Speakers for tube amps

baronkyle

Hi,

I have an Eico HF-81 that is currently being restored. Once home, I'll connect it to my Klipsch KG4. I listen in a medium sized square room at medium/moderate volume levels. I know pretty much anything from the Heritage line works well.

What are some other speaker options? Does anything by Altec, JBL, Others(?) play nicely with lower wattage, vintage tube gear?

Welcome to the forum.

Usually what most tube guys with experience say and what amp builders say, is you want the speaker to be efficient, at least 88db for some, more for others. The Heritage line is so good with them due to their higher ratings as well as other lines within Klipsch. Even their entry level speakers (Best Buy) sound good with tubes.

I would think any speakers that are above 88db would do well,and the higher up the scale with efficiency,the better they will sound.I run entry level,the original rf and heritage lines and have no problems.You will though hear a difference in how loud they go in the lower ended models not as efficient.

I actually listened to a set up by a DIY'er that had Altec horns,2 home made horned mid bass bins, and a horned sub bin, along with DIY tweeters in what looked to be an oversized paper towel core with the tweeters in them. They were 4 way speakers all run through tubes and an external crossover network. Best sounding set up I have ever heard (that's not saying much though).

Edited by Jim

Looking for other 'non-Klipsch' options you guys have liked or heard. Just brainstorming a little. Love my KG4 though.

Another kit to go along with JPM's suggestion.  This one's a little different in that it's a mltl type enclosure that brings fairly deep (40 hz or so) and tight (non resonant) bass.  I really like this approach for bass, even though there is a sensitivity penalty compared to a back loaded horn.  Even with bsc (which it demands for proper tonal balance IMO) it's still pretty sensitive at ~94db/w.  The TB drivers are not exactly cheap, but not too terribly expensive.  I like them better than the Fostex I've tried.

Edited by Ski Bum
  • Like 1

Chorus II and Forte II.

Jimbo, you made me think of another question. How exactly are the chorus and forte 2 different from the 1?

I know at some point they introduce the titanium membrane horns.

Chorus 1 uses a mid horn which is the same horn used in the Heresy models. The Chorus ll uses a larger hybrid tractrix mid horn which is a MUCH better horn. The Chorus ll uses a large 15" passive radiator rather than a pair of small vents the passive does the job better and with lower distortion than the factory vents in the Chorus. Both speakers use the exact same woofer and K79 tweeter. You can also check out the specs for both models on the Klipsch Australia site. Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 2

Looking for other 'non-Klipsch' options you guys have liked or heard. Just brainstorming a little. Love my KG4 though.

What's "non-Klipsch"???? You mean, like, Bose? Lol
Jimbo, we never say that four letter word. Henceforth...Bo.....Boldemort.

Thank you for recommending Klipsch Au for specs. Wonder why the US site doesn't have it. It's helpful.

Edited by baronkyle

What's "non-Klipsch"???? You mean, like, Bose? Lol
Jimbo, we never say that four letter word. Henceforth...Bo.....Boldemort.

Thank you for recommending Klipsch Au for specs. Wonder why the US site doesn't have it. It's helpful.

Long story....ask Chad....

Cornwalls will sing with the Eico HF-81.  The KG4's are a little low on efficiency to bring the best out of that amp.  For a non-Klipsch option, a pair of Altec Lansing 19's would be similar to Cornwalls (good luck finding a pair).  

Edited by Seadog
  • Like 2