Help, may have to paint RS-41 II speaker white!

Gentle Ben

My wife is a champ and has allowed me to upgrade to a 9.2.2 Atmos system as an anniversary/Christmas present. Included purchasing new RF-7 IIs fronts, RC-64 II center, a pair of R-115SW subs, a pair of CDT-5800 C II ceilings, and a pair of small RS-41 IIs for front heights; and a Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3050 receiver. (Already had very good Reference series II sides and rears, as well as an Emotiva XPA-7.)

I said all this because she has a stern request to go along with her generosity and I'm not old enough to go celibate: She wants the small, black RS-41s painted white to match her newly done light gray walls and white ceiling. Flat or pearl white would be fine.

Can I spray paint these speakers with success? Automotive paint or regular paint store spray paint? Bring them to a body shop or other pro? Biggest question: The black grilles? Yes, she wants the grilles on them, and painted white or light gray. Is this possible? Does Klipsch sell white grilles?

Only other choice would be me trying to convince her I need to spend another $400 for a pair of white ceiling speakers. (Location would be difficult in attic.)

Any suggestion appreciated!

A person experienced with spraying can or gun, would not be asking this.

No offence, everybody has their skills.

Like Dirty Harry sed - "Every man has got to know his limitations".

If you have the budget, bring them to a small local kitchen cabinet shop that does in house spraying. Not all, but many do in house finishing.

Of those, some will do white paint. 

Most do only "Stain and "lacquer""

Or to a small privately owned body shop.

Re the grilles- will be difficult to get them really white with paint for a few reasons.

Better to replace the cloth if you can.

Alternately - IF --IF-- you have spray can  and surface prep experience, you might do it for like $20.(other than the grilles).

my thoughts, YMMV, Lars

• Like 1

They can easily be painted.

By you, IF - IF- you have surface prep and spray experience for like $20 material cost, 

If not,like $100 - $150 ballpark in a cabinet shop that does paint, not just stain and laquer jobs, or a small body shop.

The grilles will need ALOT of paint from varying angles to make them look truly "white"

Probably better to replace the cloth.  Lars

You can get some white Duratex and peel off the vinyl, sand them down, and then roll it on. Real simple job. Then recover the covers in white speaker cloth..

Or contact the OP on this thread.   https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/160370-refurbished-kg-35/

I heard that somewhere before^^^^^

Mark

Just expanded on it slightly.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas -- yes, I can paint -- should have asked about prep up front. Concern is about surface needing certain type or brand of paint and then more importantly the grille. Where do I get grille cloth? From Klipsch? Hobby Lobby?

As for those with ceiling speakers -- I have not yet actually picked up the CDT-5800 II C pair, just gotten "permission" to add this everything I have received, installed or have on order.

So, anything else that would go well with my Klipsch RF setup. 5800s are pricy if I need to get two more. Something that will "match" Klipsch sound, timbre, etc? Thanks again.

Simple cheap - How about recovering as wvu80 sed, with quality contact "shelf" paper vinyl right onto the existing surface???

I mean, unless they're really prominent for visual scrutiny.

And really, even then, with some patience and a fresh razor knife, still may be adequate.

Then new white cloth, and Bobs yer uncle.  LarsLars

• Like 1