Tidal hifi?

robbiey60

I am using Tidal in conjunction with Roon software and it has excellent sound quality.  Many of the titles are in 24/96 resolution.  If you have MQA decoding it would likely be even better.  I am streaming thru an Exasound Playpoint streamer with an Exasound E32 dac.

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2020 at 12:56 PM, Kalifornian said:

I didnt notice a difference with mqa. Got rid of the node 2i and went to a small intel NUC pc running usb out to my parasound preamp dac and notice a difference using Amazon music hifi. 

Hmm.. I definitely noticed a difference between MQA and the standard CD quality. But that said I'd say 60% of the time I preferred the CD quality version .

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

An old but really helpful thread! I care about both music quality and music genre. Tidal is quite awesome for rap fan cuz it has extra content like interviews and music vids and expansive liner notes. They do have hip hop/rap/R&B very front and centre. And I am lucky to use my AudKit which could be the best streamer for Tidal. It does help me to download Tidal songs on the computer for offline playback.

6 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I have used both but settled in with Qobuz. I think the SQ is better than Tidal.

Shakey

I agree on Qobuz being awesome, but have not tried tidal. Have tried, Spotify, Qobuz, and Amazon HD. Amazon and Qobuz currently sound better than Spotify, but I enjoy using Spotify so much more than either that I only kept Spotify. Main reason being Spotify Connect. App on my McIntosh streamer sucks when it tries to Qobuz or Amazon HD. I am so damn excited for “Spotify HiFi” to come out later this year. Will finally have best of both worlds.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:43 AM, Tarheel said:

I just ordered a Blue Sound Node 2i which can decode MQA recordings I think.  First venture into streaming so we will see.

Node 2 is a good one.  You can stream right to your DAC.

• 2 weeks later...

Since 1.5 years I am very happy with Tidal MQA via a Bluesound Node 2i. (EDIT: since mid of June 2021 I swapped for a new Bluessound Node which is definitely worth the upgrade).

- The difference between MQA and CD res is audible if you compare the same recording. BTW the Bluesound also offers excellent Tunein sound quality. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Completely agree.

I, too, agree. I Dropped Tidal and now use Amazon HD and also Spotify because my wife has a family plan for Spotify at her work. Amazon HD sounds really good and most of the music I liked on Tidal did not even come in MQA versions and my non MQA R2R  DAC sounded better than the dacs in the bluesound node 2i

i do not miss Tidal at all.

• 1 month later...

I use tidal and love it. I compared to Amazon HD streaming and found that only the ultraHD recordings in Amazon streaming are of good quality. Amazon's price is good at $7.99 a month for Prime users.

I wish Tidal had click and drag capability to store music in folders. Also it would be nice if you could click on the track, rather than the white arrow.

• Like 1