Tidal hifi?

robbiey60

Anyone here tried tidal hifi? I tried it just the other day and am pretty impressed with the quality. I have always been an HT guy but ever since I purchased my 83s I have been more 2ch than ever before, probably around 70/30 music/ht right now. Prior to tidal I was only streaming youtube for the majority of my music so this is definitely a step up. I have tidal streaming off the web browser on my gaming pc, audio set to 16bit 44.1khz on the pc audio settings to match the content. Audio is sent from my gtx970 via hdmi to my old onkyo 705 used as pre/pro sending the signal to my NAD and rf83s. I do not use audyssey on ht or 2ch anymore and have a seperate sub eq and very basic "room treatments" consisting of throw rugs hung at the 1st reflection points. Laugh if you will but using the clap test I went from a distinct sharp echo when clapping in the room to none at all just with wall hangings. I also switch from 2.0-2.1 depending on music genre and/or mood.

If any here are running tidal hifi what are connections, methods and reasons? 

Hi

Happy new year to you too.

I love streaming Tidal. I also love Spotify, Pandora, Radio Tunes and a few other services. I use my computer, a Wyred 4 Sound modified Sonus player and mostly a Lumin streaming player with built in support for Tidal. It's wonderful. Sounds awesome and I have the world at my fingertips.

Yes, but after the Jay-Z acquisition there was a heavy shift in Hip-Hop and Pop with the recommendation engine and new releases. And they've had 3 CEO's since that time.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6784736/tidal-jeff-toig-ceo-qa

Tidal, pre-Jay-Z showed great promise, but it's just not worth the premium price if it will simply be used to augment one's owned media. Spotify is plenty sufficient for that.

I've been using Tidal for about 4 months and I love it. I play it thru a Squeezebox Touch connected to a Qnap Nas. I control everything via a iPad air. It works great .

I am a bit behind with all the new airplay tech and am reasonably new to pc in general, what is a squeezebox and a qnap and what are their functions if you dont mind me asking?

A Squeezebox Touch is a device that accesses the music files on your computer to play on your music system. It was discontinued by the manufacturer (logitech) about 2 years ago. Why I don't know. You can find used ones on e-bay. Q-nap is a company that makes nas systems (network attached storage). This is a sort of specialized computer for large storage purposes. For example mine has 2 2 terabyte hard drives enabling me to keep thousands of cd's on one device. Sorry if my explanation is not too clear but there is literally mountains of information about this stuff on the internet.

• Like 2

I play it through my MacBook Pro into an Emotiva DC-1 via USB to my Emotiva XSP-1, Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks to my Klipschorns. Love it! It's a great hifi streaming service when I'm not listening to high def files, vinyl, or CD's.

Edited by Trentster5172

I play it through my MacBook Pro into an Emotiva DC-1 via USB to my Emotiva XSP-1, Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks to my Klipschorns. Love it! It's a great hifi streaming service when I'm not listening to high def files, vinyl, or CD's.

How does the quality compare to physical media on that(awesome)setup? I only have a few cds and cannot tell any difference on my 83s

Call me old fashioned, but I will always take my own physical media over streaming media. Why? Because all it takes is a dip in bandwidth to make the streaming service say "gotcha" when they promised 1411 kbps. It can be their fault, or your own fault. With physical media, I never have to worry about that. Thus, I will always prefer the sound of a physical disc or vinyl.

In addition, the less steps it takes to get to your amplifier, the better. A CD Transport or good BDP right to your amp is going to sound better, IMO.

• Like 1

Call me old fashioned, but I will always take my own physical media over streaming media. Why? Because all it takes is a dip in bandwidth to make the streaming service say "gotcha" when they promised 1411 kbps. It can be their fault, or your own fault. With physical media, I never have to worry about that. Thus, I will always prefer the sound of a physical disc or vinyl.

In addition, the less steps it takes to get to your amplifier, the better. A CD Transport or good BDP right to your amp is going to sound better, IMO.

You old fart

You old fart

post-58712-0-13120000-1452070597_thumb.j

• Like 1

How does the quality compare to physical media on that(awesome)setup? I only have a few cds and cannot tell any difference on my 83s
Sorry I missed your post. Tidal is definitely CD quality and on par with my Oppo BDP-83SE playing CD's. The 96-192k 24 bit downloaded music I have is amazing! I prefer good vinyl the best. Edited by Trentster5172
  • Like 1

Sorry I missed your post. Tidal is definitely CD quality and on par with my Oppo BDP-83SE playing CD's. The 96-192k downloaded music I have is amazing!
Very nice! Good to know it is actually cd quality as this is my main/only music source now. Movies and bd are a different story lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...

Thanks for the explanation here! As a music addict, I would like to listen to music with high audio quality. Tidal is almost meet my needs. But it won't allow to play the music on other platforms. Luckily, I found a tool called AudFree Tidal Audio Converter to help me and it works well.

• Like 1

An old thread but I too am interested in thoughts on Tidal and perhaps Amazon HD.  As a Prime member I can get Amazon for $12.99/month.  I think Tidal is $19.99.  Not concerned about the price difference though I had rather not support Jay Z unless the sound quality is compelling.

Thoughts appreciated.

• Like 2