipsch RP-160M and with only a few songs on these babies, I am very happy. More to come.

Yesterday I also got the KEF LS50. I have to say both are great. The little "bigger actually" RP-160M's are pretty awesome.

There's a ton of fun in small packages.

What stands are you using and what height are they?

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

Hi,

What's your first name?

I am using old 36" tall mdf stands that are filled with sand in the center column. I probably ordered them from Audio Advisor back in the day. I've never seen them again. They are probably a few inches too tall, but I feel it's not a problem. I am researching new stands now but it's not a priority.

Whatever you do, get something solid so they will not fall over or off the stands. Mine seem very stable so I feel good about it.

Without you guys, I may not have taken the plunge. Thank you all for advice, help and recommendations.

I just received my Klipsch RP-160M and with only a few songs on these babies, I am very happy. More to come.

Yesterday I also got the KEF LS50. I have to say both are great. The little "bigger actually" RP-160M's are pretty awesome.

Thank you for the response.

Right now I am using just a little toe in and it seems fine with me. I will be experimenting more with toe in, but I love what I am hearing.

What's the general consensus on toe in?

Not sure a consensus actually exists.  

I get the best results with heavy toe in, such that the axis cross in front of the main listening position.  This approach helps avoid spraying side walls with treble, and takes advantage of time/intensity trading to laterally expand the sweet spot.  Less toe in, on the other hand, usually improves the sweet spot, but shrinks it a bit too, to only those prime midline/equidistant listening positions.

Try it every which way and go with what works best for your particular application.     

Hi,

What's your first name?

I am using old 36" tall mdf stands that are filled with sand in the center column. I probably ordered them from Audio Advisor back in the day. I've never seen them again. They are probably a few inches too tall, but I feel it's not a problem. I am researching new stands now but it's not a priority.

Whatever you do, get something solid so they will not fall over or off the stands. Mine seem very stable so I feel good about it.

My name is Chris and yours is Joe?, I'm building some stand for them. They will have a top and base that will be a little wider than the speakers base and close to 3 inches deeper than the base. I guess the stand height is around 30" tall to get the tweeter to ear level. I have some measuring to do.

Hi Chris,

Yes. My name is Joe.

I think 30" will be perfect. My floor is carpeted but the speaker/stand feels very stable to me.

I know you will love the speakers. And, the Yamaha seems like a great integrated.

Enjoy my friend!

It's all about the music.

Hi,

What's your first name?

My name is Chris and yours is Joe?, I'm building some stand for them. They will have a top and base that will be a little wider than the speakers base and close to 3 inches deeper than the base. I guess the stand height is around 30" tall to get the tweeter to ear level. I have some measuring to do.

• Like 1

Hi Chris,

Yes. My name is Joe.

I think 30" will be perfect. My floor is carpeted but the speaker/stand feels very stable to me.

I know you will love the speakers. And, the Yamaha seems like a great integrated.

Enjoy my friend!

It's all about the music.

Hi,

What's your first name?

Thanks Joe. I agree, it's all about the music.

Hi there!

I´m having a really hard time finding reviews of these Klipsch RP-150/160M and I had to create an account here to ask for some input. I´m looking around for a new pair of bookshelf speakers, and here in Portugal it´s nearly impossible to listen to anything from Klipsch, but I´m fairly interested in these models from the Reference lineup. I´m really glad I stumbled this post as the RP-160 are compared with the LS-50! Are the Klipschs too far away from the Kefs regarding soundstage width, depth, image specificity, coherence?

The RP-150M seem like a tremendous value at 370€ a pair in a spanish webstore, and I´m willing to try something different from the norm, such as Monitor Audio, Wharfedale, Tannoy...

Lookwise, they look stunning! :D

p.s.: I hope I´m not thread jacking, and please excuse my poor english writing skills!